Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pele v Messi and Ronaldo - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pele v Messi and Ronaldo

What's Hot

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    100% with @TeleMaster.

But I like Ronaldo more than Messi, and Ronaldinho is the greatest footballer ever.  Just pure talent, nevermind goals/game.

(I have a thing for offensive midfielders and for that reason can never forgive the Premier League for wasting the talents of Gio Dos Santos.)

Stats alone are not persuasive.  As an American, I’ve had to put up with sports pundits proclaiming the virtues of Landon fucking Donovan, who scored a ton of goals (any in Europe?) but couldn’t create his own shot if his life depended on it even against shit American competition.  (American soccer is so boring and lifeless.) 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Surely Jordan Henderson is the greatest, can hold down a central midfield role for England despite not playing any league games and will earn £60,000,000 for 3 years of playing in the desert league.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm surprised no-one has played the 'team game' card astonished 

An individual, sublimely talented or not, is only one of eleven (oops ... Seven of Nine just popped into my head lol ) so the ability to shape, drive, manage, nurture, lead other talents around them is hugely significant - especially when comparing successes at global level.

IMHO Pele sparkled in the era of the greatest team so that's something I guess. Maradona got booted off the park in 1978 as a young'n but had the skill, resilience, resolve and flair to prevail through adversity (pre-cheat, drug-fuelled era). Ronaldo is so far up his own arse his ego is boss and I immediately ban him from the discussion. Messi is a team player through and through ... Watch the docus about him, it's all there to see.

So, I think there are a few elements to the term 'greatest player':

-  most skilled
    -  best footballing brain
    -  best team player
    -  favourite player

There are probably more but based on the above, for me Pele's the man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cranky said:
    100% with @TeleMaster.

But I like Ronaldo more than Messi, and Ronaldinho is the greatest soccer player ever.  Just pure talent, nevermind goals/game.

(I have a thing for offensive midfielders and for that reason can never forgive the Premier League for wasting the talents of Gio Dos Santos.)

Stats alone are not persuasive.  As an American, I’ve had to put up with sports pundits proclaiming the virtues of Landon fucking Donovan, who scored a ton of goals (any in Europe?) but couldn’t create his own shot if his life depended on it even against shit American competition.  (American soccer is so boring and lifeless.) 

I'd also rather have Ronaldo in my team because of the style of play I prefer to watch. Messi is the better player but if I were a manager I'd rather have a fast attacking team, that dispossesses the opposition with a high press, and overloading the flanks and goes for goal, be it by counter attack or playing out from the back and I think Ronaldo is suited better to that style of play, although I'm sure he would be lazy in the press. I also grew up watching him play at Man Utd on the TV, I've even seen him play in the flesh now so I have more of a connection to him over Messi. He does come across terribly self obsessed and the allegations that surround him are very problematic.

I agree that Ronaldinho is up there, his 2005/06 season was just phenomenal. Sometimes I just have these Barca games on while I'm cooking and doing the dishes and you can't believe what he could do with the ball. The modern game is just something else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    No one is debating his greatness. But his greatness was of the time. You're not being objective here because you seem to be aggressively fanboying over Pele. You also don't seem to respect the advancements of the game and the science around football, the tactics. You only need to watch a Premier league game to see the wildly different level of skill, technique and demand of today's game. And while the defending in that clip was woeful and it completely proves the point people are making in this thread, you are free to disagree and ignore that. Whatever you want, it's cool. Night night. 
    Nobody in the today's Premier league has better control than Pele did.  I see very few, if any players with that level of control.  The way he controlled the ball in that video I showed was astounding.  Find some video of him dribbling, and how close he kept the ball under control.  It's on completely different level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pele was in Escape To Victory too, we seem to have forgotten that!
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Cranky said:
    100% with @TeleMaster.

But I like Ronaldo more than Messi, and Ronaldinho is the greatest soccer player ever.  Just pure talent, nevermind goals/game.

GTFO!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Charles Charlie Charles was clearly the GOAT,

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Cranky said:

.... Ronaldinho is the greatest soccer player ever.  Just pure talent, nevermind goals/game.

Incredible talent, but the wrong attitude. Too much of a party boy. If only he'd have been more like Cristiano for dedication.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    edited September 2023
    This is like picking a team when you were kids and you were the captain. It's your ball and you get to pick first. All players are in their prime. Line all the players up, who's your first pick? 

Cruyff
    Beckenbauer
    Pele
    Ronaldo (Brazil)
    Messi
    Best
    Di Stefano
    Puskas
    C.Ronaldo
    Rumenigge
    Moore
    Jairzinho
    Gullit
    Banks
    Socrates
    Maradona
    Roberto Carlos
    Figo
    Zoff
    Yashin
    Ronaldinho
    Maldini
    Zidane
    Buffon
    Gerd Muller
    Carlos Alberto
    Eusebio
    Zico
    Vogts
    Van Basten
  • Shrews said:
    This is like picking a team when you were kids and you were the captain. It's your ball and you get to pick first. All players are in their prime. Line all the players up, who's your first pick? 

Cruyff
    Beckenbauer
    Pele
    Ronaldo (Brazil)
    Messi
    Best
    Di Stefano
    Puskas
    C.Ronaldo
    Rumenigge
    Moore
    Jairzinho
    Gullit
    Banks
    Socrates
    Maradona
    Roberto Carlos
    Figo
    Zoff
    Yashin
    Ronaldinho
    Maldini
    Zidane
    Buffon
    Gerd Muller
    Carlos Alberto
    Eusebio
    Zico
    Vogts
    Van Basten
    Hoddle
  • Shrews said:

Cruyff
    Beckenbauer
    Pele
    Ronaldo (Brazil)
    Messi
    Best
    Di Stefano
    Puskas
    C.Ronaldo
    Rumenigge
    Moore
    Jairzinho
    Gullit
    Banks
    Socrates
    Maradona
    Roberto Carlos
    Figo
    Zoff
    Yashin
    Ronaldinho
    Maldini
    Zidane
    Buffon
    Gerd Muller
    Carlos Alberto
    Eusebio
    Zico
    Vogts
    Van Basten
    Hoddle
    Keegan. Won two Balon D'Ors.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961

Hoddle
    But he played 40 years ago.  Harry Maguire must be a much better player because of modern sports science.   :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    crunchman said:

Hoddle
    But he played 40 years ago.  Harry Maguire must be a much better player because of modern sports science.  
    Well this is more a comment on how bad he is despite all the advancements in the game... lol 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gassage said:
    Maradona 
    Cheats eliminated from scope.
    100% agree - Yes he was a talented footballer - But a) a cheat and everyone saw it and b) a dope head who mixed socially with the mafia in Italy

And Peter Shilton should have saved it all day long. Peter Shilton, the prick, still banging on about it.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    I'm not old enough to have watched Pele, or Maradona in his peak, but Leo Messi is the best footballer I've ever had the priviledge of watching, and I'm Spurs fan so that's saying something. 

The original Ronaldo was something special as well, he was absolutely unstoppable until his knee exploded. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 99
    100% agree - Yes he was a talented footballer - But a) a cheat and everyone saw it and b) a dope head who mixed socially with the mafia in Italy
    And Peter Shilton should have saved it all day long. Peter Shilton, the prick, still banging on about it.
    It’s incredible that people still have a hang up about Maradona’s handball nearly 40 years ago. It happens in every game, players get called out for deliberate handball. So what? If you wrote each one off for cheating you wouldn’t have any left. Maradona was clearly a genius, the best player of his generation and possibly any generation. From a difficult background and catapulted into superstardom - a bit of a tragic story. But clearly a footballing genius.

I spent a day with Peter Shelton a few years ago at a charity football thing. It was hilarious that he couldn’t stop talking about it either.  What a knob!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    mo6020 said:
    I'm not old enough to have watched Pele, or Maradona in his peak, but Leo Messi is the best footballer I've ever had the priviledge of watching, and I'm Spurs fan so that's saying something. 

The original Ronaldo was something special as well, he was absolutely unstoppable until his knee exploded. 
    Finally getting to see some quality must have been a treat.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    S56035 said:
    Cranky said:
    100% with @TeleMaster.

GTFO!
    Lol.  I figured if I called it “American football” people might be confused.  Mai should have just said futbol.

The top one was a genuine error, I forgot where my server was for a moment.  Fixed!

I agree that Ronaldinho is up there, his 2005/06 season was just phenomenal. Sometimes I just have these Barca games on while I'm cooking and doing the dishes and you can't believe what he could do with the ball. The modern game is just something else.
    Tears to my eyes, bro, not even exaggerating.  To watch him play and smile at the same time.  Jogo bonito in action.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Cranky said:
    S56035 said:
    Cranky said:
    100% with @TeleMaster.

GTFO!
    Lol.  I figured if I called it “American football” people might be confused.  Mai should have just said futbol.
    Why is American Football called football? I enjoy the game so not being sarcastic. I once read it was because the ball was a foot long? Jags fan by the way.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I also forgot, but had to google it to confirm it, but Maradona was also banned in Spain for 3 months for fighting on the pitch
    S56035 said:
    Cranky said:
    S56035 said:
    Cranky said:
    100% with @TeleMaster.

GTFO!
    Why is American Football called football? I enjoy the game so not being sarcastic. I once read it was because the ball was a foot long? Jags fan by the way.
    I think it’s because they run on their feet while holding a ball.  
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited September 2023
    I also forgot, but had to google it to confirm it, but Maradona was also banned in Spain for 3 months for fighting on the pitch
    Thing is, I just can’t help loving Maradona, even with all his faults…. he was a warrior, from the streets, who fought his way to the top with unbelievable battling spirit, charisma, leadership and skills, taking an average club and national side to the pinnacle. At a time when defenders could hack you to pieces and pitches were terrible. He had faults and issues but he was a human that made bad choices, for me that’s more relatable than the perfectly behaved athlete but rather boring person. The brilliant ‘Diego’ film encapsulates all this stuff. 

As for the England match, perhaps have a go at the terrible kick by Fenwick that led to that goal….. and acknowledge a series of disgraceful dirty tackles on Diego by the English players in that match. Here's a brilliant quote about it from this article that will give insights into different perspectives : The typical U.S., British moralistic view said that was cheating, but across Latin America, Africa, and the Third World, they view it as a form of humiliating a former colonial power and the ultimate expression of cunning or shrewdness, which is central to a ludic conception of the game (and of life) that stands outside of the realm of morality.

For me, he’s the greatest footballer of all time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Shrews said:

Cruyff
    Beckenbauer
    Pele
    Ronaldo (Brazil)
    Messi
    Best
    Di Stefano
    Puskas
    C.Ronaldo
    Rumenigge
    Moore
    Jairzinho
    Gullit
    Banks
    Socrates
    Maradona
    Roberto Carlos
    Figo
    Zoff
    Yashin
    Ronaldinho
    Maldini
    Zidane
    Buffon
    Gerd Muller
    Carlos Alberto
    Eusebio
    Zico
    Vogts
    Van Basten
    To be honest, looking at my own list, I think I'd choose a player first who can run the game from the middle. Any of the strikers, keepers or defenders will be good enough, but there's not many who could control the game from the middle. So I think Zidane would be first on my list. 

Now, does that mean I think he's the best? 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    That list should include Jimmy Greaves.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    I came here to say Jimmy Greaves as well. He was the greatest goal scorer of them all, although Brian Clough runs him close.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    mo6020 said:

Finally getting to see some quality must have been a treat.

I’ll set ‘em up, you knock ‘em down :lol: 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Messi is the GOAT imho. Appearances, trophies won by team etc is irrelevant. So is whether they were coked up, got caught punching a budgie etc. All about skill, style, passion and entertainment.

Pele footage is not as mesmerising as messi on the ball, nor is c.ronaldos.

My top 3 GOATs would be
    1) Messi
    2) Maradona
    3) Ronaldinho

Greaves, Rooney, Gascoigne i think for top 3 UK goats. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • Peter Withe