Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Enough of the smoking mirrors! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Enough of the smoking mirrors!

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    although my favourite has always been an idiot I sat next to at a rather sumptious banquet made a point of saying that the Oysters and Champagne were very effluent..........
    on reflection ,how right he was !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    When I was about 17 I used to cut out some of the hilariously worded entries in the classifieds section of newspapers and keep them in a scrap book.  Back then you paid by the word, so economy was key, as was evident by the one that sticks in my mind:
    "Fish tank. 4'x3'. Mahogany".
    When they were changing over from individual metal letters in a block (can't recall the proper terminology) to word processors, sometimes the "typesetters" hit the wrong letter, or maybe they had difficulty reading the hand-written forms you had to complete.  One I remember was:
    "18ct gold ring with single diamond in shite claw setting".

I used to work with a guy that took two very standard proverbs or clichéed sayings and pieced them together without realising what he was doing, for example:
    "You can drag a dead horse to water, but you can't make it drink".
    "It's like oil off a duck's back".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Dominic said:
    although my favourite has always been an idiot I sat next to at a rather sumptious banquet made a point of saying that the Oysters and Champagne were very effluent..........
    on reflection ,how right he was !
    Yep, oysters are basically shit feeders.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    My neighbour regularly comes out with some corkers. A while back he was telling me about a friend who’d developed cancer in his sarcophagus  
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • “on route” 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    boogieman said:
    My neighbour regularly comes out with some corkers. A while back he was telling me about a friend who’d developed cancer in his sarcophagus  
    My mummy had that. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • People who use the word 'weary' when they mean 'wary'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    'Asterix' for 'asterisk' is commonplace - but feck knows why.
  • BillDL said:

I used to work with a guy that took two very standard proverbs or clichéed sayings and pieced them together without realising what he was doing, for example:
    "You can drag a dead horse to water, but you can't make it drink".
    "It's like oil off a duck's back".
    In that vein, a colleague of mine has (consciously) coined:

"Let's burn that bridge when we come to it"
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now |  WTB: EQD Talons | Jazzmaster build thread
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Don't have one from today, but two of my favourites came from Sir Trevor McDonald: "The government is to ban all small caliger handbuns", and the classic "The cunt Kentryside" :)

Loads of people complained about that second one... what is the point of that? Yes it's a rude word, but it was a mistake :confounded: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    A rather eccentric bloke used to come in our local pub ranting and raving about various odd things. He was burbling about Libya one day and informed us all that he thought that 'bloody Yasser Marrowfat' should be shot!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • In Brizzle they say "cheers drive"

Instead of "dangerous, bus driving twat"!

Or isn't that what we're doing?
  • I work a lot with His Majesty's Navy.  The one that I hear most - and is all the more infuriating is "Pacific" - and specifically not the bloody Ocean!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802

Nice - I may well borrow that one.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:

Nice - I may well borrow that one.
    Well, there's no point in burning bridges until the fat lady sings.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    This whole thread is a bit of a damp squid.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    This whole thread is a bit of a damp squid.
    I think that's a mute point. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Offset said:
    Tsk, the gaul of some people. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Football commentators saying "he spurned a chance on goal".  No, he did not make a deliberate choice not to score, he just couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

And don't get me started on "stonewall penalty".
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^  1000%
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Also on football particularly, but elsewhere too: when they say "impossible to underestimate his contribution" when they clearly mean "overestimate".  Grrrr!

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited September 2023
    I rememeber a football comentary from some time back: That's super, it's superb,  it's superfluous!

"Let's burn that bridge ..." was coined by Robert Heinlein in Stanger in a Strange Land I think.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • The one that really gets my goat is when people use 'commonplace' as it it was a posh way of saying 'common'. 
  • Offset said:
    Do they call those Egyptian decorative pole things an Obelix as well?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Offset said:
    Doubtless because of the famous comic book series of that name.

g

Asterix the Gaul is the main character, but we also fondly remember gigantic Obelix who delivers menhirs, Getafix the druid, Vitalstatistix, the village chief, and of course Cacofonix the bard.

• BodBod Frets: 1206
    Stuckfast said:
    The one that really gets my goat is when people use 'commonplace' as it it was a posh way of saying 'common'. 
    The Americanism 'oftentimes' really annoys me - 'often' will suffice.  
  • Tannin said:
    Offset said:
    Doubtless because of the famous comic book series of that name.

g

Asterix the Gaul is the main character, but we also fondly remember gigantic Obelix who delivers menhirs, Getafix the druid, Vitalstatistix, the village chief, and of course Cacofonix the bard.

And let's not forget Weetabix the builder
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Stuckfast said:
    The one that really gets my goat is when people use 'commonplace' as it it was a posh way of saying 'common'. 
    I can't comment on the people using it, or on whether they are using it correctly, but the two words do have different meanings. Anything commonplace is by definition common, but any number of things can be common without being commonplace.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Americans who say "I could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less". 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 103
    I'm quite fond of "dire rear" as an alternative for "diarrhoea" - it's pretty accurate and descriptive
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter