Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). That Johnny Marr Show.. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

That Johnny Marr Show..

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• swillerswiller Frets: 662
    He was just on ITV news at 10
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve got a ticket to see him at Manchester with an orchestra….woohoo.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • These Premier League guests can only be a good thing. Marr is the coolest so far imo - although the Graham Coxon episode was great.
    Like Beato's long-form interviews, they've really hooked into a great niche with these. Coxon was the first big one, and Ed Obrien around the same time I think? 

But play the cards right and it'll become widely known they're good blokes and a much better way to spend an afternoon's promo than just talking to random newspaper folks. I hope they can get Jason Isbell in - I'd love to see that. 
    Beato's long form are a bit mixed for me,some great,some not so. As somebody who is much less of a muso than most I haven't heard of a few of his guests and he tends to get a bit sychophantic with so and it makes me cringe a bit and I have to turn it off. His latest video(not an interview) is where he reforms his band and they were pretty damn good. Very 90s sounding but very listenable and as good or better than a good few who make a career from it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 202
    edited September 2023
    These Premier League guests can only be a good thing. Marr is the coolest so far imo - although the Graham Coxon episode was great.

The Ed O'Brien one was also good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BRILLIANT !

Johnny Fuckin Marr.

Excellent middle name. I had no idea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    Awesome . . . I cant wait to see that one ! !  . . . Johnny Marr's book " Set the Boy Free" was a great read . . . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    I suspect this episode will be held back to coincide with the release date of his book on October 17th. Two weeks to wait...
  • Imagine Mr Marr only showed up with his old Boss GT100. On that note, anyone know how he is using the 2 external footswitches here?

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Got excited by the notification then lol

The book was down to £32 on Amazon a week or so ago but it's back to £40 now. I didn't preorder at £32 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023

Imagine Mr Marr only showed up with his old Boss GT100. On that note, anyone know how he is using the 2 external footswitches here?

He didn’t show up.
    Mick & Dan went to Johnnys studio for the interview.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Crikey. Four pages and the episode hasn't even aired yet!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    edited October 2023
    As much as I like Johnny Marr’s classic guitar parts, he’s been very open and articulate about how he created them over the years, so a TPS episode with him talking gear and technique isn’t anything like the scoop it was with Noel Gallagher.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    It'll never happen again....can't see any of todays sidesmen songwriter/guitarsts making a 40 yr career out of a couple of good albums. At the time he was largely anonymous over shadowed by the bloke with daffs in his back pocket. All credit to him for surviving the nonsense of the 80's music business and still being relevant to many today. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    Strat54 said:
    It'll never happen again....can't see any of todays sidesmen songwriter/guitarsts making a 40 yr career out of a couple of good albums. At the time he was largely anonymous over shadowed by the bloke with daffs in his back pocket. All credit to him for surviving the nonsense of the 80's music business and still being relevant to many today. 
    It was Gladioli not Daffodils.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    sometimes it was Daffodils...

Morrissey Dancing - YouTube

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    edited October 2023
    Imagine Mr Marr only showed up with his old Boss GT100. On that note, anyone know how he is using the 2 external footswitches here?

It was to change presets. He talked about it on camera when promoting the GT-100 for Boss in a longer version of that video.  When you're singing and playing it can be hard to reliably pick the button on the floor you want to hit. Having two big buttons that are easy to spot simplifies things. Left=verse, right=chorus sort of thing. I do this now, and it's really useful. 

FWIW, I also make switches activate on release if I can, so I can find the switch early and hold it down until I'm ready, rather than try and find it quickly at exactly the right time.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    guyinlyon said:
    BRILLIANT !

Johnny Fuckin Marr.

Tis true…

• Imagine Mr Marr only showed up with his old Boss GT100. On that note, anyone know how he is using the 2 external footswitches here?

It was to change presets. He talked about it on camera when promoting the GT-100 for Boss in a longer version of that video.  When you're singing and playing it can be hard to reliably pick the button on the floor you want to hit. Having two big buttons that are easy to spot simplifies things. Left=verse, right=chorus sort of thing. I do this now, and it's really useful. 

FWIW, I also make switches activate on release if I can, so I can find the switch early and hold it down until I'm ready, rather than try and find it quickly at exactly the right time.
    Must check it out. I know they are old but I am interested in the GT100 down the line !
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    guyinlyon said:
    BRILLIANT !

Johnny Fuckin Marr.

Tis true…

Where can you buy one of these t-shirts?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    His podcast recently on Broken Record was fantastic. Worth checking out. Very clever guy.
  • Tis true…

https://jfmworkwear.co.uk/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    guyinlyon said:
    BRILLIANT !

Johnny Fuckin Marr.

Tis true…

Initially, they were sold at the gigs, but now are available in lots of places online.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Kids sizes say "Johnny Flippin Marr" (no joke).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I am not one for so called 'celebrity' guests but the musicians ones are pretty damn good. The Noel Gallagher one was good even though I am not necessarily a fan,and Rick Beato interviewing Sting,Dominic Miller and Jimmy Webb in particular. Fascinating stuff. Musicians appear to be much less 'up their own arses' than most.
  • Musicians appear to be much less 'up their own arses' than most.
    You should repost this on the thread about controversial guitar-related opinions you have
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I am not one for so called 'celebrity' guests but the musicians ones are pretty damn good. The Noel Gallagher one was good even though I am not necessarily a fan,and Rick Beato interviewing Sting,Dominic Miller and Jimmy Webb in particular. Fascinating stuff. Musicians appear to be much less 'up their own arses' than most.
    In an unrelated statement, Ireland's largest landowner, Bono, would like you to contribute £20 to charity please.

He'd help himself, but he is down to his last 700 million.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Musicians appear to be much less 'up their own arses' than most.
    You should repost this on the thread about controversial guitar-related opinions you have
    I forgot to put the prefix of 'some.'
  • I am not one for so called 'celebrity' guests but the musicians ones are pretty damn good. The Noel Gallagher one was good even though I am not necessarily a fan,and Rick Beato interviewing Sting,Dominic Miller and Jimmy Webb in particular. Fascinating stuff. Musicians appear to be much less 'up their own arses' than most.
    In an unrelated statement, Ireland's largest landowner, Bono, would like you to contribute £20 to charity please.

Much as I recognise how pretentious and preachy Bono can be, he’s put the work in to try and make a change - meeting up with a variety of divisive figures and asking awkward questions that the people who SHOULD be doing it don’t ask. His book was quite a revelation.

He’s a ridiculously rich and pretentious get, but he walks it like he talks it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I am not one for so called 'celebrity' guests but the musicians ones are pretty damn good. The Noel Gallagher one was good even though I am not necessarily a fan,and Rick Beato interviewing Sting,Dominic Miller and Jimmy Webb in particular. Fascinating stuff. Musicians appear to be much less 'up their own arses' than most.

Much as I recognise how pretentious and preachy Bono can be, he’s put the work in to try and make a change - meeting up with a variety of divisive figures and asking awkward questions that the people who SHOULD be doing it don’t ask. His book was quite a revelation.

He’s a ridiculously rich and pretentious get, but he walks it like he talks it. 
    This is my take. There's no doubt he's annoying at times, but he's trying a hell of a lot harder than most, and doesn't make out like he's infallible with answers to everything 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires