Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stuff you believe is true - but might not be ? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stuff you believe is true - but might not be ?

What's Hot

Comments

• I remember my brother telling me that insects don't drown, they can be underwater for ages and be fine. And he is, or was, a vet.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Stuckfast said:
    I remember my brother telling me that insects don't drown, they can be underwater for ages and be fine. And he is, or was, a vet.
    Of course he’s a vet, he’s been in the vater. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Stuckfast said:
    I remember my brother telling me that insects don't drown, they can be underwater for ages and be fine. And he is, or was, a vet.
    They don't drown, but suffocate instead due to how they breathe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    Porsche designed the beetle. 
    Beeching closed all/vast majority of the disused railways (pretty sure this one isn’t true but I thought it for years.)

Probably loads more that I can’t be bothered to google. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Not sure if true or not

in freezing outside conditions, put a jug of hot water and a jug of cold water and apparently the jug of hot water will freeze first 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 673
    JAYJO said:
    If you die in your dream you don't wake up
    I can categorically state this isn't true, I have on more than one occasion died in a dream. Once through a gunshot to the head actually.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm not sure if it will freeze first, as much as it will freeze at a quicker rate, if that makes sense. Again, ive not googled that to check
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I seem to remember that the hotter something is the more quickly it loses heat. But then presumably at some point the jug of hot water catches up with the jug of cold water and they then freeze at the same rate? 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    The hot water thing applies to a very narrow and specific set of circumstances.

Two jugs in the garden do not meet the requirements. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    What ever you do don’t mention tone woods are better as we’ll never hear the end of it 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    JAYJO said:
    Definitely not true. I dreamt I was being chased in Chicago and I fell from the roof of a building trying to jump across to another. I felt the fall, saw the ground rushing towards me, the split-second hit and then blackness. 

Then I woke up, no sweats or panic or anything.

But I will never go to Chicago, because I believe I will fall off a building there. I won't, but that's still what I believe.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited September 2023
    Yeah I have a kind of recurring dream (well technically theme and variations I suppose) where I fall dramatically off really high things and die, usually roller coasters, quarries, cliffs etc. It's a bit sombre at the time but I'm pretty sure I'm not dead.

Unless this is all some kind of sick purgatorial joke of course

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gods exist only as a way to control the masses
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    sev112 said:
    It works with fish and lobsters, because they don’t drown 
    Try freeze-drying them , that should work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1470
    Shrews said:
    JAYJO said:
    Definitely not true. I dreamt I was being chased in Chicago and I fell from the roof of a building trying to jump across to another. I felt the fall, saw the ground rushing towards me, the split-second hit and then blackness. 

Then I woke up, no sweats or panic or anything.

But I will never go to Chicago, because I believe I will fall off a building there. I won't, but that's still what I believe.

I've had similar falling dreams and dreams of diving from a great height headfirst onto a rock but i always seem to wake up at the point of impact. Horrible nightmares. Happy to hear you don't die and very glad you Didn't. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    david icke is just a conspiracy nutter.

link to 10 min extract of a 1994 speech. 3 years after his appearance on the wogan show. 

https://archive.org/details/BitChute-TUMkjJ0LCfw

Dont worry, be silly.
  • If you upgraded the pickups in a Harley Benton it will be better than................................................................

I'll get my coat.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think my one would be, that I believe most people open bananas the wrong way around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    How do you know you die in your dreams?  If it all goes black, you might be just unconscious 
    I died in a dream once. Stabbed through the heart by a cossack, and I was a ghost for the rest of the dream. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Standing in front of a mirror and saying "Candyman" five times is not worth the risk.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    If its a one-way mirror, does he get trapped on the other side? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Sporky said:
    If its a one-way mirror, does he get trapped on the other side? 
    Dunno, but I'm not putting it to the test.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Father Christmas
    tFB Trader
    Kilgore said:
    Father Christmas
    And don’t forget the tooth fairy 
  • Kilgore said:
    Father Christmas
    And don’t forget the tooth fairy 
    Talking of the tooth fairy I’m wondering if #Phily_Q  has seen darkness falls 
    a brilliant film of the horror variety with a great plot . 
  • My grandad once said that blood is blues green it only turns red when it’s exposed to the air 
      12 or 13 year old me mentioned this to my biology teacher  who said with a laugh , well yours may be , lol .  I was one of the top of my class in biology ,chemistry and physics at the time  grandad let me down big time . I was at this school for 2 years longest we’d stayed anywhere so had progressed quite well . Quite a few more moves later I was back to being thick 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    I believe its true but have never bothered checking to find out if googling to find out if something is true really works in the first place
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    I’ve not given this much thought.  I can’t think of anything in particular that I believe to be true.  I guess Ill go with:

Electricity comes from other planets.
  • As a Warrington Wolves supporter I firmly believe that It's always our year