Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Enough of the smoking mirrors! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Enough of the smoking mirrors!

What's Hot
In the paper today: local politician having a grumble about the state government's secrecy and poor communication: "Enough of the smoking mirrors!"

Well, we know what he meant. 

What linguistic howlers have you seen today?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• That sort of error is known as an Eggcorn. There’s quite a lot of them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited September 2023
    I use one of them to check I look good in my smoking cap and smoking jacket.

I don't. 

I look magnificent
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's a Doggy Dog world out there
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sellers on Facebook Marketplace can sometimes be seen advertising a Chester Draws.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Smoking Mirrors would be a good name for a band.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    As would The Escape Goats.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NothingOnTheTeleNothingOnTheTele Frets: 312
    edited September 2023
    'We're going over it with a fine tooth-comb.'

Dentists recommend that you comb your teeth twice a day.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    Tow the line
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594

Isn’t the correct saying “fine toothed-comb” rather than the tooth brush you are implying?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited September 2023
    From old TV:

A Moo point. Like, a cow's opinion.

A damp squid.

From real life:

I pacifically told you to do that.

My boy calls a type of fast food handburgers.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I've noticed a significant increase in rebbelliousness in the past several years. Lots of people declaring "I'll defiantly do that". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 90
    edited September 2023
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I don't have an example from today, but I'll bet there's one - the constant use of "flaunt" when they mean "flout", as in flout the law. It's not an 'evolution of language', it's plain wrong because it means pretty much the opposite of what they're trying to say.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkb said:

Isn’t the correct saying “fine toothed-comb” rather than the tooth brush you are implying?
    It's just the hyphen out of place:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fine-tooth-combSporky said:
    I've noticed a significant increase in rebbelliousness in the past several years. Lots of people declaring "I'll defiantly do that". 
    I suspect autocarrot may be partly responsible.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    the_jaffa said:
    That sort of error is known as an Eggcorn. There’s quite a lot of them
    Or BoneAppleTea in redditspeak. I wonder if phone speech to text is responsible for some of the more egregious examples.
    mrkb said:

It's just the hyphen out of place:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fine-tooth-comb
    Ah, I see now, thanks.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    the_jaffa said:
    That sort of error is known as an Eggcorn. There’s quite a lot of them
    Is that the same as a mixed metaphor or not Pacifically ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    A fat builder that used to work for us told us that the clinic said he was O' Beast  !
    What a fool........he didn't have a drop of Irish blood in his fat body
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    edited September 2023
    An ex girlfriend used the phrase "Gone to Hell in a handbag" I pointed out it was usually "in a handcart". She thought about it, decided hers was better and stuck with it.
    I liked her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It says some people say ‘another think coming’ i stead of ‘another thing coming’….it’s the former who are correct, in this instance.

FWIW, I say the ‘wrong’ version myself - I think most people do - but ‘think’ was the original correct version.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tannin said:
    In the paper today: local politician having a grumble about the state government's secrecy and poor communication: "Enough of the smoking mirrors!"

Just one quote and everyone replies on mass
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    edited September 2023
    "this room looks like a bomsytit!"

A bloke at work used to refer to putting one's head above the pulpit.  I despised him, not just for that btw.

Also, people in Leicestershire say "straight the way" instead of straightaway.  Really annoying.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    On the original, I wonder whether the mistake was the local politician's or the journo... 
    Tannin said:

Just one quote and everyone replies on mass
    And I hope they quote mass in kg and weight in newtons ;) 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I like to use kg-force and lb-mass to confound amateur pedants.

Also the metric inch (exactly 25mm), which I may have invented myself. 
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    All the sudden 
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 187
    edited September 2023
    "Got my new phone... it's great to be in communicado again"

Overheard in supermarket "Have you got desecrated coconut?"

Popular with Americans "per say"
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Sporky said:
    On the original, I wonder whether the mistake was the local politician's or the journo... 
    I wondered the same thing.
    I havn't got time to post on this thread........I'm off on my Holibobs