Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). That Johnny Marr Show.. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

That Johnny Marr Show..

What's Hot

Comments

• A friend went to see Johnnys Holmfirth gig back in July and mentioned to him after the gig about going on TPS and doing a interview like Noel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I love Johnny Marr,  I will definitely watch this. I think he's a great player but also has a real skill for choosing the right sounds for the song. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Oh man. I thought the Noel one was amazing and honestly wouldn’t be bettered (by me personally). Johnny is a such an interesting and thoughtful storyteller that I know I’m just gonna love it. Expect his Fender amp love and variety of beautiful guitars to be on full show. Ricks, Teles, Gibsons, yadda yadda and maybe some effects. Excited.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    He was using the Boss GT100 before right? 
    I honestly don't know but given our new guitar player has one and is worried it's not good enough that's good to hear if true! 

EDIT: This Boss interview suggests yes! 
    https://www.boss.info/us/community/boss_users_group/1815/

He used to tour with a GT-100 into a Deluxe Reverb.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    edited September 2023
    soma1975 said:
    I can't believe how short he is. I always thought Dan was about hobbit-sized. 
    He is small yes, but also, Mick is pretty big. I met him not so long ago and was struck by how imposing he is in person. 

• JD50JD50 Frets: 638
    Looking forward to the episode although I do wonder  if there is anything to know he has not already said, there are tons of guitar related interviews with him.

I wouldn't mind an episode with the guitar player from Ozric Tentacles.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He was using the Boss GT100 before right? 
    I honestly don't know but given our new guitar player has one and is worried it's not good enough that's good to hear if true! 

EDIT: This Boss interview suggests yes! 
    https://www.boss.info/us/community/boss_users_group/1815/

He used to tour with a GT-100 into a Deluxe Reverb.
    He uses a GT-1000 CORE now from what I’ve seen. Richard Henry had a couple of his GT-100s for sale a few months back, with all his patches on.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Looking forward to it. Hope its as long as noels one. Its brave cos he has a book coming out showcasing his guitars so might tick the same box. Or publicise the book and more buy it.
    My fav guitarist of all time. Hope this gives him the credibility he truly deserves in the guitar world.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think it'll push a lot of fence sitters to buy the book. Yes I mean me... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    JD50 said:
    Looking forward to the episode although I do wonder  if there is anything to know he has not already said, there are tons of guitar related interviews with him.

I wouldn't mind an episode with the guitar player from Ozric Tentacles.

Ed Ozric uses QUAD cortex now and he has a soft spot for Meris Polymoon n the studio. HIs old gear stash is interestng but he was on record saying that every knob is turned to max, "what's the point of having a control if you don't turn it up".

I'd love a Steve Hillage interview about effects, he invented a whole lot of time based delay stuff. Last time I saw him he was using  POD HD500.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Eagle eyed viewers will note a line of boss pedals (guessing DD2/3, GE-7, OD-2, DS-1, CE-2, CS-3 in very much not the order I'd put them!)

You just haven’t heard them yet, baby

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1013
    Didn’t think it would get better for me after having Noel on..until Johnny. Hope it’s not a long wait. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Can’t wait….. <3
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    The folks from Ride or Slowdive would be interesting to see on TPS. Adam Franklin too.
    Also, Alan Sparhawk, though Sparhawk doesn't strike me really as a "pedal guy", he does make some interesting sounds with the pedals he uses.
    I think Sparhawk is a pedals guy, more so in recent years. He's had a few old faithfuls but more variation in recent times in relation to the more experimental music.

However, I suspect he might not be in guitar playing mode when we next see him perform. I think solo Alan Sparhawk might go deeper in experimental side.

Adam Franklin and Jimmy Hartridge, like a lot of great bands, sound like like Swervedriver regardless of what pedals they have in front of them.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Finally, God is on TPS! I met him before his gig in Bath and he was the loveliest, most down-to-earth bloke. We chatted about his signature Jag and loads of other stuff, totally starstruck. I really want a JMJ again. His autobiography is great as well, unassuming and sound as you like, and talks a lot about Wizz Jones being an influence. I love this man, just love him.
  • Just as I’m trying to sell my cherry red Bonamassa, Maybebi should hang on to it, I definitely got it due to Noel and Johnny as I couldn’t afford the full Gibson 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• These Premier League guests can only be a good thing. Marr is the coolest so far imo - although the Graham Coxon episode was great.
    Coxon, Ed, Noel and now Johnny - who is left to do next ? Excited for this one. Marr is just a genius 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Coming soon apparently. As if I wasn't already dying for an ES-355 after the NG one...

Is Johnny Marr a munchkin?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    These Premier League guests can only be a good thing. Marr is the coolest so far imo - although the Graham Coxon episode was great.
    Coxon, Ed, Noel and now Johnny - who is left to do next ? Excited for this one. Marr is just a genius 
    I’d love to see Grant Nicholas, Kelly jones and John Squire.
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 84
    The Noel show was the first one I had ever watched. I now have a hankering for a 335 type guitar. I watched the Graham Coxon show loved it and instantly ordered a Rat. I then watched the build a fuzz pedal show and have now built two pedals from kits. No doubt when I watch Johnny I will be yearning for something. Watching this show is addictive and expensive. Love it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'll definitely be watching this. JM (obliquely) gave me the best advice ever regarding the switch from being the guitarist in a band to being the singer/guitarist. He was using the GT-100/Fender setup at the time, but also had an FS-6 footswitch plugged into the GT for Next patch/Previous patch duties.

And it works! If your face is at the mic, it's hard (and a distraction) to find the correct button to press for your next patch. But a couple of big buttons always in the same place are much more reliable to hit. Especially if you set it up so the change happens on release rather than press - you can get your foot on the button early and release it exactly at the right time. 
  • If it’s anywhere near as enjoyable entertaining as the Noel Gallagher interview a few months ago ? It will be a winner.
    A mate had a chat with Johnny after his Holmfirth gig in July.
    Said if you get the chance to do an interview with Mick & Dan from that Pedal show Like Noel did ? Please do?

It was filmed before the tour from memory, so he'll already of filmed it!
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    This is going to be so good.
  • Good shout earlier for the Nick McCabe suggestion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    These Premier League guests can only be a good thing. Marr is the coolest so far imo - although the Graham Coxon episode was great.

The Dave Gregory (XTC) ones are good too.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:

The Dave Gregory (XTC) ones are good too.
    and Finn/Crowded House
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1572
    edited September 2023
    Anyone know when this will be available to watch? Looking forward to it as I've always enjoyed hearing JM talk about gear. Just hope the fawning from MH and DH is not too appalling.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    the_jaffa said:
    Anyone know when this will be available to watch? Looking forward to it as I've always enjoyed hearing JM talk about gear. Just hope the fawning from MH and DH is not too appalling.
    It will take a few weeks I think
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    Who new Dan was so... 'tall'?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    (I've nothing to do with the Guardian btw)