Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The greatest sporting fixture this weekend is taking part in Rome - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The greatest sporting fixture this weekend is taking part in Rome

What's Hot

Comments

• Dream start by Fleetwood Mc
    I literally  cringed when the commenter said it..

Dream start by Europe overall! 
    Dream start for USA ladies last friday, but yeah Captain seems to have paired well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Dream start by Fleetwood Mc
    They might even come up with an Albatross
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    They might even come up with an Albatross
    Here's hoping Europe win by a Landslide
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    I literally  cringed when the commenter said it..
    If they keep finding the 'Green' we won't be bothered - It's going well so far so Don't Stop
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Good start.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very impressive morning, a few potential wobbles soon rectified.

Lowry proper enjoyed it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Gotta love Lowry.  He's like an big overexcited kid in Ryder Cups.
    Gonna be a test in 4 balls.  Spieth/Thomas are more formidable as a pair than when they're on their own.  Koepka has been on form recently as well (then again Fowler has as well but he didn't do too well this morning).         
  • The rule is: If you can do it while you're smoking a cigarette it isn't a sport, it's a game.
    Ergo, golf is not a sport.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    So swimming isn't a sport? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Check out the Irish game of hurling!

After a night of serious drinking ANY nationality can take part in hurling.
    tFB Trader
    guyinlyon said:
    The rule is: If you can do it while you're smoking a cigarette it isn't a sport, it's a game.
    Try telling that to Socrates

I recall a football match I played in years ago and just before the start of the 2nd half our goalie lit up a fag - Within seconds of the restart we conceded a penalty - Our keeper kept the fag in his mouth as the penalty was been taken 
  • So who is going to be watching the Ryder Cup this weekend - Some of the world's finest players, competing as a team, for no wage or prize money 

I'm going to be working on Sunday at the Leeds Guitar Show so will have to make do with a hi-lights show and hopefully not know the outcome before hand - But will try and watch most of Fri + Sat play

My daughter is actually working at The Ryder Cup this weekend - Part of her Uni course in sports and business management - But she is getting paid for it, inc all exepnses, as it was not actually part of her course - But the lecturer/Uni gathers various data for business management from such events, for various sporting authorities, so she is assisting with this
    My nephew worked for Team GB. I don’t really understand what he did but there seemed to be a lot of working from home and then flying off to sporting events around the world. Great experience (he does promotional stuff for Warner Music now) I hope she enjoys it. 

A good chunk of my childhood was taken up with golf either caddying or watching it on TV. Other than a sentimental link to my father I don’t pay it any attention now but I'll express mild surprise that they have a world class golf course in Rome as of the many things it is famous for golf isn't one of them. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • guyinlyon said:
    The rule is: If you can do it while you're smoking a cigarette it isn't a sport, it's a game.
    I've seen people smoking while playing football, cricket, tennis, also while cycling, 
    Next time you troll come up with something new and original please.  Give us a challenge at least =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    The only worthwhile sport involving hitting a thing with a stick is ice hockey.

But I can imagine the excitement of skating at 25mph while doing it and avoiding or causing collisions would be unnerving to golf fans, possibly to the detriment of their pacemakers.
    Check out the Irish game of hurling!
    One of the Europe team would be excellent at hurling!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • guyinlyon said:
    Sporky said:
    So swimming isn't a sport? 
    Not if its backstroke
    edited September 2023
    So who is going to be watching the Ryder Cup this weekend - Some of the world's finest players, competing as a team, for no wage or prize money 

I'm going to be working on Sunday at the Leeds Guitar Show so will have to make do with a hi-lights show and hopefully not know the outcome before hand - But will try and watch most of Fri + Sat play

My daughter is actually working at The Ryder Cup this weekend - Part of her Uni course in sports and business management - But she is getting paid for it, inc all exepnses, as it was not actually part of her course - But the lecturer/Uni gathers various data for business management from such events, for various sporting authorities, so she is assisting with this
    My nephew worked for Team GB. I don’t really understand what he did but there seemed to be a lot of working from home and then flying off to sporting events around the world. Great experience (he does promotional stuff for Warner Music now) I hope she enjoys it. 

A good chunk of my childhood was taken up with golf either caddying or watching it on TV. Other than a sentimental link to my father I don’t pay it any attention now but I'll express mild surprise that they have a world class golf course in Rome as of the many things it is famous for golf isn't one of them. 
    Rome would be the least surprising country that has golf courses.  I'm more surprised that Singapore, Greenland and Iceland have golf courses.  Wasn't so long ago that Dubai and Qatar had fk all but sand but now they have lush green floodlit courses as well.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    S56035 said:
    Just watching Sky Sports News. Can't believe that not a single golfer thought "hey, I'll just pop out for a few hours without a cap so that my forehead tan can catch up". Not a man has done it.

Can't wait for tomorrow. 
    They probably did but their foreheads just really can't catch up =) 
    There are a few American's with out their caps on today so they're giving it ago.  

Great day of golf so far!
  • Europe team look to be enjoying it - easy said when you're winning quite convincingly - but they just seem to approach it that way most times. Fitzpatrick smashed it this afternoon, great stuff. A great performance all round.
  • And what a terrific finish - USA failed to win a match. 
    tFB Trader
    Is that the first time the USA have not won a match on day 1
  •  Bloody hell.  And that was just day 1.
  • Wow !! What a first day 

more of the same tomorrow please 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    What an amazing last couple of holes. Rahm is a monster!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Rocker said:
    You don’t actually ‘hit’ the ball with the club. Not as in hitting a nail with a hammer. You swing the club in an arc and the ball being in the path of the club head gets moved from where it was to somewhere else. A consistent golf swing will increase the probability of the ball ending up where the player wants it to end up. 
    This is a concept alien to a lot of people who play golf. 

Rocker said:
    You don’t actually ‘hit’ the ball with the club. Not as in hitting a nail with a hammer. You swing the club in an arc and the ball being in the path of the club head gets moved from where it was to somewhere else. A consistent golf swing will increase the probability of the ball ending up where the player wants it to end up. 
    This is a concept alien to a lot of people who play golf. 
    I'm going to use that one if ever someone gets in the path of my car as it travels down the road.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan. I don't like the excessive player love-in or the OTT chest beating. The 'fans' can be horribly disrespectful. I follow the result but I won't be watching. I prefer the Majors.
    tFB Trader
    Devastating confidence for the USA - Yesterday afternoon they had a strong chance to go 3-1 up - Leading on 3 matches approaching the 16/17th holes - Great fight back by the Europeans
  • 9&7 

ouch 
  • 1st point of the day to Europe after just 11 holes... bonkers
    edited September 2023
    Zach Johnson says its because his team is sick. Even the caddies.
    Also the prize pot isn't big enough. 
    tFB Trader
    I was in Croatia only a week ago - Met a few American's who where visiting various Mediterranean countries/cities before going to Rome - My daughter is working at the Ryder Cup this week and said a similar story to many Americans she has met - Yet the USA players look like it doesn't matter - Does it mean more to many European Players, some of whom are not big name 'champions' compared to the big money bucks and titles attached to most of the USA players - As it stands they are letting down the many supporters who have spent serious money on a life time trip