Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I bought two Chibsons - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I bought two Chibsons

What's Hot

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    I'd never buy one no matter how good they are. There's plenty of good guitars in this price range that were made by genuine companies without ripping others off. 
    Sorry I just can't get past the thing that they use the gibson name and claim to be made in USA. No matter how expensive or overpriced some Gibsons are these days. 
    Even my local guitar shop sells these, I think taken in a part ex rather than being distributors or something (we're authorised chibson dealers! LOL). 
    I love guitars way too much to support this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited September 2023
    Wish I hadn’t read this thread!  For some time I’ve had a niiggle, that I would like a Kirk Hammet Ouija more as a piece of wall art as opposed to a serious gig machine but the £3k price tag made it a pipe dream but https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005949364608.html 

Nb Mrs. M doesn’t agree, it’s got to be the real thing!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have to agree. I would never knowingly buy a fake guitar like this. Copies are fine,  but branding them with the original brands, and claiming a different country of origin is just wrong, and I’d feel like by buying one I was fuelling the whole fake guitar industry by helping to create a demand for them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    dindude said:
    Why would support the fakery market, just so you can save a few quid yourself. Don’t get it. 
    In general I have no issue if they don't have a fake name on the headstock. If it has Gibson on the headstock and is not made by Gibson it's a forgery. Now I understand that folks will get their panties in a bunch saying they are 'replicas' and that if making replicas is a crime, it's a victimless one ... as Gibson are a big faceless company who probably overcharges anyway, makes shoddy products, yada yada yada. However much folks say these guitars are keepers and will never get out onto the market ... we all know that we are mortal, can get short of money ... whatever it takes ... they get into the market and it only takes one 'wrong-un' somewhere further along the line to defraud a buyer. 

Why not have a blank headstock or your own made up name? 

So as a company that manufactures it's own pickups, spends money on developing new ones, marketing them and such, it's ok for me to buy a few of your pickups, send them to China to be reversed engineered, and have a factory churn out hundreds of copies at a fraction of the cost - though not necessarily quality China can make great quality as well as cheap shit, and take advantage of the name, reputation and marketing you have built up with a lot of time, effort, and spent hard earned money on?  It is after all as you yourself state a ''victimless crime''.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe said:
    early adopter - 2007  Tele from china via German bulk importer. They were listed from 99p on ebay over a few months; different colours/models. I snagged mine for £15 and you only have to see the wear on ffretboard to see how much it has been played. Is a great sounding guitar and good neck to boot. Silver sparkle was good enough for Lou Reed...

No offence, but that looks like a £15 guitar. Glad you like it though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Digging the moderne. Glad it worked out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Why would support the fakery market, just so you can save a few quid yourself. Don’t get it. 
    In general I have no issue if they don't have a fake name on the headstock. If it has Gibson on the headstock and is not made by Gibson it's a forgery. Now I understand that folks will get their panties in a bunch saying they are 'replicas' and that if making replicas is a crime, it's a victimless one ... as Gibson are a big faceless company who probably overcharges anyway, makes shoddy products, yada yada yada. However much folks say these guitars are keepers and will never get out onto the market ... we all know that we are mortal, can get short of money ... whatever it takes ... they get into the market and it only takes one 'wrong-un' somewhere further along the line to defraud a buyer. 

Why not have a blank headstock or your own made up name? 

So as a company that manufactures it's own pickups, spends money on developing new ones, marketing them and such, it's ok for me to buy a few of your pickups, send them to China to be reversed engineered, and have a factory churn out hundreds of copies at a fraction of the cost - though not necessarily quality China can make great quality as well as cheap shit, and take advantage of the name, reputation and marketing you have built up with a lot of time, effort, and spent hard earned money on?  It is after all as you yourself state a ''victimless crime''.
    You totally mistake what I said ... I didn't stat it was a victimless crime I said: 
    'folks will get their panties in a bunch saying they are 'replicas' and that if making replicas is a crime, it's a victimless one'
    As such i was stating that's what folks would say ... not what I would say. 
    It is a crime to rip off other peoples trademarks and patents, it is illegal to sell instruments that infringe trademark/patent, and personally I think it's morally questionable to own one. 
    I have less of a problem with an instrument that has no forged logo ... that was my point. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrBob said:
    TTony said:
    I remember that original thread @guitargeek62 - and you’ve still got it !!!
    I do indeed, it's genuinely a great guitar! Currently it's rocking a 59/JB set which don't quite suit it - I'm planning to revert back to the mojo'tron setup at some point though I might go over to Crimson again and do a pickup winding course there so it could well end up with a set of self-wound trons :)
    Given your “scorched earth” approach to guitar ownership it is remarkable that you still own this guitar !
    Haha touché! Even if it was legal to sell this one as-is with the G-logo I strongly suspect it would have survived my Stalin-istic culls, it’s just a pleasure to play and has a strong sentimental attachment too by now. :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'm getting myself one of these babies:

Picture 1 of 6
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    And one of these:

Picture 2 of 7
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    I'm getting myself one of these babies:

Picture 1 of 6
    It'll never fit in that case mind! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Obviously they don’t use names.
    You just check out the pictures.
    This is the EBay seller I used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/gbselectricguitars

Looking at the Kami on there; did you get stung for customs charges?
    I'm interested to know if @Fingers657 paid customs charges too?

They do a Kirk Hammett Karloff Mummy guitar that I wouldn't mind at ~£250, going by this feedback though I might give it a miss...

"Really bad finish on the guitar the image was blurry and badly placed and missing in places, have returned the guitar and receive as refund  ,the seller was helpful with the return and refunded promptly,just a shame the item was so poorly finished"

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    I'm quite sure a lot of these sellers put up pictures of far nicer guitars than what you might end up with too.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Half the body is missing, looks more like a real axe for chopping down trees.
  • They do a Kirk Hammett Karloff Mummy guitar that I wouldn't mind at ~£250, going by this feedback though I might give it a miss...

"Really bad finish on the guitar the image was blurry and badly placed and missing in places, have returned the guitar and receive as refund  ,the seller was helpful with the return and refunded promptly,just a shame the item was so poorly finished"

And I've just realised there actually is an 'ESP' logo on that one I linked to (black on black so hard to spot), so it's not a tribute - it's a counterfeit. Avoiding. 
    tFB Trader
    They do a Kirk Hammett Karloff Mummy guitar that I wouldn't mind at ~£250, going by this feedback though I might give it a miss...

And I've just realised there actually is an 'ESP' logo on that one I linked to (black on black so hard to spot), so it's not a tribute - it's a counterfeit. Avoiding. 
    What I struggle to get my head around with 'fake brand' Chibsons is who is trying to fool who - and why? What are they for?

I just had a glorious 1965 Firebird 7 in for work ... I would kill for one ... and yes I could buy a fake Chinese one. But firstly I couldn't fool myself it was genuine ... and why would I want to? I could pose in the mirror and pretend I was Johnny Winter ... but I grew out of that at fourteen. It wont play like a Gibson unless I spend a truck load on upgrades ... and then it will almost certainly be made of cheaper wood ... 
    So do I want to fool other guitarists that I'm Joe Bonamassa and have a multi million dollar guitar collection? Well they won't believe that down at the Dog and Duck. 
    So what are they for when we have Epiphone, Harley Benton ... etc etc?   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I just had a glorious 1965 Firebird 7 in for work ... I would kill for one ... and yes I could buy a fake Chinese one. But firstly I couldn't fool myself it was genuine ... and why would I want to? I could pose in the mirror and pretend I was Johnny Winter ... but I grew out of that at fourteen.
    I'm 63 next month, and I've never grown out of it :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickups said: What I struggle to get my head around with 'fake brand' Chibsons is who is trying to fool who - and why? What are they for?

I just had a glorious 1965 Firebird 7 in for work ... I would kill for one ... and yes I could buy a fake Chinese one. But firstly I couldn't fool myself it was genuine ... and why would I want to? I could pose in the mirror and pretend I was Johnny Winter ... but I grew out of that at fourteen. It wont play like a Gibson unless I spend a truck load on upgrades ... and then it will almost certainly be made of cheaper wood ... 
    So do I want to fool other guitarists that I'm Joe Bonamassa and have a multi million dollar guitar collection? Well they won't believe that down at the Dog and Duck. 

Maybe you just love the look of a certain guitarist's signature instrument, and would enjoy playing something similar? My issue with signature guitars is that I can't bring myself to play a guitar with someone else's actual name on it; like, I love the Jem 555 but it has an inlay with 'Steve Vai' on one of the upper frets, and that's a deal-breaker for me. Steve is awesome; he's also not me. I have the Tony Iommi signature Epi SG and I adore it (the pickups are bloody amazing), but if it had Iommi's name inlaid into the neck I wouldn't have wanted it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    OilCityPickups said: What I struggle to get my head around with 'fake brand' Chibsons is who is trying to fool who - and why? What are they for?

Maybe you just love the look of a certain guitarist's signature instrument, and would enjoy playing something similar? My issue with signature guitars is that I can't bring myself to play a guitar with someone else's actual name on it; like, I love the Jem 555 but it has an inlay with 'Steve Vai' on one of the upper frets, and that's a deal-breaker for me. Steve is awesome; he's also not me. I have the Tony Iommi signature Epi SG and I adore it (the pickups are bloody amazing), but if it had Iommi's name inlaid into the neck I wouldn't have wanted it.
    I get that but then I'm really into Les Pauls so..
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    tony99 said:
    I'm quite sure a lot of these sellers put up pictures of far nicer guitars than what you might end up with too.
    I'm on dating apps, so I'm used to it.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023
    Going back to the OP, I do think the RD and Moderne look cool and, as far as I can see, well made.  I wouldn't be comfortable buying them though, due to the name on the headstock... but if they used a brand name of their own I'd consider it.

The whole Chibson concept seems a bit odd to me.  No-one - or hardly anyone - would be fooled into thinking they're genuine, and there are so many legitimate brands making Gibson copies, or near-copies, anyway.  What's the point of using a brand name fraudulently?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Philly_Q said:
    Going back to the OP, I do think the RD and Moderne look cool and, as far as I can see, well made.  I wouldn't be comfortable buying them though, due to the name on the headstock... but if they used a brand name of their own I'd consider it.

The whole Chibson concept seems a bit odd to me.  No-one - or hardly anyone - would be fooled into thinking they're genuine, and there are so many legitimate brands making Gibson copies, or near-copies, anyway.  What's the point of using a brand name fraudulently?
    Dunno. Anyone have Slash's contact details?
    https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/a-look-back-at-slashs-les-paul-standard-copy
    Also https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/meet-fake-les-paul-worth-more-your-car
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Philly_Q said:

I was thinking strictly of the Chibson phenomenon... but good point, well made.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

I was thinking strictly of the Chibson phenomenon... but good point, well made.
    Not attempting to being a smartarse about what is a very complex issue (well, it is to me...) but there are some unusual philosophically based body swerves applied to guitars such as we have been discussing.
    Discuss :-D
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    edited October 2023
    My thoughts on the Ethics is I don’t care to be honest because they won’t ever be sold on.
    Ive got a very large collection of guitars that include Fenders Gibson’s Yamaha Epiphone inspired by Gibsons Burns Vintage Danelectro HB PRS Hofner Squire Larry Carlton and many others.
    I was a big fan of the late great CGS / China Guitar Sceptic YouTube channel for years .
    So thought I would try a couple just for fun something to do .
    Im quite impressed so far and guessing these are coming out of the same Chinese factories as well known makes.
    I decided to buy another two A Chibson  and a Yamason 
  • carlos said:
    tony99 said:
    I'm on dating apps, so I'm used to it.
    That made me laugh man.

• Jonny the budget guitar show on YouTube was sent a limited edition Fazley guitar to review by Bax music a few weeks back.
    It was a nice looking guitar.
    Then he found out the same guitar was for sale on amazon Germany under a different name for lots less money.
    So he bought to check out.
    IMO it was a much better looking guitar because of its much nicer scratch plate.
    Nobody in their right mind would counterfeit Fazley guitars .
    It’s basically a Chinese factory doing a run of same guitars for Bax and another company .
    Top Japanese factories used to do exactly the same in the 70s 80s 90s
    lots of the same guitars with different names on them.

• Sassafras said:
    And one of these:

"Other customers who bought this also reccommend our "Sabre tooth" look fur loincloth and "Horned Helm".
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    edited October 2023
    I added a poker chip and cream switch tip and removed the badly fitted metal scratch plate bracket and fixed directly to the body of the Yamason.
    I haven’t done anything to the Ace three humbucker Chibson except adding the poker chip new strings and a bit of a set up.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter