Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Harley Benton Guitars…. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Harley Benton Guitars….

What's Hot

Comments

• Pjon said:

I also spotted Louise Wener playing the same colour Fender on a rerun of TOTP a few weeks ago. Looks better in her hands than in mine. :D 
    We might be a similar "certain age".

Still, she's a good girl ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    I bought a Harley Benton a couple of months ago, it was the Mosrite (or Moswrong!) type with P90s.

I've only ever come across Harley Benton twice before - my brother lives in the Czech Republic and shares a rehearsal studio with a band whose guitarists have one of the Rickie style ones and a kit Jazzmaster with stop tail. (My understanding that the HB guitars are a very good deal in Czechia.) Those guitars were perfectly okay, but didn't blow my socks off. My brother said that the guys who own them told him that they were put together well and played well but they found them a bit lacking for recording.

The HB Mosrite I got was very well finished, the pickups (which apparently are AlNiCo 5 P90 Tye's) sounded really good and overall it was a lot of fun to play. As well as being remarkably versatile.

When I tried to lower the action however there were a couple of high frets. I've since had this seen to by a tech and it's now pretty much ideal for that type of non-trem rock-and-roll animal. It is a lot of fun to play, and as I said is really quite versatile.

I haven't done any demos or recording with it yet but I am really happy with the sound of the the pickups, as opposed the my brother's pals. Actually, while it was on order I figured that I might have to replace the pickups and the Badass-style bridge - solely due to the cost of guitar I assumed they would be less than ideal - but it is all working well and sounds great to my ear.

I primarily thought that the German Carve and blue-metallic paint were going to be the best things on it, however the neck and playability and the pickups are probably what I'd recommend first if someone asked my thoughts on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I currently have this HB Les Paul in "basket hover" mode...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_550_ii_dfb.htm
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    I already have three HBs ... a DC Jr P90, a TE52 and GS Travel e spruce electro-acoustic.
    All are great VFM and I play them all regularly.

However, I couldn't resist the ridiculously low price points in the current sale:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254372/harley-benton-loyalty-sale-2-0-25-off-for-25-days-on-25-products

so I've actually ordered a SG DC600 VI, premium gig bag and three P90s from Alegreen to swap in.

All will be delivered to my preferred guitar tech this week so he'll do the pup swap and fettle/set up the guitar properly for me. I'll collect in about a fortnight from now at the same time I pick up three other guitars from him.

I did the numbers and the perfectly set up SG with three P90s (& gig bag) will cost under £300 all-in and I'll have a brand new set of three buckers that I'll probably sell-on.

My original intention was to acquire a pre-loved Yamaha Revstar RSS02 with P90s so I'm can't help thinking I've got a bit a steal bh comparison.

Anyway, all is contingent on delivery of a fundamentally sound guitar in the first place so fingers crossed it goes to plan. I'll update with some pics when all done.

Good old Harley Benton ... whoever he is :+1: 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    Is no point moaning about 'issues' with any HB model because when bought new from Thomann, you have 30 days to tell them to come and take it back if you don't like it.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022

That one looks great, just I already have an Edwards LP.

I did cave and order the Filtertron Tele in the 25 year loyalty sale. It was in stock when I ordered it but my order hasn't shipped yet and it's now saying 2-5 day availability- not sure whether I got unlucky and they all sold just before I got my order in, or whether they just haven't got around to shipping mine because of the weekend.

57Deluxe said:
    Is no point moaning about 'issues' with any HB model because when bought new from Thomann, you have 30 days to tell them to come and take it back if you don't like it.

I just noticed after I ordered that Thomann says that the 30 day return is free from the UK- that didn't used to be the case, did it? If I'd known that I'd likely have got a Harley Benton before now.

Hoping my Tele turns up before this sale ends- if it's great there are a few other cool ones in the sale as well. Couple of Juniors that are pretty nice, and that 3 pickup SG (awesome score @stufisher , be sure to let us all know what it's like!), and a Thunderbird bass (albeit with a weird switching system, or more accurately, no pickup switching!)...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Never heard of em
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    The only HB that currently tickles my fancy is the Aeolus.

I did have a hankering for a Fusion for a while as I was looking for a trem equipped super-strat/tele, but that itch has been well and truly scratched by my 1996 Yamaha Pacifica 604W.

The thing with HB guitars that puts me off is Thomann's excellent quality hi-res imagery. When I zoom in to areas of detail such as binding or scraped edges, soundholes/f-holes, inlays, purfling etc they always look really sloppy. You may say "what do you expect for a guitar that cost £X?" But when people say "Harley Benton instruments aren't just good for the money, they're just good full-stop" that statement doesn't add up alongside some of the horrific build quality that can be clearly seen in those photos.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've splashed out a lot lately, otherwise I'd be getting this magnificent looking thing as a nice counter-part to my Eastman not-J45. I wouln't expect much of the pickup, but a figured solid-Koa top on a £259 guitar is crazy.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_clp_15e_flame_koa_exotic.htm

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 65

Mine arrives tomorrow:-)
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I think over the years they have just got better and better.
    That is my opinion only.But I do see a lot of good reviews on here about them. I absolutely adore Jaguar cars, and owned many before retirement, I now run a nissan SUV. Wonderful car, returns 50 MPG and I can't fault it.
    Sometimes you have to cut your cloth accordingly.
    I know Harley Benton will never have the acclaim that Fender, Gibson etc etc will ever have, but they are very good if not excellent for the money.
    I have a Fender and a Harley Benton , I play the Harley Benton more.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2781
    Thoman are peng. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    blueskunk said:
    Thoman are peng. 
    -uin?
  • peng
    /pɛŋ/

adjectiveINFORMAL•BRITISH
    very appealing, attractive, or impressive (used as a general term of approval).
    "she looks ridiculously peng"

Never seen it used of a thing before, only of a person of the opposite sex.

Every day is a school day  :)
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    I have one of these arriving tomorrow 

shall report back 

https://i.imgur.com/YGJPWyg.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I have one of these arriving tomorrow 

shall report back 

https://i.imgur.com/YGJPWyg.jpeg
    Nothing wrong with that - it looks very nice.  I'll be interested to hear your report as the Tom Morello Strat is on my buy-list when it comes out next year.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730

I like the one I have, also!

It's in Skunkwerx spec now. 

Graphtech Ratio locking tuners. 
    Earvana Compensated nut. 
    Fretwork was finessed and fall away added. 
    Seymour Duncan Sh-6n and Sh-6b pickups. 
    Vol/vol/tone - both splittable. 
    CTS pots. 
    Upgraded jack and toggle switch. 
    Wiring was fully replaced. 
    Bridge was upgraded to a tonepros locking piece. 
    Iron Age Killswitch installed. 
    Poker chip/backplate and bridge plate were made by Tiny Tone and engraved. 
    Schaller locking strap pins. 
    Gold/gold/black knob. The originals were push fit, had to change these with the pots. 
    DR Black Beauties .10-46

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    My Filtertron Tele's on the way. Not sure how long it'll be... maybe end of the week if I'm lucky, but more probably early next week I would guess.

Interested to hear what that one's like, @mikeyrob73 ;

Ditto @chor808 ;
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    I've bought quite a few
    The QC is not like PRS SE, but not far off Fender
    The higher priced ones are way better
    The pricey indonesian made ones are at least as good as Mexican Fenders
    The SC550 is like a USA build, but as with all these, the pots and switches are not the best, they will replace for free though
    I'd assumed the Fusion III are at that level
    The Amarok are worth twice the price, but have the odd niggle

Overall I've had less issues than with Fender, Gibson and Schecter (who I rate highly), only PRS SE are better in my book
  • I didn't bother with the SC550 and went for the SC450 Plus instead. It's got a push pull volume pots to split the humbucker that the SC550 doesn't have. And it's cheaper. 
    ok so first impressions are good 

its heavier than expected , only had a quick strum when unpacking but nice size of neck, no finish flaws i can see 

will get some time plugged in later and update 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 598
    edited October 2023
    So there are some benefits of age related hearing loss!

Only joking of course @Voxsupertwin. I always think considering how many HB guitars are sold over here, relatively few seem to come to the secondhand market, or certainly the particular ones I try and find.
  • denz32denz32 Frets: 6
    Been discussed on here a few times but here’s my take .
    I’m 75, playing and gigging since 1958….so I’ve been round the block a few times ….

Bought many guitars over the years, cheap at the beginning and the big names later on…

Just arrived from Thomann, the HB 52 Style Tele ….
    at a  ridiculous price !

Unbelievable value, looks good, sounds good and plays great straight out of the box….

Thomann’s own brand, how they do it, why they do it at this money is baffling BUT this is a FINE instrument…

I’ve got a 70’s Fender Tele and TBH there’s very little, if anything between them, apart from the money….

So check Thomann out …..they have many HB guitars, right and left handed and well worth a look….

and if you don’t like your choice you can  send it back !!!

also, post Brexit, the price you pay, is the price you pay….delivered by DHL with no messing about….

there you go …… 

I'm only ten years and a bit younger than you ... and I'm amazed by the quality of so many Harley Benton, and indeed Fazley and Jet guitars that are available today. In my youth the cheap stuff was virtually unplayable ... and the choice was very limited. 
    There has really never been a better time to be a new, lower price guitar buyer. I record with a Harley Benton Jazz Bass copy ... with my own pickups ... and I love it. 
    Which model bass and which set of pickups did you go for? 

its heavier than expected , only had a quick strum when unpacking but nice size of neck, no finish flaws i can see 

How heavy? Usually those SG and Jr type guitars are pretty light.

Very interesting about the neck- I think it has the thinner neck? They also have the "fat" doublecut Jr model with the fatter neck (for a bit more money).

Thanks very much for the info so far :)

(Still no sign of mine, it's still in Germany I think. I think my initial estimate of late this week or early next is likely still accurate...)
  • peng
    /pɛŋ/

adjectiveINFORMAL•BRITISH
    very appealing, attractive, or impressive (used as a general term of approval).
    "she looks ridiculously peng"

Never seen it used of a thing before, only of a person of the opposite sex.

Every day is a school day  :)
    I think I now speak a completely different language to anybody under 40. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Dave_Mc said:

How heavy? Usually those SG and Jr type guitars are pretty light.

Very interesting about the neck- I think it has the thinner neck? They also have the "fat" doublecut Jr model with the fatter neck (for a bit more money).

Thanks very much for the info so far :)

(Still no sign of mine, it's still in Germany I think. I think my initial estimate of late this week or early next is likely still accurate...)
    no idea on weight and life got in the way last night so didnt get a chance to play it 

hopefully this evening and i shall stick it on the scales also 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    chor808 said:

Do report back your thoughts... :)
  • My Tele arrived yesterday. I’ll post a pic of my 3 HB’s later. 
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 65
    chor808 said:

Do report back your thoughts... :)
    Will do. Still waiting!