Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I bought two Chibsons - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I bought two Chibsons

What's Hot
Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
edited September 2023 in Guitar
I’ve watched loads of YouTube Chibson videos over the years and never thought about buying one.
That was until a mate bought one a few months ago from a eBay seller not from Aly Express.
So I thought I would give it ago.
I basically went for two very rare guitars that if you can find them now they are silly money, and one the RD has a load of electronics in it I wouldn’t want anyway.
So I placed the order for a RD and a Moderne.
Both guitars arrived after 13 days which was great fast service.
Both guitars frets needed a polish and fret boards needed a drink and new strings.
Im going to replace all the gold screws for better quality ones.
Other than that I’m really impressed with the build and sound quality of both of these guitars.
I don’t know who’s building these but they are doing a great job of it.
Better than some other makes of guitars I’ve bought over the years.
Has anyone on here had good results buying Chibsons ?

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Has anyone on here had good results buying Chibsons ?

Yes…and no.

Yes - I’ve owned over 40, mainly LPs, but some Firebirds, SGs and Explorers too, mostly purchased from people who had already imported them (some already set up, others box-fresh). 99% have needed the usual setup/tinkering, nothing more. I’ve still got maybe 8-10.

No - Someone I knew used to bring these over by the pallet-load, years ago. Very much a mixed bag - some were little more than firewood, some were OK-ish, some just needed a bit of fettling and a few were fine out of the box.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have, it's my second-longest owned guitar and I still play it regularly! I've done a lot of work on it though mostly out of choice rather than necessity; I'll likely refret it next year as I've never been wholely sold on the stock ones and they're starting to show wear & tear now.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/11943/custom-chibson-experience-internals-vid-added/p1
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/15099/chibson-es-335-modding-blogumentary/p1

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I keep seeing 'replicas' of the George Lynch 'Kamikaze' ESP on eBay...I always loved the look of that guitar in the '80s, and keep wondering whether i should take a punt on one of these or not.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    What would one have to cough up for (say) the RD?  Ballpark?  Intrigued.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I remember that original thread @guitargeek62 - and you’ve still got it !!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTony said:
    TTony said:
    Hahah Me Too !
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023
    Offset said:
    I paid £275 inc free delivery for the RD shaped guitar that was the asking price.
    You can put in an offer and they give you three cheaper prices to choose from.
    I personally thought £275 was a fair price.
    The Moderne was £280 again you can make an offer but I thought that was also a fair price.
    I think using EBay and PayPal together one is covered as apposed to buying directly from Aliexpress .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Offset said:
    I paid £275 inc free delivery for the RD shaped guitar that was the asking price.
    The Moderne was £280 again you can make an offer but I thought that was also a fair price.
    I think using EBay and PayPal together one is covered as apposed to buying directly from Aliexpress .
    When they advertise them on eBay they don't display the logo do they?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99 said:
    Offset said:
    When they advertise them on eBay they don't display the logo do they?

I found some don't, some do, and others gof for the blurry inbetween.
  • Obviously they don’t use names.
    You just check out the pictures.
    This is the EBay seller I used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/gbselectricguitars

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Go ed I'll take a firebird
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Obviously they don’t use names.
    You just check out the pictures.
    This is the EBay seller I used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/gbselectricguitars

Looking at the Kami on there; did you get stung for customs charges?
    carlos said:
    I dunno @carlos ; coz the page ain't found!

• TTony said:
    I do indeed, it's genuinely a great guitar! Currently it's rocking a 59/JB set which don't quite suit it - I'm planning to revert back to the mojo'tron setup at some point though I might go over to Crimson again and do a pickup winding course there so it could well end up with a set of self-wound trons :)
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Why buy Chibsons when you can buy Harley Benton s and know you are going to get good quality before you part with your cash? I think Thomann would be a better option, if you did have a problem. No hassle returns etc.
    Please note that is only my opinion. Guitars from an unknown source could be very problematic.
    bluecat said:
    Why buy Chibsons when you can buy Harley Benton s and know you are going to get good quality before you part with your cash? I think Thomann would be a better option, if you did have a problem. No hassle returns etc.
    Please note that is only my opinion. Guitars from an unknown source could be very problematic.
    I guess because HB don't make RD and Moderne copies :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023
    Offset said:
    bluecat said:
    I guess because HB don't make RD and Moderne copies :-)
    Yeah very good answer.
    Ive had loads of HB guitars with issues over the years and definitely won’t be buying any more of them.
    OK, that's a very good answer Offset. Quite true.
  • I keep seeing 'replicas' of the George Lynch 'Kamikaze' ESP on eBay...I always loved the look of that guitar in the '80s, and keep wondering whether i should take a punt on one of these or not.
    Pictures if you do ,kamikazes are ace 
    Pictures if you do ,kamikazes are ace 
    This is the one I was looking at: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394606035777
  • I was intrigued by the OP so I've revisited the whole concept of buying a Chibson and read up / watched some vid clips.

This one is of particular interest ... fuqqme ... if they are consistently this good then I need to consider an acquisition :astonished: 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Why would support the fakery market, just so you can save a few quid yourself. Don’t get it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Why would support the fakery market, just so you can save a few quid yourself. Don’t get it. 
    In general I have no issue if they don't have a fake name on the headstock. If it has Gibson on the headstock and is not made by Gibson it's a forgery. Now I understand that folks will get their panties in a bunch saying they are 'replicas' and that if making replicas is a crime, it's a victimless one ... as Gibson are a big faceless company who probably overcharges anyway, makes shoddy products, yada yada yada. However much folks say these guitars are keepers and will never get out onto the market ... we all know that we are mortal, can get short of money ... whatever it takes ... they get into the market and it only takes one 'wrong-un' somewhere further along the line to defraud a buyer. 

Why not have a blank headstock or your own made up name? 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    You could not have said that any better.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    early adopter - 2007  Tele from china via German bulk importer. They were listed from 99p on ebay over a few months; different colours/models. I snagged mine for £15 and you only have to see the wear on ffretboard to see how much it has been played. Is a great sounding guitar and good neck to boot. Silver sparkle was good enough for Lou Reed...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My one was an exercise in curiosity many, many, many moons ago. The Trini hasn’t had a ‘budget’ reissue at all, and I wasn’t in a position to buy a Gibson reissue back then so it seemed like a reasonable option - my only regret is not ordering it with a non-G logo tbh.  I do agree with the consensus of buying existing brand guitars where available, but in situations like this where there isn’t an equivalent alternative I don’t really see the harm.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    dindude said:
    In general I have no issue if they don't have a fake name on the headstock. If it has Gibson on the headstock and is not made by Gibson it's a forgery. Now I understand that folks will get their panties in a bunch saying they are 'replicas' and that if making replicas is a crime, it's a victimless one ... as Gibson are a big faceless company who probably overcharges anyway, makes shoddy products, yada yada yada. However much folks say these guitars are keepers and will never get out onto the market ... we all know that we are mortal, can get short of money ... whatever it takes ... they get into the market and it only takes one 'wrong-un' somewhere further along the line to defraud a buyer. 

Why not have a blank headstock or your own made up name? 

Agree, I have no problem with copying a design as long as it’s with it the confines of the law. My main guitar is a K-Line Springfield as I happen to think they make a better Strat than a corporation with the right name run by an ex-Nike exec. But, pedalling illegal trademark infringements seems like a stretch too far. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    TTony said:
    I do indeed, it's genuinely a great guitar! Currently it's rocking a 59/JB set which don't quite suit it - I'm planning to revert back to the mojo'tron setup at some point though I might go over to Crimson again and do a pickup winding course there so it could well end up with a set of self-wound trons :)
    Given your “scorched earth” approach to guitar ownership it is remarkable that you still own this guitar !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter