Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Andertons/Victory - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Andertons/Victory

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Sassafras said:
    Mental picture of Charlton Heston and pals shouting "I work for Andertons" after their slave revolt failed...

Wasn't that Kirk Douglas, or have I got the wrong film?
    They're the same person. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    soma1975 said:
    It's just so pressurised to have to book to come into a shop. 

It also completely removes the thing of being a kid and popping in and wandering around and lusting after the instruments you see.

Feels like it has taken all the romance out of it. 

Totally, there’s a pretty good guitar shop just relocated within 2 miles of my house, but it’s appointment only so I’ve never been as I don’t want the shop to myself, I just want to pop in when I’m in the area and chances are they would get some business off me. It’s a crap system. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited September 2023
    My hot take?
    I thought that was a pretty good piece of investigative reporting from the KDH guy.
    I had no idea of Lee Anderton's involvement with Victory - it seems I wasn't alone in this. 
    It should never have got to the point that Advertising Standards Agency had to get involved (nice to see they did - turns out 3 people complained to them regarding this).

Will I stop watching Anderton's Music youtube vids - no. I find them entertaining and at times informative. If anything they've been slightly too proficient with their media - you can easily forget at the end of the day their purpose is in the promotion of their business.

Though in Phil McKnight's words, KDH is "shaking the beehive" - in this instance he had a right to do so.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sassafras said:
    Yorkie said:
    soma1975 said:
    What if KDH is working for Andertons
    What if we’re all working for Anderton’s? 
    Mental picture of Charlton Heston and pals shouting "I work for Andertons" after their slave revolt failed...

Ahh yes - Kirk Douglas.

A lot of my gags are getting fact checked today - really going to need to do more research before casually making a joke :lol:
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Well done sir!

Thre had to be a benefit to this discussion eventually!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sassafras said:
    Yorkie said:
    soma1975 said:

Ahh yes - Kirk Douglas.

A lot of my gags are getting fact checked today - really going to need to do more research before casually making a joke :lol:
    DON’T EVEN JOKE ABOUT IT!

(please see older threads for reference)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Yorkie said:
    soma1975 said:
    There is no spoon
  • roberty said:
    Yorkie said:
    soma1975 said:
    There is no spoon
    Mr...Anderton?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ha Brilliant!

I suspect Lee is keeping up with this thread so I want to see a video where he puts on some sunglasses while Pete plays "Wake Up" in the background as soon as it can be arranged please Lee.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    NelsonP said:
    If only he'd met Chappers at the end of the night in the NAMM pub, that 'reunion' video might have been quite different. 
    What's he gonna do? Challenge him to a Crossroads style duel? Scary...
    Ha ha, that would be awesome!
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    chris78 said:
    dindude said:

Compare that to Peach’s (i mention them as John seemingly took exception to stocking Victory amps) increasingly insular view of the world, still need to book appointments as if we were in Covid times, video content went mute a while ago and since Jack left we don’t even get to see players head! 

John is a proper player with some decent chops and has a very fine collection. He’s also very hands on in terms of the business so the boutique stuff they stock (and I’d still put victory in that category when they’re charging £2300 for a v40) is stuff he believes in.

From what I understand, the reason for the booking is they feel it works. I’ve been in to try since Covid and you get the pleasure of being able to play gear without any rush or the world looking on. Compare to andertons where you’re lucky to bag a demo room. If you’re serious about making a purchase, calling peach to arrange to come in doesn’t seem like a huge deal and it means it doesn’t interfere with their online operation.
    I went to Andertons recently on what turned out to be a very busy Thursday  - I had a demo room all to myself no pressure and they let me help myself to guitars, I even got a nice playing comment from someone :) - really helpful staff and a decent deal struck on the day - I couldn't ask for more. If/when I need some more/other equipment I'll go back without any hesitation. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    edited September 2023
    CaseOfAce said:
    My hot take?
    I thought that was a pretty good piece of investigative reporting from the KDH guy.
    I had no idea of Lee Anderton's involvement with Victory - it seems I wasn't alone in this. 
    It should never have got to the point that Advertising Standards Agency had to get involved (nice to see they did - turns out 3 people complained to them regarding this).

Will I stop watching Anderton's Music youtube vids - no. I find them entertaining and at times informative. If anything they've been slightly too proficient with their media - you can easily forget at the end of the day their purpose is in the promotion of their business.

Great post and my thoughts entirely.

I still watch Andertons, as it's good entertainment, I like Lee and DP, and love DPs playing. Also, they are not scared to say they're true feelings - whether they sell the product or not.

Andertons is still my first port of call for pedals.
  • Nikc said:
    chris78 said:
    dindude said:

Compare that to Peach’s (i mention them as John seemingly took exception to stocking Victory amps) increasingly insular view of the world, still need to book appointments as if we were in Covid times, video content went mute a while ago and since Jack left we don’t even get to see players head! 

John is a proper player with some decent chops and has a very fine collection. He’s also very hands on in terms of the business so the boutique stuff they stock (and I’d still put victory in that category when they’re charging £2300 for a v40) is stuff he believes in.

From what I understand, the reason for the booking is they feel it works. I’ve been in to try since Covid and you get the pleasure of being able to play gear without any rush or the world looking on. Compare to andertons where you’re lucky to bag a demo room. If you’re serious about making a purchase, calling peach to arrange to come in doesn’t seem like a huge deal and it means it doesn’t interfere with their online operation.
    I went to Andertons recently on what turned out to be a very busy Thursday  - I had a demo room all to myself no pressure and they let me help myself to guitars, I even got a nice playing comment from someone :) - really helpful staff and a decent deal struck on the day - I couldn't ask for more. If/when I need some more/other equipment I'll go back without any hesitation. 
    I went to Anderton’s recently on what turned out to be a very quiet Friday - I got a lecture on the ‘million pound room’, how I couldn’t touch anything without asking permission, and how expensive the CS shop room salesman’s guitar was, and why expensive guitars were better than £1k guitars you sell for £500. I won’t be back. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Feck it. I’m buying a Victory amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    edited September 2023
    Nikc said:
    I went to Andertons recently on what turned out to be a very busy Thursday  - I had a demo room all to myself no pressure and they let me help myself to guitars, I even got a nice playing comment from someone - really helpful staff and a decent deal struck on the day - I couldn't ask for more. If/when I need some more/other equipment I'll go back without any hesitation. 
    I went to Anderton’s recently on what turned out to be a very quiet Friday - I got a lecture on the ‘million pound room’, how I couldn’t touch anything without asking permission, and how expensive the CS shop room salesman’s guitar was, and why expensive guitars were better than £1k guitars you sell for £500. I won’t be back. 
    The difference between an excellent and poor salesman, and a sale and a no sale, explained beautifully.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I've ordered 5 Victory amps just to spite KDH.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Turns out KDH's got shares in Victory, and Lee Anderton is about to do an exposé about it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• …it’s a bit like Curry’s salesman pushing X brand TV because he gets a higher commission from those.  It’s not like he tells you his commission.

FYI - there are (or at least used to be) codes on the shelf-edge labels in Currys that tells you and staff which items have higher commission. I've not been to a Currys for years and my friends who worked their have all now left - but there was a time where you could see which commission tier any item was in.  Yes, you had to know what you were looking for - but at least it was there.

Although I understand your point is that they wouldn't advertise that commission level to a customer - i just thought it was an interesting thing to note.  
    Gulliver said:

…it’s a bit like Curry’s salesman pushing X brand TV because he gets a higher commission from those.  It’s not like he tells you his commission.

FYI - there are (or at least used to be) codes on the shelf-edge labels in Currys that tells you and staff which items have higher commission. I've not been to a Currys for years and my friends who worked their have all now left - but there was a time where you could see which commission tier any item was in.  Yes, you had to know what you were looking for - but at least it was there.

Although I understand your point is that they wouldn't advertise that commission level to a customer - i just thought it was an interesting thing to note.  

That's another one KDH might waste his time investigating like a pound shop Jessica Fletcher.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1112
    Sassafras said:
    Gulliver said:

…it’s a bit like Curry’s salesman pushing X brand TV because he gets a higher commission from those.  It’s not like he tells you his commission.

That's another one KDH might waste his time investigating like a pound shop Jessica Fletcher.
    And yet 13 pages later here you still are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Gilly said:
    Sassafras said:
    Gulliver said:

And yet 13 pages later here you still are.

Of course, it's fuckin hilarious!
  • Sassafras said:
    I've ordered 5 Victory amps just to spite KDH.
    That's pretty exciting!

Which ones did you go for? I imagine that I'd like The Copper Deluxe - the one with a spring reverb 
  • This is ridiculous.

Andertons make videos of products they stock. They do not review gear, they demo it. They only demo what they sell and they want you to buy all of it. The video are there to promote the shop and shop stock and build a bigger shopper base.

You have to approach all of their videos assuming it's a sales pitch, nothing more.

Whether he owns a stake in any of the companies producing the products he stocks, is pretty much irrelevant - unless you happen to think his videos are impartial reviews. in which case, you are a nutter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Nikc said:
    chris78 said:
    dindude said:

And there's your mistake - should've gone on a busy day ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Has anyone mentioned Chappers yet?….. B)
  • So 2017 Les Paul Custom Shop R8, anyone buy one?

Joking aide how is this thread still going?

Lee has explained why he didn’t disclose his involvement for the last decade. “Legitimate reasons” apparently.  

Going forward he will advise he is an co owner of the brand every time he is pushing it online. Fin. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    This is ridiculous.

Andertons make videos of products they stock. They do not review gear, they demo it. They only demo what they sell and they want you to buy all of it. The video are there to promote the shop and shop stock and build a bigger shopper base.

You have to approach all of their videos assuming it's a sales pitch, nothing more.

Whether he owns a stake in any of the companies producing the products he stocks, is pretty much irrelevant - unless you happen to think his videos are impartial reviews. in which case, you are a nutter.

I’d be interested to know if anyone believes Andertons brainwashed people into buying a Victory amp or if they themselves bought one based on a blindfold test. Because they would definitely belong in the “nutter” category!
  • I am now considering buying a Victory amplifier :) ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fwiw I don’t use Andertons because their policies for international orders are shockingly poor. But I don’t make videos moaning about it, I just get on with my life.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Fwiw I don’t use Andertons because their policies for international orders are shockingly poor. But I don’t make videos moaning about it, I just get on with my life.  
    I should make a video about American/Japanese stores that do not ship overseas and I have to resort to a forwarding service  ;)