Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The greatest sporting fixture this weekend is taking part in Rome - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The greatest sporting fixture this weekend is taking part in Rome

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
edited September 2023 in Off Topic tFB Trader
So who is going to be watching the Ryder Cup this weekend - Some of the world's finest players, competing as a team, for no wage or prize money 

I'm going to be working on Sunday at the Leeds Guitar Show so will have to make do with a hi-lights show and hopefully not know the outcome before hand - But will try and watch most of Fri + Sat play

My daughter is actually working at The Ryder Cup this weekend - Part of her Uni course in sports and business management - But she is getting paid for it, inc all exepnses, as it was not actually part of her course - But the lecturer/Uni gathers various data for business management from such events, for various sporting authorities, so she is assisting with this
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    I'll be watching it, esp because the US won the last one. But something tells me it won't be as exciting as the Solheim Cup that just ended on Sunday though. Leona Maguire has got more fight in her than any of the men in both Ryder Cup teams =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    edited September 2023
    She is a fine golfer and competitor but what a tosh comment 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The greatest sporting fixture is the Downhill Cheese-Chasing Competition. But sure, if you think that hitting a ball with a stick is superior to that, that's your prerogative.

On a serious note (I was being serious), what an amazing opportunity for your daughter. Congratulations!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Booked Friday off work to watch it

love it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112 said:
    She is a fine holder and competitor but what a tosh comment 
    Relax. Unless you were selected to play in the Ryder Cup this weekend there's no need to feel threatened by a harmless comment  ;)
    No I wasn’t selected, I was expecting the call, but didn’t even get that. Poor showing from Luke I feel.  ;)
  • Glued to the TV as I was last week with the Solheim..  

I'll be in the clubhouse after my round tomorrow listening to the old boys no doubt going on about how it won't be the same without Poulter.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited September 2023
    Loud applause is considered an electric atmosphere at a golf tournament... :)  I'd say 90% of Italy won't even know it's on, like the 6 nations!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    ^^ Yeah, but I bet the Italians organise the golf a fuck sight better than the French have 'organised' the rugby.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    edited September 2023
    I'll be watching - I love playing golf and some competitions are really good to watch as well.

"Hitting ball with a stick" comment... <facepalm>
  • Yep, looking forward to catching as much of it as possible. If people think it's crap because it's golf, they're missing several points. Not that they'll care. Because it uses the Matchplay format, it makes for an awesome spectacle, where the spectator gets immersed in the tactics and tension, the ebb and flow of which team seemingly has control, and the speed at which that can all change. The players are there for the atmosphere, the history, the team etc. It's usually a very sporting event between the players, apart from the occasional moment when the tension gets too much.

I'm working on Friday, but I'll be at home with the TV on in the background.
  • Offset said:
    ^^ Yeah, but I bet the Italians organise the golf a fuck sight better than the French have 'organised' the rugby.
    Those pesky French eh!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802

Indeed. If I'm not mistaken this is Big Golf, and therefore they'll have a bag full of sticks, not just one. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Sporky said:

Indeed. If I'm not mistaken this is Big Golf, and therefore they'll have a bag full of sticks, not just one. 
    Will they have a ball bag as well?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    You don’t actually ‘hit’ the ball with the club. Not as in hitting a nail with a hammer. You swing the club in an arc and the ball being in the path of the club head gets moved from where it was to somewhere else. A consistent golf swing will increase the probability of the ball ending up where the player wants it to end up. 
    This is a concept alien to a lot of people who play golf. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I get why this is a great sporting event, but also always been slightly wary of the flag waving jingoism, especially when it's held in the States.

Also, surely they've moved on from the deeply anachronistic player's wifes/partners in matching outfits days? This may already have happened years ago?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • The only worthwhile sport involving hitting a thing with a stick is ice hockey.

But I can imagine the excitement of skating at 25mph while doing it and avoiding or causing collisions would be unnerving to golf fans, possibly to the detriment of their pacemakers.
    The only worthwhile sport involving hitting a thing with a stick is ice hockey.
    So says the man who's never played competitive melonbat. 
  • Sporky said:
    The only worthwhile sport involving hitting a thing with a stick is ice hockey.
    So says the man who's never played competitive melonbat. 
    The website is available....
  • The only worthwhile sport involving hitting a thing with a stick is ice hockey.

But I can imagine the excitement of skating at 25mph while doing it and avoiding or causing collisions would be unnerving to golf fans, possibly to the detriment of their pacemakers.
    Check out the Irish game of hurling!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Rocker said:
    You don’t actually ‘hit’ the ball with the club. Not as in hitting a nail with a hammer. You swing the club in an arc and the ball being in the path of the club head gets moved from where it was to somewhere else. A consistent golf swing will increase the probability of the ball ending up where the player wants it to end up. 
    This is a concept alien to a lot of people who play golf. 
    I think it’s exactly the same as hitting a nail with a hammer, wrist cock and timing, and if it’s a sledge hammer then a hip turn too 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Check out the Irish game of hurling!
    I am aware of it. It does not change my view.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Just watching Sky Sports News. Can't believe that not a single golfer thought "hey, I'll just pop out for a few hours without a cap so that my forehead tan can catch up". Not a man has done it.

Can't wait for tomorrow. 
  • The opening ceremony is pretty cringey. USA team fitting every awful stereotype I can think of. None of that stuff works, let's just get on with the matches.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    S56035 said:
    Just watching Sky Sports News. Can't believe that not a single golfer thought "hey, I'll just pop out for a few hours without a cap so that my forehead tan can catch up". Not a man has done it.

Can't wait for tomorrow. 
    Even a liberal splash of fake tan to even it out would help….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035 said:

Can't wait for tomorrow. 
    They probably did but their foreheads just really can't catch up =) 
  • Be interesting to see how Hothead Hattan reacts to bad shots being paired with Rahm.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Dream start by Fleetwood Mc
  • Dream start by Europe overall! 
    Dream start by Fleetwood Mc
    Is that on Rumours? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter