Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). RIP Bernie Marsden - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

RIP Bernie Marsden

What's Hot

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2008
    Sad sad news. I saw him at a PRS many years ago. Seemed like a down to earth fellow. RIP
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Sad news, everyone loved Bernie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very sad news, he seemed a genuinely decent and down to earth guy. RIP Bernie.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Amenable and very friendly man.RIP.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've been out all day and I've only just seen the news.  I did wonder about his health following the recent equipment sale, but it's still a bit of a shock.  As everyone says, he seemed a lovely, extremely down to earth chap - I can't think of anyone else with a similar level of fame and success who was apparently so amiable and well-regarded.

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    edited August 2023
    They say don’t meet a hero… early Whitesnake was on heavy rotation in my late teens and so I was honoured to meet Bernie, expecting him to be like most of the guitarists of that period I’d met… if we are honest, either a mess or an arrogant wanker. Bernie was neither - genuinely funny, kindly and humble, even. 
    I’m genuinely quite upset he’s left us. A great player, a good man and responsible for some of rocks great riffs. 
    RIP Bernie - and thank you.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A story...  A few years ago, Mansons (Exeter) ran a guitar show in the city centre and Bernie was there to demo a new Marshall amp on the demo/performance stage. I was there to see Thomas Blug demo the AMP1. There was some issue with the sound. The person "running" the PA from the back of the room clearly wasn't paying attention and Bernie politely (but totally on point) admonished him for looking at his phone (or newspaper, or whatever - I don't quite remember) instead of looking at the artist during the performance, because "If you'd been looking at me I wouldn't have had to talk over the PA to get you to do something". For me, a lovely insight into his personality. No drama, no screaming, just a polite but totally effective rebuke. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Always came across as a lovely bloke.  RIP, Bernie.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    Just found this - May 2011 and  I had Bernie on my stand, courtesy of PRS Guitars for a large part of the day, at the Manchester Guitar Show - Hard to believe it was 12 years ago - At the very start of the clip and the end, when Bernie is on stage you can just about see my 'poster' at the time - A PRS Modern Eagle with my logo - Nice interview with him especially talking about Rory and his Strat 

He was on the stand for a couple of hours, signing, talking and friendly to all - I recall he had a long chat with an MP (sorry can't recall who) but believe they became quite friendly after - MP played guitar - My only complaint was he ate my flap jack at the end of the day 

- Bugger - for some reason it won't let me post the video clip - If anyone can google Bernie Marsden Manchester Guitar Show 2011, you should be able to pick up the clip - Try posting it and see if you can get it to work 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Really sad news. Great player and character.

It's not a competition.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 927
    Sad news - very much a hero of mine.  His eighties solo albums were excellent and well worth a listen, not just teh catalogue we all know.

Saw him many a time, but only met the once, fleetingly.  He was still with Witesnake at the time and this was in a motorway service station.  Rather star struck and not knowing what to say - to my shame - I asked where he got his hats...  A polite smile and a friendly "nice to meet..."
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    I met him briefly at the World Guitars PRS event in Stonehouse.  It was amazing to see was him playing 'Here I go again' on an acoustic whilst also watching Paul Reed Smith and Nevile Marten absolutely mesmerised and looking like total fan boys.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    I'm not very good with faces so didn't recognise him but I heard him playing in a music store and commented to an assistant that the bloke playing down the other end of the shop was a bit good! 
    Bernie RIP.  You were definitely a bit good.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 37
    A sad day indeed, leaves behind a brilliant musical legacy. RIP Bernie
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    Just read he died of bacterial meningitis, isn’t this what Mr Beck died from?
  • markj said:
    Just read he died of bacterial meningitis, isn’t this what Mr Beck died from?
    Yes it sadly was. 
  • I was lucky enough to spend the day with Bernie a few years back. He was a brilliant player, but I shall remember him for being such a kind and generous man, who really took an interest in his fans. He even casually passed me the beast and let me strum a few chords. He will be greatly missed. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Joe B right now thinking of The Beast 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    soma1975 said:

Almost too late - Ed King's widow has already marched it down to Chicago Music Exchange for her commission.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Schnozz said:
    soma1975 said:

Almost too late - Ed King's widow has already marched it down to Chicago Music Exchange for her commission.
    @28:25 he wanted it to go to a player rather than a collector

https://youtu.be/L6V8htfnkvc?si=hMXkzCP0RqlMdn2l
  • Bernie was a fantastic guitarist and song writer. As mentioned by others he was also down to earth, without any “big time” ego. A key member of Whitesnake during their most creative period.
    RIP Bernie
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited August 2023
    RIP Bernie, an exceptional player and clearly an even better human being, sad though it is he has passed, what a lovely collection of tributes I've read over the last day or so.

Rest well Bernie, your legacy lives on safely. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Just found this - May 2011 and  I had Bernie on my stand, courtesy of PRS Guitars for a large part of the day, at the Manchester Guitar Show - Hard to believe it was 12 years ago - At the very start of the clip and the end, when Bernie is on stage you can just about see my 'poster' at the time - A PRS Modern Eagle with my logo - Nice interview with him especially talking about Rory and his Strat 

He was on the stand for a couple of hours, signing, talking and friendly to all - I recall he had a long chat with an MP (sorry can't recall who) but believe they became quite friendly after - MP played guitar - My only complaint was he ate my flap jack at the end of the day 

- Bugger - for some reason it won't let me post the video clip - If anyone can google Bernie Marsden Manchester Guitar Show 2011, you should be able to pick up the clip - Try posting it and see if you can get it to work 

I would guess that was David Morris, MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale?
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    edited August 2023
    Dodge said:
    I met him briefly at the World Guitars PRS event in Stonehouse.  It was amazing to see was him playing 'Here I go again' on an acoustic whilst also watching Paul Reed Smith and Nevile Marten absolutely mesmerised and looking like total fan boys.
    I was there that night too. Apparently it was one of the first times he’d performed HIGA on acoustic live. This is a video of the song from that night and definitely worth a watch for the music and his humour. RIP Bernie.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Whitesnake Maestro and Friends help the Winter Gardens  David Morris MP

Looks like you nailed it 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    edited August 2023
    Saw him twice onstage - both times guesting on a song with Gov’t Mule. On one of those times, he came onto the stage, plugged his guitar into the amp that had been set up for him and spent quite a while turning knobs to no avail as the amp resolutely remained silent.
    Tech walks onto the stage, switches the amp from Standby to On and everything was sorted. Throughout the whole thing, a smile never left Bernie’s face and he owned his daft mistake with the same good humour he seems to have made his trademark.

Also saw Warren Haynes play The Beast live in Milton Keynes.

I stay in Bernie’s hometown every summer, as my folks live down here, and I honestly thought one day I would bump into him on the high street and have a chat, like it would be the most natural thing in the world! As has been said by others, because of the down-to-earth warm he exuded, I felt like I knew him as a friend, despite the fact I had never even met him.

Every single tribute that has been posted about him has spoken of his personality every bit as much as his talent. That’s a great legacy to leave.

Rest well, Mr Marsden.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Very sad to hear. I never met him, but from what I’ve seen on YouTube, he seemed like a humble and down to earth guy who enjoyed playing and talking about guitar with others. RIP.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 927
    Philly_Q said:

Whitesnake Maestro and Friends help the Winter Gardens  David Morris MP

Looks like you nailed it 

Bernie had a Blackmore Strat?  There's some irony in there somewhere...
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979

I stay in Bernie’s hometown every summer, as my folks live down here, and I honestly thought one day I would bump into him on the high street and have a chat, like it would be the most natural thing in the world! As has been said by others, because of the down-to-earth warm he exuded, I felt like I knew him as a friend, despite the fact I had never even met him.
    Next time you're there, amble out on Castle St towards the church and down Bristle Hill/Nelson St; his old record shop is two doors down from the tailors and still has an old gig poster in the window, despite him not having used the shop for about 15 years. Seems somewhat poignant, now.
    Tim
  • timmypix said:

Next time you're there, amble out on Castle St towards the church and down Bristle Hill/Nelson St; his old record shop is two doors down from the tailors and still has an old gig poster in the window, despite him not having used the shop for about 15 years. Seems somewhat poignant, now.
    Yes, I’ve seen that! Didn’t realise until I saw your post that it was Bernie’s shop!