Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gibson Les Paul Standard - New Custom Colours - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gibson Les Paul Standard - New Custom Colours

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited August 2023
    I like the ebony top Std, like Justin Hawkins original "black shuck" std before he switched to LP Customs. If only you could get them at 8 1/2 lbs rather than closer to 10lbs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    So, it’s about £200 extra to get the top sprayed at the factory with £5 worth of paint and thinner AND it takes less time to shoot than a burst? 

Printing money..

As much as Gibson's image has suffered over the last few years, I'd much rather them stay in business by printing money than disappear altogether.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    nacnudnai said:
    So, it’s about £200 extra to get the top sprayed at the factory with £5 worth of paint and thinner AND it takes less time to shoot than a burst? 

Printing money..

As much as Gibson's image has suffered over the last few years, I'd much rather them stay in business by printing money than disappear altogether.
    I’ll take “answers to statements I didn’t make” for 5 points please Bob.

;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader

Printing money..

:D 

What will be interesting is to see how quickly these sell. I'm guessing the blacktop, red and pelham blue ones will sell easily and we'll see the Inverness green, fuchsia and blue burst ones stuck at dealers and blown out at 40% off in a year. 
    Certain colours will be quite popular I suspect. Although that blueberry burst does nothing for me at all. Black and Pelham blue will do very well I reckon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    nacnudnai said:

Printing money..

I’ll take “answers to statements I didn’t make” for 5 points please Bob.

;)
    I don't think I said you made a statement, or even disagreed/agreed with you. I expressed a personal opinion based off of what you said is all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A lot of the cool "new" colours were first tried in the hated 2015 anniversaries, just sayin'
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I like the plain tops, the figured amber and cherry are nice too, but nothing new. I still think I’d rather pay the extra for a used R7 or R8 though.
    A lot of the cool "new" colours were first tried in the hated 2015 anniversaries, just sayin'
    Ah, 2015 - Gibson's "got drunk, did a bunch of mental stuff, passed out, woke up in 2019 and thought it was all a dream until all my mates reminded me I actually did it" phase.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    nacnudnai said:
    A lot of the cool "new" colours were first tried in the hated 2015 anniversaries, just sayin'
    Ah, 2015 - Gibson's "got drunk, did a bunch of mental stuff, passed out, woke up in 2019 and thought it was all a dream until all my mates reminded me I actually did it" phase.
    You apologise to my 2017 Classic right now.
    Tim
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    I wish they'd not bothered with these colours and developed a standard Les Paul with a proper top carve.

Can't remember the last time I saw a deep recurve on any new non-CS Gibson.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    BigPaulie said:
    I wish they'd not bothered with these colours and developed a standard Les Paul with a proper top carve.

Can't remember the last time I saw a deep recurve on any new non-CS Gibson.
    Why would they do that and give people a reason not to buy CS ones?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I still miss my 1995/6 Studio in Wine Red.

That was a really easy to play guitar.
    timmypix said:
    nacnudnai said:
    You apologise to my 2017 Classic right now.
    I've seen inside that control cavity - I have absolutely no reason to apologise.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    tomajoha said:
    roberty said:
    Put me down for a blacktop. I've wanted one for at least a decade. I'd still rather an R8 version but I'm very glad this is an option
    £300 more gets you a custom Heritage at the moment https://www.andertons.co.uk/heritage-custom-shop-core-collection-h-150-electric-guitar-in-ebony-phrt-011107127-snt-1

Just saying...
    It’s a shame all those Heritages seem to have overly flat neck angles, the stoptails appear well jacked up 
    I would play one before judging them. They are exceptional
    tomajoha said:
    roberty said:
    Put me down for a blacktop. I've wanted one for at least a decade. I'd still rather an R8 version but I'm very glad this is an option
    £300 more gets you a custom Heritage at the moment https://www.andertons.co.uk/heritage-custom-shop-core-collection-h-150-electric-guitar-in-ebony-phrt-011107127-snt-1

Just saying...
    It’s a shame all those Heritages seem to have overly flat neck angles, the stoptails appear well jacked up 
    Isn't it an over steep neck angle that would require a tailpiece to be raised?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    BigPaulie said:
    tomajoha said:
    roberty said:

Just saying...
    The carve will affect the geometry as well

I haven't noticed a correlation between stoptail height and anyhthing else to do with the guitar tbh. I've owned a dozen or more carve top LP types
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    perhaps there’s a lot of 8 year old paint tins nearing their expiry date at Gibson hq
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Yeah, the next refin of my LP will be as a blacktop, I've always loved that look. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited August 2023
    This has been done by Gibson before, the blueberry burst, Invernese green, white, pelham blue ebony and oxblood, are colours that immediately spring to mind - I even believe that the blueberry burst colour has been available since the Les Paul was available in a green burst though the colour obviously wasn't called green burst as far back as 2015 I believe.
    edited August 2023
    elstoof said:
    perhaps there’s a lot of 8 year old paint tins nearing their expiry date at Gibson hq
    Gibson went a bit crazy and people wanted just the basics. I think now they've been doing just the basics for a few years there's an appetite for crazy stuff again

edit: crazy = slightly different but still quite ordinary colours
    roberty said:
    BigPaulie said:
    tomajoha said:
    roberty said:

Just saying...

I haven't noticed a correlation between stoptail height and anyhthing else to do with the guitar tbh. I've owned a dozen or more carve top LP types
    It's all related isn't it?

The carve of the top is precisely why the neck must join the body at an angle in order to have sufficient clearance between the top of the guitar and the strings while maintaining a manageable playing action.

If the neck angle is sufficiently steep it requires the bridge to be raised creating a tighter break angle over the saddles which can lead to the strings hitting the back of the bridge as they travel to the tailpiece, in turn requiring the tailpiece to be raised instead of being "decked".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    BigPaulie said:
    tomajoha said:
    roberty said:

Just saying...
    Yes apologies got my steep/flat the wrong way round  :#
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I have never had a regular modern Gibson and a CS Les Paul side by side, is the top carve that big a difference?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2023
    The only ones I don’t like are the amber - although it would be OK if it was more yellow - and the white, which is awful. And the blue burst, but largely because it looks too much like an Epiphone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

BigPaulie said:
    roberty said:
    BigPaulie said:
    tomajoha said:
    roberty said:

Just saying...

The carve of the top is precisely why the neck must join the body at an angle in order to have sufficient clearance between the top of the guitar and the strings while maintaining a manageable playing action.

If the neck angle is sufficiently steep it requires the bridge to be raised creating a tighter break angle over the saddles which can lead to the strings hitting the back of the bridge as they travel to the tailpiece, in turn requiring the tailpiece to be raised instead of being "decked".
    The height of the stopbar doesn't say whether it's a good guitar or not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Jimmy Page #1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2008
    I like the inverness green. Not £2600 like it but still that and the Pelham blue are the nicest imho
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    roberty said:
    BigPaulie said:
    roberty said:
    BigPaulie said:
    tomajoha said:
    roberty said:

Just saying...

You're quite right. Have a "wiz" on me. I didn't claim that the height of the tailpiece said anything about the quality of the guitar one way or t'other.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    roberty said:

No, not by itself - but the height of the bridge does, in my opinion/experience. This then has a bearing on the minimum height of the stopbar.

roberty said:
    Jimmy Page #1

Perfect example. Listen to the Albert Hall recordings and you can hear it’s just not that good a guitar - the Custom sounds far better.

Joe Walsh didn’t even like it for slide!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I have never had a regular modern Gibson and a CS Les Paul side by side, is the top carve that big a difference?

Some CS guitars I've seen have beautifully carved tops with a lovely deep recurve.

It's a feature almost non-existent on most of the modern non-CS Les Pauls I've seen.

You'd think it would be and easy thing to get right with modern CNC machining.