Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). More conversations with my daughter - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

More conversations with my daughter

What's Hot
Both daughters were in a room together which is rare.. I says " is everybody happy? Is anyone being antagonised? " and the eldest says "hmmmm, I'm never really happy " so I says "how about when we high five.. kapow!" And she says "YEAH!"

Boom
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    One Pico second of happyness
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    My fav recent conversation with my 4 year old girl and 7 year old boy.

Girl: started singing Yellow Submarine she learnt at nursery, I start to sing along.
    Boy: do you know this song Dad?
    Me: yeah it’s by the Beatles.
    Girl: The Beatles???
    Boy: yes they’re a pop group from the olden days.
    Girl: are they still alive?
    Me: some of them are.
    Girl (looking really confused how): did someone step on them?

17reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    We’ve got two grandsons, 5 and 2. The 5 year old is currently obsessed with reptiles, the 2 year old loves airplanes. His favourite phrase for anything or one he doesn’t like is “you’re a bad guy!!” 

We had the following conversation a couple of weeks ago. 

5 : did you know that the Komodo dragon is the biggest reptile?

2 :  I like airplanes 

5 : yes but god made all the reptiles, he didn’t make airplanes. So reptiles are better. 

2 : (getting angry) No!!! My airplanes ARE reptiles!! 

5 : no they’re not! Reptiles are god’s creatures. 

2 : God is a bad guy!! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    @DesVegas ;
    I have daughters .......one that's never happy , I would watch that very cautiously .....don't be fooled that a Hi FIVE makes it all alright 
    girls ( certainly late teenage ones ) can have a worrying tendency to what used to be called Melancholia 
    I very nearly died in hospital on Tuesday .....I have felt a sense of euphoria since 11.30 am Tuesday when they confirmed my Aortic Aneurysm  was not leaking......it's a joy that feels like being re-born.
    They are young with a whole world before them ....they should be full of joy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • When daughters hit 14 they become nightmares.
    Mine actually apologised when she was 30.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    They are very deep , brooding and quite strange .......not girls and yet not women
    Hard work to understand and quite fragile
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited September 2023
    My 27 year old daughter has come home “for a bit” because Oxford rent and finding somewhere to live is off the scale ridiculous. I’m flipping loving it and I think she is too. She’d better be bloody gone by Christmas though lol 

nice little thread, cheers for sharing @desvegas ;
    I play at my dining room table.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Deadman said:
    She’d better be bloody gone by Christmas though lol 

Make sure you specify a year. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogieman said:
    We’ve got two grandsons, 5 and 2. The 5 year old is currently obsessed with reptiles, the 2 year old loves airplanes. His favourite phrase for anything or one he doesn’t like is “you’re a bad guy!!” 

We had the following conversation a couple of weeks ago. 

5 : did you know that the Komodo dragon is the biggest reptile?

2 :  I like airplanes 

5 : yes but god made all the reptiles, he didn’t make airplanes. So reptiles are better. 

2 : (getting angry) No!!! My airplanes ARE reptiles!! 

5 : no they’re not! Reptiles are god’s creatures. 

2 : God is a bad guy!! 

2 year old makes some valid points
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    When daughters hit 14 they become nightmares.
    Mine was 15 when she hit the nightmare patch. Unfortunately it lasted till she was about 22. 

She’s 28 now, has a daughter coming up for a year old and has actually turned out to be a nicely rounded human being. 
  • Yeah my step daughter has just rejoined the human race at 24. She left when she was 14.
  • Yeah my step daughter has just rejoined the human race at 24. She left when she was 14.
    This is pretty much my experience. She actually had a couple of years in the middle when she left home in a hail of bullets, moved to her grandmother's, and they both tried to convince my wife that I had a whole other family. She actually worked at the same company as me (a job that I got her), and said it was well-known that I only worked two days a week and the rest of the time I was in Nottingham with the other family.

I worked 100% from home. As did my wife.

Oh, the absolute corker - apparently I had Swiss bank accounts making me independently wealthy, but I'd only spend that money on the other family.

I mean...where the fuck did I find the time for all this? And where the hell has all my money gone?
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I have 2 daughters, 22 and 18, both still living with us and it’s a lot of fun. They have such a laugh together, and spend a lot of their time sitting either side of the dining room table in our open plan house. They never had the bad phase, it’s all been great right the way through. They fall about laughing at times, sing together, burst into that song from Frozen when they both say the same thing (often). Joyful times.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Yeah my step daughter has just rejoined the human race at 24. She left when she was 14.
    This is pretty much my experience. She actually had a couple of years in the middle when she left home in a hail of bullets, moved to her grandmother's, and they both tried to convince my wife that I had a whole other family. She actually worked at the same company as me (a job that I got her), and said it was well-known that I only worked two days a week and the rest of the time I was in Nottingham with the other family.

Oh, the absolute corker - apparently I had Swiss bank accounts making me independently wealthy, but I'd only spend that money on the other family.

I mean...where the fuck did I find the time for all this? And where the hell has all my money gone?
    Errrm... do you still talk to her grandmother?!
  • My daughter makes the best Sunday Roast & Christmas Roast dinner.
    lovely gravy.
    I miss not having that so often.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    Offset said:
    Yeah my step daughter has just rejoined the human race at 24. She left when she was 14.

Don't take this the wrong way, but...thankfully, she's dead.

Honestly, she was the nastiest, most hateful evil person I've ever encountered in person. She's the one who fed all that crap to our daughter over a period of years to set it all up. She spent 20 years trying to split us up, and 45 years ruining my wife's life.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg (probably not a story for this thread).
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    When daughters hit 14 they become nightmares.
    Yep, we called ours Moody Margaret….. B)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    edited September 2023
    Mines currently 7. 
    Today during the BBQ she asked a question I wasn’t prepared for 

“Dad, were did the first people come from”
    ”eh, you what?”
    ”well if all babies become adults and only adults can have babies, then where did the first babies come from?”

”er, here do you want some chicken?”

two beers in and not prepared. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    @grungebob you’ve got a bright one there. Congratulations!

But no useful advice to give from me. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    grungebob said:
    Mines currently 7. 
    Today during the BBQ she asked a question I wasn’t prepared for 

“Dad, were did the first people come from”
    ”eh, you what?”
    ”well if all babies become adults and only adults can have babies, then where did the first babies come from?”

”er, here do you want some chicken?”

two beers in and not prepared. 
    Should have offered her eggs, not chicken  ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My daughter has just turned 15 this Thursday. And I don't know what to do with her.....she thought she was fat and has started starving herself out, eating literally 150 to 200 calories on a good day. She's turning into a shadow and is still not happy with her weight. Or, she might be happy, but still won't start eating more "as she will get fat again". Her only friend ended up in a hospital a couple of days ago for not eating too, and is in a very serious condition, the outcome is uncertain. She is the best in her class in everything except PE, takes piano classes, plays guitar too. I've considered her to be very shy and with problems in socializing, but a confident person with a mind of her own. And then I see how wrong I was and how low her self esteem is.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    warhead said:
    My daughter has just turned 15 this Thursday. And I don't know what to do with her.....she thought she was fat and has started starving herself out, eating literally 150 to 200 calories on a good day. She's turning into a shadow and is still not happy with her weight. Or, she might be happy, but still won't start eating more "as she will get fat again". Her only friend ended up in a hospital a couple of days ago for not eating too, and is in a very serious condition, the outcome is uncertain. She is the best in her class in everything except PE, takes piano classes, plays guitar too. I've considered her to be very shy and with problems in socializing, but a confident person with a mind of her own. And then I see how wrong I was and how low her self esteem is.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your family situation.
    Not making a diagnosis here, but I worked with a person for years who was a very high achieving, super smart, hilarious individual that just happened to disagree with everyone else about how she felt/looked. She did have medical help, so I hope that you can find a point where you can relate to your daughter & find a way forward.
    * Just wondering if this topic might not be safer in 'Friends & Family" ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @warhead   that sounds a truly very difficult situation and I hope for everyone’s sake she can get the help it would seem she needs. I wish you the best and hope you can find resolution. 

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Thank God I never had kids is all I can say.

Client of mine, young firmly Jewish father of two very pretty girls, spent half his time in the office talking to one or other of them, giving them lectures on which boys were, and which boys were not, suitable company and which events they might attend together.

To say he was worried sick about the first one leaving home for uni, would be not doing the situation justice.

I had to laugh, and I knew what he meant, when he said " I know what teenage boys are like; I was one once and I wouldn't let either of my daughters go out with me" :)

Life is hard enough.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited September 2023
    @warhead said:
    My daughter has just turned 15 this Thursday. And I don't know what to do with her.....she thought she was fat and has started starving herself out, eating literally 150 to 200 calories on a good day. She's turning into a shadow and is still not happy with her weight. Or, she might be happy, but still won't start eating more "as she will get fat again". Her only friend ended up in a hospital a couple of days ago for not eating too, and is in a very serious condition, the outcome is uncertain. She is the best in her class in everything except PE, takes piano classes, plays guitar too. I've considered her to be very shy and with problems in socializing, but a confident person with a mind of her own. And then I see how wrong I was and how low her self esteem is.
    Please take her to a therapist who deals with eating disorders. In teenage girls it usually happens in peer groups collectively.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    warhead said:
    One of my 17 year olds friends is in a very bad place with an eating disorder, I would strongly advise getting her help ASAP, they definitely operate in clusters as well.   Unfortunately there is loads of it about Mrs Mgaw is a GP and sees quite a few similar aged girls presenting with similar signs as your daughter. I would contact your GP but also her school should have a pastoral team in place who could point you to the right services.

help can be thin on the ground unfortunately due to constant cut backs etc

all the best good help sought early is a big advantage. 

• mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    One further point if I may, it’s very important to understand that eating disorders are a serious mental health issue very often it’s a need to feel some ‘control’

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    rlw said:
    Thank God I never had kids is all I can say.

Client of mine, young firmly Jewish father of two very pretty girls, spent half his time in the office talking to one or other of them, giving them lectures on which boys were, and which boys were not, suitable company and which events they might attend together.

To say he was worried sick about the first one leaving home for uni, would be not doing the situation justice.

I had to laugh, and I knew what he meant, when he said " I know what teenage boys are like; I was one once and I wouldn't let either of my daughters go out with me" :)

Life is hard enough.

My daughter is going to uni on 23rd September. I’m very sad for me about her not being around but I’m excited for her and told her to go and have all the fun she can and have a ball. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Offset said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but...thankfully, she's dead.

Honestly, she was the nastiest, most hateful evil person I've ever encountered in person. She's the one who fed all that crap to our daughter over a period of years to set it all up. She spent 20 years trying to split us up, and 45 years ruining my wife's life.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg (probably not a story for this thread).
    Sounds like my MiL, but unfortunately she's still alive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    My mum pushing my wee sister in a pram up a hill......"God, I'm out of puff"

My wee sister tae mum......"You'll get one when we get tae Grans"
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter