Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Enough of the smoking mirrors! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Enough of the smoking mirrors!

What's Hot

Comments

• I work a lot with His Majesty's Navy.  The one that I hear most - and is all the more infuriating is "Pacific" - and specifically not the bloody Ocean!

Maybe not quite the same but my favourite 'military-ism' is the habit of service persons introducing themselves thusly:

"Hello, my name is Sgt Bloggs".

It's really not, unless your parents were masters of nominative determinism and/or you changed your name every time you were promoted.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    Nearly unique.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I will send it to ' YOURSELF '
    where has this gem beloved of call centre staff come from ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I'm getting increasingly bemused by people using 'outwith' when they mean outside.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm getting increasingly bemused by people using 'outwith' when they mean outside.

AFAIK, 'outwith' is a version of 'without' prevalent north of the border.  And 'without' can mean 'outside' - as in:

There is a green hill far away
    Without a city wall
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Let me use my supposable thumbs to do some research on my phone.  I’ll get back to you.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Dominic said:
    the_jaffa said:
    That sort of error is known as an Eggcorn. There’s quite a lot of them
    Is that the same as a mixed metaphor or not Pacifically ?
    Mixing metaphors - Is this the thin end of the slippery slope?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Don't have one from today, but two of my favourites came from Sir Trevor McDonald: "The government is to ban all small caliger handbuns", and the classic "The cunt Kentryside" :)

Loads of people complained about that second one... what is the point of that? Yes it's a rude word, but it was a mistake :confounded: 
    I like the story (presumably true) of somebody who complained to the beeb after turning on Radio 4 and hearing the expression ‘tits like coconuts’ - turned out to be a programme about the feeding habits of garden birds.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tannin said:
    Stuckfast said:
    The one that really gets my goat is when people use 'commonplace' as it it was a posh way of saying 'common'. 
    I can't comment on the people using it, or on whether they are using it correctly, but the two words do have different meanings. Anything commonplace is by definition common, but any number of things can be common without being commonplace.
    Yes exactly! It's like when people say 'epicentre' instead of 'centre'. They think it's a fancy way of saying the same thing but it actually means something different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dariusdarius Frets: 592
    Well well well
    How the turn tables…
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    BillDL said:

I used to work with a guy that took two very standard proverbs or clichéed sayings and pieced them together without realising what he was doing, for example:
    "You can drag a dead horse to water, but you can't make it drink".
    "It's like oil off a duck's back".
    In that vein, a colleague of mine has (consciously) coined:

"Let's burn that bridge when we come to it"
    That's an old City (of London) saying when back-pedalling on a series of promises to a customer.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    rogd said:
    Nearly unique.
    I heard "Fairly unique" the other day...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I'm getting increasingly bemused by people using 'outwith' when they mean outside.

AFAIK, 'outwith' is a version of 'without' prevalent north of the border.  And 'without' can mean 'outside' - as in:

Without a city wall
    I understand the context & variations, I was commenting on the rise in the use of the term including on Radio 4.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Chalky said:
    rogd said:
    Nearly unique.
    I heard "Fairly unique" the other day...
    It's the oxymoronic "very unique" which gets me. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615

Without a city wall
    You can tell who went to Sunday school as a kid, or sang hymns in school assembly, or perhaps still goes to church.  That was the first thing that also popped into my mind, having gone to Sunday school when I was young.  As a kid in the Boy's Brigade my Dad said that he thought the hymn said "My cup's full of running water" , instead of "My cup's full and running over", but would sing that part more quietly because he could hear that others were singing something slightly different.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    In the name of the father, the son, and into the hole he goes:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    People saying ‘literally’ when they mean ‘figuratively’.

People saying ‘question mark’ when they mean ‘question’.

People in restaurants who ask the waiter ‘Can I get a coffee?’ (I assume that it’s not actually wrong as it’s using ‘get’ to mean acquire rather than fetch but I still expect the waiter to reply ‘Probably best if I get it Sir’. Also, can you actually have ‘a coffee’? Surely it’s ‘a cup of coffee’ or ‘some coffee’.)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I often used to see "rediculous" instead of "ridiculous" - frequently used by the same people who write "defiantly" instead of "definitely".  I can understand the latter, as it can be a spell-check thing and easily ignored by people who don't know the difference.  But where did "rediculous" come from?  It's not even a word.
    No-one mentioned ‘would of’ yet?
    Did you read back all the comments?  Somebody could of already mentioned that  ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Anyone else heard of a “hydrochondriac”?
    Yes, every time my Mother's friend visits the GP every with an ailment she tells them "I'm not a hydrochondriac, so you can take my word for it that when I say there's something wrong there definAYTly something wrong".
  • A particular annoyance for me is call centre workers who ask to confirm something or other.  A question that begs a yes or no answer...
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    Yes, it can be very tiring having to constantly correct everyone I talk to.

Thankfully my friends and family realise this, and are very thoughtful, so just try to avoid talking to me at all.

Shows how much they respect me 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Philly_Q said:
    I often used to see "rediculous" instead of "ridiculous" - frequently used by the same people who write "defiantly" instead of "definitely".  I can understand the latter, as it can be a spell-check thing and easily ignored by people who don't know the difference.  But where did "rediculous" come from?  It's not even a word.
    It's ridonculous. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SpoonMan said:
    Yes, it can be very tiring having constantly to correct everyone I talk to.

Split infinitive corrected.  ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonMan said:
    Yes, it can be very tiring having constantly to correct everyone I talk to.

Split infinitive corrected.  ;)

Well done, you pass  =)
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    On my band, when we are doing All Theses Things I've Done, our singer always sings "my erection. Well it comes and goes"

But his Mrs says he is singing the right words....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JEMJEM Frets: 76
    HAL9000 said:
    People saying ‘literally’ when they mean ‘figuratively’.

I'm afraid that ship sailed years ago :-(

*sorry for the obscure link but the alternative was the Daily Mail and I'm not prepared to give them the clicks ;-)
  • khaotic said:
    I'm quite fond of "dire rear" as an alternative for "diarrhoea" - it's pretty accurate and descriptive
    I have had cause to message someone about this gastric complaint this morning and dire rear was easier to spell, got the point across and got a LOL. Excellent. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break.