Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). On the move again! Toying with selling a guitar that I never thought I'd sell... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

On the move again! Toying with selling a guitar that I never thought I'd sell...

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3503
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Here we go with a will I regret this and is there even any point, i.e. does it have any value?

So, it's a 1973 Gibson SG that had a neck break and catastrophic repair.  Master luthier Haydn Williams retained the original ebony board and built a new wenge neck - and it's a great little guitar, very resonant.  But...I hardly ever play it, as I tend to play fast widdly bollocks it feels way more a jazzy/blues/punk/grunge guitar.  It has nostalgic value but then if I held onto everything that had a connection to my past I'd be a ridiculous hoarder.  So I am hovering over selling it.  Had I any children or relatives to hand it onto, I would.  It really does feel like it should be used more.

The new neck is an improvement on the original, it's now fitted with Haydn's hand-wound P90s (I still have the unidentified aftermarket once-yellow bobbins but now covered humbuckers) but...what kind of price would it fetch (it has an Epi case)?  I still have the original headstock face and bit of the headstock itself but that clearly doesn't help, aside prove what it once was.

I might well keep it but I'm curious to know what you wise people think.

Full back-story here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/183769/the-ongoing-salvation-of-a-70s-gibson-sg/p1

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I think you should keep it and play fast widdly bollocks on it. They're actually quite good for that, at least by the standards of 'classic' guitar designs.

If you do decide to sell it, it's definitely worth less than an undamaged one despite probably being a better guitar, but it certainly isn't worth nothing.

But I would still keep it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Keep, because it's worth more to you as is than anyone else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3782
    That’s very cool, I might be interested if it’s cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I would absolutely 100% keep that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650
    That’s lovely! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Very cool & unique. Don't sell it, you won't get enough to blot out the inevitable regret.
  • Ach, don’t sell that!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I'd keep it - as a player grade 'oldie' it is probably worth more to you than try to justify all the 'issues' to a potential buyer who'd want to beat you down on the price - Ask a grand they'd offer less - Ask £800 they'd still offer less, pointy out the 'negatives' each time, as though you hadn't noticed already and price accordingly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    It's probably a brilliant guitar that's worth bugger all so I'd suggest you keep it.
  • It’d be easier if it went to somebody I know, like @andy1839, where it wouldn’t just be flipped. 

I’ll have to have a think. If the four I have listed sold I’d be likely to consider moving it on. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I've just read your story about that guitar and if it was mine I would definitely not sell it unless I was absolutely broke and none of my other guitars would make enough money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    I would love that 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2142
    It’d be easier if it went to somebody I know, like @andy1839, where it wouldn’t just be flipped. 

I’ll have to have a think. If the four I have listed sold I’d be likely to consider moving it on. 
    Having played this, I can comment a little bit on it.

It's super resonant and feels really lively.
    The neck is gorgeous.  Out of the guitars i played at yours that day, this is pretty much the only one I vividly remember, and definitely my favourite of yours.

I can't play fast or even very well, but as a basic guitarist I honestly loved it. 

I thought you'd never sell this!

I know you'll regret it.
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 88
    Don’t sell it, you’ll never get out the value to you or the money you’ve put into it.

(if you do though, add me to the queue)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I've just re-read the original thread and I'm even more strongly going to advise you not to sell it - even if you never play it, and even if you don't think guitars should be left unplayed... it's got a long history with you and one day you'll miss it, and then it will be gone.

Personally, I would put the DiMarzio (I think that's what they are) pickups back in - that will make it more suited to the type of music you play, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    That’s lovely! :)
    Theres your confirmation it tat and no one else will buy it. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    ICBM said:
    Personally, I would put the DiMarzio (I think that's what they are) pickups back in - that will make it more suited to the type of music you play, I think.
    Everything is better with Dimarzios. Definitely wang whatever suits what you do in there. I see guitars mostly as pickup vessels though obviously they are very nice as well lol
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    I hardly ever play it, as I tend to play fast widdly bollocks it feels way more a jazzy/blues/punk/grunge guitar. 

Ah, keep it.  Just drop a couple of EMGs and a Floyd Rose into it.

Ooh!  And scallop the fretboard.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Refinish it graffiti yellow, carve a monkey grip into it and add a sideways vibrola / bigsby.

Then you'll never be able to sell it.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    Get it mounted over a mantle piece somewhere - I had a guitar that I wasn't playing and I wish I did that... :'(

Do you still have the Williams?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I quite fancy that…but then again, I am a bit of a tart  =)
  • I think it must stay! 

@Schnozz Don’t be silly. I’m about as good at holding onto guitars as Barry Butterfingers.

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Funny thing is doing the honest thing and not having the Gibson logo put back on it probably devalues it a lot. 

If you’d been worried about selling it ever you wouldn’t have done that. I think that means deep down it’s probably always been a keeper to you.

Keep it. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    @imalrightjack ;
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

And then when you’ve thought about it, no again.

Its not worth much and the sentimental value is so high, you’ll regret it forever.
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited August 2023
    Well I'll go against the grain and say if you're not playing it and not loving it let someone else.

I'd play the crap out of that! 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I play fast widdly bollocks on my SGs for years now.  Highly recommended. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited August 2023
    chris78 said:
    @imalrightjack ;;
    Mama mia, mama mia
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    edited August 2023

chris78 said:
    No, no, there’s no limits 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    I think it must stay! 

@Schnozz Don’t be silly. I’m about as good at holding onto guitars as Barry Butterfingers.
    The grey/blue one you had made for you too?? You're worse than me!!
  • Mudz73Mudz73 Frets: 4
    Nice! My birth year too!