Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Show me ES-335 / 345 / 355s with Bigsbys - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Show me ES-335 / 345 / 355s with Bigsbys

What's Hot

Comments

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 291
    edited September 2023
    sweepy said:
    There are neater alternatives to a Bigsby on a 335 

https://i.imgur.com/6F8eksc.jpg

Works a treat and zero modifications 
    I've never had nylon saddles...how do they stand up to whammy action under the wound strings?
     obviously the Bigsby is a lot more subtle than a modern trem, but I have no issues with the nylon saddles other than when a string breaks and the saddle makes a break for freedom.
       I broke a string at rehearsal a few weeks back and stuck the 335 straight back in the case, forgetting about the saddle. Next day went to change the strings and noticed the saddle missing. No need to tell you what an early ‘60’s Gibson nylon saddle/bridge is worth…if you can find one.
       Phoned the rehearsal room and they got back to me an hour later…found it!

gotta change that bridge at some stage and keep the original tucked away me thinks.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    impmann said:
    I'm no fan of the Bigsby and wear cargo shorts. Is there a correlation?

However, I make an exception for *one* guitar owned by one person. This guitar and this person:

I remember hearing it for the first time in a small club in London plugged into a Vox AC30 back in the early 90s before Suede were particularly well known... magic.

It wouldn’t have been that guitar, the 355 was picked up in LA while touring the first album after his 345(I think?) was stolen in Toronto
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I've just turned 39 so naturally my attention has immediately focused on the next birthday and the only way to console myself is in knowing that I can definitely justify one proper guitar purchase, and our next trip to Japan (hopefully spring next year) may bring me some really decent opportunities for gear perusal...
    I did the exact same thing last year, in anticipation of being 40 right now I put an order in for a 355 with factory Bigsby instead of the stoptail that’s standard now, because of Bernard Butler. Little did I know that Peach would get 3 or 4 of the same guitar in stock between then and now, and I’m still bloody waiting for mine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    elstoof said:
    impmann said:
    I'm no fan of the Bigsby and wear cargo shorts. Is there a correlation?

However, I make an exception for *one* guitar owned by one person. This guitar and this person:

I remember hearing it for the first time in a small club in London plugged into a Vox AC30 back in the early 90s before Suede were particularly well known... magic.

It wouldn’t have been that guitar, the 355 was picked up in LA while touring the first album after his 345(I think?) was stolen in Toronto
    Good point, well made. :) It would have been the one that got nicked at that first gig.

Seen it/him a few times since he got it ('94, IIRC). 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

I’m a massive unrepentant fanboy of his so apologies for the pedantry!
  • I've never had nylon saddles...how do they stand up to whammy action under the wound strings?
     obviously the Bigsby is a lot more subtle than a modern term, but I have no issues with the nylon saddles other than when a string breaks and the saddle makes a break for freedom.
    I was thinking of the string sawing itself deeper into the saddle over time.
  • Oh god yes. I've played a bunch of Collingses but never one of these. They're just so much money though...! 
     @stickyfiddle ;Yep...but it was my 50th (last year) and I traded the 'keeper' that I bought for my 40th!

I know you see how this works ;)
  • Oh god yes. I've played a bunch of Collingses but never one of these. They're just so much money though...! 
     @stickyfiddle ;Yep...but it was my 50th (last year) and I traded the 'keeper' that I bought for my 40th!

Haha! Nicely done.

The big question is.. are you happy with that decision? :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

Haha! Nicely done.

The big question is.. are you happy with that decision? :D 
    Oh yes...it hasn't been back in its case since I got it home!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Excellent! 
  • 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Can’t. Haven’t got one. 
    #SADFACE  
    These 7-string tuning systems get stranger and stranger...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've never had nylon saddles...how do they stand up to whammy action under the wound strings?
     obviously the Bigsby is a lot more subtle than a modern term, but I have no issues with the nylon saddles other than when a string breaks and the saddle makes a break for freedom.
    I was thinking of the string sawing itself deeper into the saddle over time.
    Well I guess inevitably it will, but how quick, I couldn't say. I've had mine about three years and play it on average maybe about 10 hours a week, plus it takes a beating at weekly rehearsals and the odd gig and haven't noticed any difference in wear.
  • You know he lost in the end, right? Died twice in one film! 

#bigsbyforever
  • Mine has a Towner /  B6 arrangement too.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    1962, best guitar I've ever owned/played...could do with a damn good clean.

Weyy Selmer club. Cool amps
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Don't know what I was thinking when I sold this lol

I just got a black Heritage H-535 which is a candidate for a B7 abomination, and is a nicer guitar than my Gibbo was. I wonder if you can get those anchor studs anywhere
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Kylef said:

And my ES-345  from 1972 in Walnut:

That is nicest 3x5 ive ever seen. Birth year for me. First dibs pls if ever selling. Congrats.  Dont usually like the non reds, but that is completely stunning.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    Wows duly awarded. These are all awesome :) 

TDubs said:

How is that Bisgbsy attached? Looks like no screws in the top? 

Standard spec, this has a maestro vibrola.

There are various screw holes under the vibrola. I used some existing screw holes to mount magnetic pieces and then stuck some magnetic pieces to the underside of the bigsby so it’s held in place by the magnet
    force, a Vibramate tailpiece adapter and string force. 

Works pretty well but have a better idea for to little lugs to be added to the bigsby and then it will screw on to the body using two other existing holes. Bigsby is with a local fabricator being modified but it’s taking forever!

All this for a no extra holes mod!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TDubs said:

TDubs said:

There are various screw holes under the vibrola. I used some existing screw holes to mount magnetic pieces and then stuck some magnetic pieces to the underside of the bigsby so it’s held in place by the magnet

Works pretty well but have a better idea for to little lugs to be added to the bigsby and then it will screw on to the body using two other existing holes. Bigsby is with a local fabricator being modified but it’s taking forever!

Nice - that's a neat solution. I don't get the Maestro thing on a guitar where a B7 will fit. It's a worse vibrato and looks awful on 355s, but Gibson seem to be very keen on it in recent years. Better kept on Firebirds and SGs
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    TDubs said:

TDubs said:

Nice - that's a neat solution. I don't get the Maestro thing on a guitar where a B7 will fit. It's a worse vibrato and looks awful on 355s, but Gibson seem to be very keen on it in recent years. Better kept on Firebirds and SGs
    Hmmm… it’s not a ‘worse’ trem it’s a different one. Personally speaking I prefer them - when they are set correctly, they work very well (refer Alex Lifeson’s white 355).
    Each to their own I say. :)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    TDubs said:

TDubs said:

Hmmm… it’s not a ‘worse’ trem it’s a different one. Personally speaking I prefer them - when they are set correctly, they work very well (refer Alex Lifeson’s white 355).
    Each to their own I say. :)
    I've bolded the important bit. They have no ability for adjustment without taking them off and physically bending the spring, and they're often made wrong - that's why they're shite.

They can be great when you get a good one, but it's not reliable. I played 3 different brand new CS SGs back in June and only 1 had a Maestro could you actually use properly. I was really disappointed
  • roberty said:
    1962, best guitar I've ever owned/played...could do with a damn good clean.

Weyy Selmer club. Cool amps
    Yeah, they’re nice amps, I’ve seen a few 50w ones about, but this is the only 100w one I’ve seen.

• 0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AMCDON27 said:

Nice. Noel Gallagher sig on the right?

• Ok, not a Gibson but it was assembled in the Gibson factory… 

I added a vintage 60s Bigsby to it. Unfortunately I no longer have it, but on reflection I’d say it’s the possibly best guitar I’ve ever had, definitely up there with Gibson and Fender CS guitars I’ve had.
  • AMCDON27 said:

Nice. Noel Gallagher sig on the right?
    Thank you. Yes.....NG 355 on the right and the one on the left is a 2009 from Memphis.

• Ok, not a Gibson but it was assembled in the Gibson factory… 

I added a vintage 60s Bigsby to it. Unfortunately I no longer have it, but on reflection I’d say it’s the possibly best guitar I’ve ever had, definitely up there with Gibson and Fender CS guitars I’ve had.
    Is this the 64' reissue? Had always been on the lookout for one of these but no joy so far.
    I do have the Elite version in the same finish which is lovely, but these were of even higher quality.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter