Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). On the move again! Toying with selling a guitar that I never thought I'd sell... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

On the move again! Toying with selling a guitar that I never thought I'd sell...

What's Hot

Comments

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    From reading this and the other post I'd say you should keep it (which it seems like you've come round to). I find I play or rotate my guitars a bit - finding one fabulous for a while and favouring it until I start using another one more - perhaps this SG will find itself in favour again?

But even if it doesn't, putting myself in your shoes, I can't imagine the money you'd get for would be enough for the odd times you do play it and immerse in the memories.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 675
    edited August 2023
    As others have said, you won't get enough for it to justify the loss on a sentimental level. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 419
    I agree with the general consensus to keep it... which is a shame, because it's the only birth year guitar I've ever seen that I like!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for the comments and thoughts.  It's funny though because I really don't 'do' nostalgia much, as it doesn't strike me as particularly helpful or healthy (it certainly fuels existential angst, when I consider the first time I played this was over 30 years ago - which has whizzed by and, when the same passage of time passes again, I imagine I'll be dead).  A lot of conflicting thoughts really, as much as I don't give a toss about 'legacy' or anything, I have nobody to bequeath it to and would rather it move on in my lifetime.

I will likely keep it but I doubt the feeling that it should move on will pass, so we will see.  If anybody were genuinely interested, by all means get in touch.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    I agree about the nostalgia thing.
    I don't really like getting attached to material things too much. 
    You can't hold on to everything. 
    I'd rather know it's giving someone some enjoyment and continuing it's journey than stuck in a cupboard. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I'd sell it to be honest. Its value and its history will not outlive you, it might just end up as no-name £50 Cash Converters wall art. 

That's just me though, I'm old and finally breaking my hoarding habit, and have also dealt with a few estates in the last few years where the treasured possessions of dear friends just starts to look like sad old tat in the cold light of day. 

That wasn't meant to sound so depressing, sorry! There's also a joy in finding good homes for things where they'd be genuinely appreciated, I've had a lot of fun doing that lately, to be more positive. 
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90fool said:
    I'd sell it to be honest. Its value and its history will not outlive you, it might just end up as no-name £50 Cash Converters wall art. 

That's just me though, I'm old and finally breaking my hoarding habit, and have also dealt with a few estates in the last few years where the treasured possessions of dear friends just starts to look like sad old tat in the cold light of day. 

That wasn't meant to sound so depressing, sorry! There's also a joy in finding good homes for things where they'd be genuinely appreciated, I've had a lot of fun doing that lately, to be more positive. 
    I was coming here to advise the OP to keep it due to its sentimental value, but the quoted post has made me look at it differently.

What use is the guitar to the owner if it's not being played? There are enough people on this thread (myself included) who genuinely appreciate the guitar's back story and whose potential ownership of this lovely instrument would be enriched by knowing it.

I would still suggest that it's the OP's decision whether they keep or sell this guitar, but if they do sell it, sell it on here with the back story attached and do so with the reassurance that it's going to someone who will appreciate the guitar's history.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • More wisdom there. 

It’s available for £1k with an Epiphone hard case. Postage extra - or collect from Carlisle. Fitted with P90s and can include the aftermarket ‘DiMarzios’ (unsure) now-covered yellow-bobbin pickups for £50. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    p90fool said:

That's an extremely perceptive post, especially the part about estates.  Been there too.

If you don't really need the money, I'd keep it while you can still enjoy it but bequeath it to someone who can continue to enjoy it.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    It’ll be worth peanuts to anyone else. To you it has value. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Plenty of guitarists manage to play fast widdly stuff on an SG.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093

No, no, no, 

You don't love me and I know now
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the comments and thoughts.  It's funny though because I really don't 'do' nostalgia much, as it doesn't strike me as particularly helpful or healthy (it certainly fuels existential angst, when I consider the first time I played this was over 30 years ago - which has whizzed by and, when the same passage of time passes again, I imagine I'll be dead).  A lot of conflicting thoughts really, as much as I don't give a toss about 'legacy' or anything, I have nobody to bequeath it to and would rather it move on in my lifetime.

I will likely keep it but I doubt the feeling that it should move on will pass, so we will see.  If anybody were genuinely interested, by all means get in touch.
    That's really nice ... love that burst. I think were it me I'd keep hold of it - as others have said, the lack of a logo will knock some off what you'd get for it - and replacing it with anything that pretty would cost silly money. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me a proper worn SG looks the bollocks.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Thanks for the comments and thoughts.  It's funny though because I really don't 'do' nostalgia much, as it doesn't strike me as particularly helpful or healthy (it certainly fuels existential angst, when I consider the first time I played this was over 30 years ago - which has whizzed by and, when the same passage of time passes again, I imagine I'll be dead).  A lot of conflicting thoughts really, as much as I don't give a toss about 'legacy' or anything, I have nobody to bequeath it to and would rather it move on in my lifetime.

That's really nice ... love that burst. I think were it me I'd keep hold of it - as others have said, the lack of a logo will knock some off what you'd get for it - and replacing it with anything that pretty would cost silly money. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me a proper worn SG looks the bollocks.
    Gorn already.
  • Thanks for the comments and thoughts.  It's funny though because I really don't 'do' nostalgia much, as it doesn't strike me as particularly helpful or healthy (it certainly fuels existential angst, when I consider the first time I played this was over 30 years ago - which has whizzed by and, when the same passage of time passes again, I imagine I'll be dead).  A lot of conflicting thoughts really, as much as I don't give a toss about 'legacy' or anything, I have nobody to bequeath it to and would rather it move on in my lifetime.

Gorn already.
    To Mr @Woodandwires ;

Confident it’s going to a good home!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    It’s all academic now, but here’s Allan ripping it up on a 70s SG:

https://youtu.be/-mGvt2HFJ7c?si=ngSu7h9olC12BwLY
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    beed84 said:
    It’s all academic now, but here’s Allan ripping it up on a 70s SG:
    Unreal
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Too much of that there jass, man  :s
  • Quick update, sadly my sausage fingers are struggling with the utterly fabulous neck on the guitar. I have been in conversation with @imalrightjack  the guitar is great just my huge great big hands. SO, I am offering it up to anyone who was initially interested for the price I paid, exactly as in this listing.
  • Quick update, sadly my sausage fingers are struggling with the utterly fabulous neck on the guitar. I have been in conversation with @imalrightjack  the guitar is great just my huge great big hands. SO, I am offering it up to anyone who was initially interested for the price I paid, exactly as in this listing.
    I have to say, for £1,000, you will struggle to get a guitar anywhere near as good as this.  The neck is pretty narrow at the nut (I can't recall what I measured it at - 40mm?) but this would suit a lot of people very well.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • if I held onto everything that had a connection to my past I'd be a ridiculous hoarder. 
    You say it like it’s a bad thing ;-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Here's a beat up old SG. Might not be your bag, but Woody Weatherman wails on his for Corrosion of Conformity.

• An ancient knackered wreck from 1973 that nobody is interested in.

but enough about ME, what a lovely vintage guitar! GLWTS

•  Master luthier Haydn Williams retained the original ebony board and built a new wenge neck

If Haydn's worked his magic on it, it'll be at least as good as the original ever was. And guitars with stories - like my Dave Copeland custom 36-fret from the 'Mystery Guitar' thread, or my prized Washburn EC-29 protoype - are always ones I'd recommend keeping. Don't lose that history.
  • It’s actually boomeranging back to me in a typical Fretboard deal!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • If anybody is interested, this is again up for grabs for £1k.  It's a genuinely great guitar but I've no use for it.  However, I do need an electro acoustic, so if you've anything (preferably smaller), and are interested, drop me a message.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    What a beauty! 
  • axisus said:
    What a beauty! 
    Thanks, @axisus - it really is.  Just had a play with it and it's so slick.  I 100% believe it's the best guitar on the forum at this price.  Anybody with small hands looking for a guitar? :)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    axisus said:
    What a beauty! 
    Thanks, @axisus - it really is.  Just had a play with it and it's so slick.  I 100% believe it's the best guitar on the forum at this price.  Anybody with small hands looking for a guitar? :)
    Try posting it on TRUTH Social.