Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Harley Benton Guitars…. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Harley Benton Guitars….

What's Hot

Comments

• I do like the look of their 335 style models. I am happy with my Jet Tele as it's not too heavy at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I've been informed that the 335 a-likes are havily based on the Washburns from a few years back. fwiw.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    some of them are very good
    The SC550 I bought is USA quality I think, I suspect the Fusion ones too
    The Amarok is very cheap, but there are a few QC niggles: the pots are the wrong values, which they did resolve for me

I think all the ones in the current special offer are pretty good

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFish said:
    I've been informed that the 335 a-likes are havily based on the Washburns from a few years back. fwiw.
    Is that a positive or a negative? I'm not too familiar with Washburn and have never owned one.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Pretty good, I think. I'd see it as a plus that they've taken a template from a design known to work.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    edited October 2023
    I have one of these arriving tomorrow 

shall report back 

https://i.imgur.com/YGJPWyg.jpeg
    Right update time 

it’s heavy , like almost 9lb heavy 
    plugged in tonight and it’s very nice , loads of bite in the p90 . smashed in a few green day  tracks this evening and it’s sounds great 

for £110 I’m not sure you could get much better if I’m honest 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    I have one of these arriving tomorrow 

shall report back 

https://i.imgur.com/YGJPWyg.jpeg
    Right update time 

plugged in tonight and it’s very nice , loads of bite in the p90 . smashed in a few green day  tracks this evening and it’s sounds great 

A 9lb SG Jr?

Holy feck!

That would be a deal breaker for me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    I've bought quite a few
    The QC is not like PRS SE, but not far off Fender
    The higher priced ones are way better
    Meant to reply to this yesterday- I would suspect you're right, but the only problem is that quite a lot of the time the model you want is only available at one price point!

(Also admittedly sometimes the cheaper ones are so cheap that they're hard to resist whereas the dearer ones are dear enough that you have to really want/need one!)
    I think all the ones in the current special offer are pretty good
    Yeah I'm struggling to remember exactly what was available last time but I seem to remember there not being all that much that I was interested in (apart from the Filtertron Tele in a different colour which I eventually caved and ordered this time)- whereas this time there are several "interesting" options.

Right update time 

Thanks for the update :) Wow, that's pretty heavy for a Jr- I thought Meranti was supposed to be lightish? Maybe I'm wrong there.

But you're quite right- for the price, it's hard to complain. I just wonder if the fat neck Jr is a bit lighter, it's specced as mahogany I think (though what wood that actually will be is another thing!).

How does it play? Glad it sounds great (kind of suspected it would, I get the feeling those Roswell pickups are decent at least, and the Tesla ones pretty darn good, based on  videos).
  • Weird, my DC Jr was practically a featherweight!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    Weird, my DC Jr was practically a featherweight!
    Weight does seem to be pretty variable with HBs- was yours the fat neck version? EDIT: actually I'm not sure that matters- both versions of the DC Jr (plus the SC Jr) are specced as "mahogany", it's just the SG Jr which is specced as meranti.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    I've not weighed the V I have but it's extremely light, feels like there is nothing of it.. though it is a smaller overall body I guess. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 3922
    edited October 2023
    skunkwerx said:
    I've not weighed the V I have but it's extremely light, feels like there is nothing of it.. though it is a smaller overall body I guess. 
    My Fusion is my lightest guitar, too.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

edited October 2023
    BigPaulie said:
    The only HB that currently tickles my fancy is the Aeolus.

I did have a hankering for a Fusion for a while as I was looking for a trem equipped super-strat/tele, but that itch has been well and truly scratched by my 1996 Yamaha Pacifica 604W.

The thing with HB guitars that puts me off is Thomann's excellent quality hi-res imagery. When I zoom in to areas of detail such as binding or scraped edges, soundholes/f-holes, inlays, purfling etc they always look really sloppy. You may say "what do you expect for a guitar that cost £X?" But when people say "Harley Benton instruments aren't just good for the money, they're just good full-stop" that statement doesn't add up alongside some of the horrific build quality that can be clearly seen in those photos.
    Seems I may have spoken out of turn.

I've had some time on my hands with covid so have had a look at some of the Thomann pictures and can no longer find many examples of the horrors described above (though the Aeolus f-holes still look messy). They've either improved the quality of the instruments or are getting better at choosing good examples to photograph.

I really want the former to be the case. As well as the Aeolus I like the look of the TE62DB and would like to put a P90 in the neck. The SC Special is also attractive as I could do with a P90 equipped guitar. They would have to be light though (under 3.4kg for T types and under 3.2kg for LP Special/Jr types).
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 65
    Dave_Mc said:
    My Filtertron Tele's on the way. Not sure how long it'll be... maybe end of the week if I'm lucky, but more probably early next week I would guess.

Interested to hear what that one's like, @mikeyrob73 ;

Ditto @chor808 ;
    Still waiting DHL don't seem to know where it is :-(
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    chor808 said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    My Filtertron Tele's on the way. Not sure how long it'll be... maybe end of the week if I'm lucky, but more probably early next week I would guess.

Interested to hear what that one's like, @mikeyrob73 ;

Ditto @chor808 ;
    Probably means its not in the country yet - last time I ordered from Thomann that was the reason DHL tracking hadn't started.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Aye mine didn’t show on dhl till it hit the country and then was here next day 
    Cleared customs a couple of days ago. Now saying package delayed. Will chase in the morning..... Maybe Gibson have abducted it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    BigPaulie said:
    Seems I may have spoken out of turn.

I've had some time on my hands with covid so have had a look at some of the Thomann pictures and can no longer find many examples of the horrors described above (though the Aeolus f-holes still look messy). They've either improved the quality of the instruments or are getting better at choosing good examples to photograph.

I really want the former to be the case. As well as the Aeolus I like the look of the TE62DB and would like to put a P90 in the neck. The SC Special is also attractive as I could do with a P90 equipped guitar. They would have to be light though (under 3.4kg for T types and under 3.2kg for LP Special/Jr types).
    I have seen a few close-ups which didn't look too great- but I've also seen plenty which looked pretty good, at least to my uneducated eye. Definitely agree with you, I hope they're getting better and not just picking better ones to photograph!

chor808 said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Interested to hear what that one's like, @mikeyrob73 ;;;

Ditto @chor808 ;;;
    Ah that sucks I hope it turns up sooner rather than later  

Mine's still saying it's "on the way to the border" (it doesn't specify what border that is s ), and I don't even seem to have a tracking number! EDIT: No, I'm wrong, I do have a tracking number- it was only in my shipping confirmation email and not in my Thomann account when I log in. No word yet when I tracked it, I guess that means it hasn't got through UK customs yet.

Not too worried yet, it was only sent on Monday evening so it's still well within the normal delivery timeframe for them I think.
  • Mine have taken 5 working days to arrive each time. No movement at all on Saturday and Sundays. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Managed at speak to a human at DHL, it's on the van apparently...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steve91steve91 Frets: 16
    chor808 said:
    Managed at speak to a human at DHL, it's on the van apparently...
    Having previously worked for DHL, I can safely say that is an educated guess by them at best. Fingers crossed you get it today though!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    And nothing has arrived :-(. It's been in and out of a van about ten times, it's going to be road worn when it arrives...DHL relic
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Chill. It'll get there when it gets there. Be cool
    edited October 2023
    Mine have taken 5 working days to arrive each time. No movement at all on Saturday and Sundays. 
    Looks like that's what's happening with mine- the tracking updated today (and I got an email with my tracking number etc. so I was worrying about nothing) and it's got through customs today but isn't going to be delivered to me in Northern Ireland until Tuesday. I guess (assuming it does arrive on Tuesday) that'll be 6 working days since it was sent last Monday. Bit worse than pre-Brexit (it usually used to arrive on a Thursday if you ordered on a Sunday IIRC), but not too bad.

Sorry to hear yours hasn't turned up yet @chor808 :(
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    Mine is now with my guitar tech being fettled and modded. He said that out of the box it was utterly shit ... one of the buckers was dead and the action was very high. 

I'm not worrying at all because the Alegreen P90s arrived too and my first experience will be with a new, pro set-up, three P90, SG in about 10 days.

Getting excited now :+1: 

stufisher said:
    Mine is now with my guitar tech being fettled and modded. He said that out of the box it was utterly shit ... one of the buckers was dead and the action was very high. 

I'm not worrying at all because the Alegreen P90s arrived too and my first experience will be with a new, pro set-up, three P90, SG in about 10 days.

Getting excited now :+1: 

Wow- did you get a B-stock one or a full-price (well, full sale price, you know what I mean!) one?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    @stufisher;; Email them and tell them that the pickup didn't work, and that you have had to pay a technician to swap it.  I had one with a dodgy tuner (bent button shaft on vintage Kluson type) and, even though I had a set I was planning on transplanting anyway, I emailed them and said I had fixed it using my own set of tuners.  I was offered something like a £15 voucher or my choice of something to that value for free.  I asked for two sets of acoustic strings and received them with an apology.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Still no where to be seen. DHL doing a sweep of the warehouse this morning to find it else it's lost. Will contact Thomman this morning again..:-(
    chor808 said:
    Still no where to be seen. DHL doing a sweep of the warehouse this morning to find it else it's lost. Will contact Thomman this morning again..:-(

Lost! Anyway will await a refund :-(