Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). RIP Bernie Marsden - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

RIP Bernie Marsden

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
in Tributes tFB Trader
I’m at a loss as to what to say .
I’d known he was in bad health and suspected that the sell-off of his guitars may have tied in with that , but still find myself shocked and saddened to see Bernie go.

He was a fun character and a great Blues player /rock player

We’ll miss you Bernie !

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited August 2023
    Really sad. Great guitarist. And great friend to sooo many people through his long and illustrious career.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    Gutted, RIP Bernie :-(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Wasn't expecting that. I thought he was doing alright. Shocked and saddened
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Oh that's sad news. Wonderful musician, songwriter, funny and warm man. I saw him live a couple of times and they were memorable experiences, Bernie at the merch store afterwards chatting with anyone who wanted, he said hello to me when I passed him in a corridor! His autobiography is great, that warmth really comes across. 
    RIP. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 506
    Oh no, this sad news hits hard RIP
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    Absolutely gutted. I was in a shop and opened Instagram in the queue and then couldn't quite cope with the friendly till person when this popped up!

Told my parents straight away and had a long chat with my Dad about him - the Marsdens were family friends when I was a child.

Bernie was endlessly friendly and chatty to anyone he met. I got to see him and Fran at the Guitar Show last year and we pinged a couple of emails back and forth in the time since.

I posted this in the thread about the Beast going up for sale a while back, but it feels more appropriate here, now:

He very much is down to earth and has a big heart - I grew up in the same village so have known him since I was small, and went to infant/primary school with his daughters.

Before he got back into the limelight (before everyone started obsessing over the Beast), he ran a second-hand record store (ie, asked everyone local if they had any records they wanted rid of!) as a hobby just round the corner from my house, so I used to pop in and chat on the way back from school, and he remembered that when I saw him at the Guitar Show last year, which was a nice surprise! He told me that apparently it was through me he first heard JoBo's music - this was early-mid 00s when Blues Deluxe had just come out, a friend had lent it to my Dad, and I told Bernie about it. Not sure if that entitles me to some sort of small commission...?   

This will very much be with family in mind. I know he's spoken to my Dad before and said that the guitars in the lock-up don't have prices on them, but rather an equivalent value - ie, this one will buy you a car, this one will buy you a house, etc.

Somewhere I have a photo of me playing with Bernie at the tender age of 13 at my Dad's 50th, which Bernie kindly agreed to do for free in the village hall and let me play one of his Strats. The strap was way too long and I don't think it was actually plugged in properly, but I had fun! The Marsdens always used to throw big NYE parties too, and I can remember being very happily plonked in the corner at one with a guitar that he was happy for me to play when I'd first started learning - a Gibson Explorer with his name on! Though the coffee table book he did recently shows it's not actually a Gibbo.

I do hope Bernie's well, as I have some very fond memories of him being a figure in the village, and I'm sure having someone local who was a Real Guitarist influenced my passion for the instrument.
    Obviously that last sentence didn't quite work out, but the sentiment stands. I'm rather upset this evening and I didn't even know him that well, but I will treasure the memories.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very sad news, never met him but seemed like a lovely bloke. RIP Bernie 
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 505
    Oh sad news. Most famous of course for Whitesnake duties and I certainly had all the albums back then. Some very enjoyable content on Youtube too. Loved his interviews with Lee Anderton etc. Joins the ranks of departed UFO members as well as he was briefly in the band before Schenker. Great tunes, great playing, RIP Bernie.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    What a great player.

The Marsden/Moody incarnation of white snake played a big part in my teens.

Saw him paying solo years later and he blew me away again.

RIP Bernie. Sad day for music.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 2872
    He came across as such a nice bloke full of interesting stories, always loved watching interviews with them
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    Lovely man, great legacy. RIP Bernie 
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is really sad news, he was part of the soundtrack to my youth, saw him and Micky Moody in Whitesnake when I was in Germany. Ain’t no love in the heart of the city is still an all time favourite of mine. Latterly, I did a guitar course in Cheltenham and he was a guest tutor. RIP 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    RIP Bernie
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    My friend and I got to wish him happy birthday at the Birmingham Guitar Show in 2022 - Was great to see him in person and a fond memory. Very sad to lose him. RIP.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    He was a nice human being and a wonderful musician, in a business full of people with way more attitude than talent.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    He was truly a positive force for the guitar community, sad news. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Oh. He was one of those musicians who was still one of us underneath - a fan of music and guitars. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1071
    Sad news. Only saw him play live once, with Whitesnake in 1980. Always loved that he wasn't a flashy guitarist and his tasteful playing always served, and enhanced, the song.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3162
    Rest in Peace Bernie. You were a great musician and a good man
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Sad news. RIP. I only ever saw him interviewed and he seems really genuine and warm man as well as a tasteful player. 
  • Sad news indeed.
    Was only listening to him talking with Guy Pratt & Gary Kemp on an early Rockonteurs podcast on the way home from a gig last weekend.
    Came across as very down to earth and a proper fan on the instrument.
    Was lucky enough to meet him briefly at a PRS event years ago.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    Lovely guy - RIP Bernie. :(
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Shocked at this.. I was only talking about him on here a couple of days ago. I never met him but feel like I knew him due to his lovely manner in interviews. RIP Bernie.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    Shame - great player and a genuinely nice, down-to-earth bloke by all accounts.
    R.I.P.
  • Saw him at Peach a couple of times and he seemed like a really nice guy. RIP Bernie.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    I met him once outside Sound Affects in Ormskirk - he'd just done a guitar clinic there, I think. We spoke only briefly, but he seemed like a lovely, genuine, friendly chap. And, of course, his taste in guitars was absolutely wonderful, looking at his collection for sale at ATB.

RIP Bernie.
    Call me Dave.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Met him a few times mainly via PRS events. Very laid back and down to earth guy. No big time ego . So sad RIP big fellow 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
    Echoing someone else above, saw Moody Marsden Whitesnake a fair few times at the Temple of Rock AKA the Hammersmith Odeon and once early on at the Lyceum, Bernie was so good in that band, smiling all the while. Saw him maybe a decade ago guesting with Gov’t Mule in London. Seemed like a top bloke :-(
    Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
  • RIP wasn’t expecting this at all 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    Met him a few times over the years at clinics and gigs always the gent got time to talk guitar and tell a funny story or a good old yarn. He was a great British player and a great songwriter. 72 is young these days.