Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). So is there a better movie and story and a set of songs than - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

So is there a better movie and story and a set of songs than

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    SpoonMan said:
    The wall.

Great album, terrible film. Parker was clearly the wrong choice as director. The animation scenes are amazing, the rest very poor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited August 2023
    axisus said:
    SpoonMan said:
    The wall.

Great album, terrible film. Parker was clearly the wrong choice as director. The animation scenes are amazing, the rest very poor.

I liked it.
    I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea though. It's not exactly a Hollywood blockbuster, but as a work of art alongside the album I think it works.
    I think the album makes a lot more sense when you see the film.

I probably watched it enough as a teenager to never need to watch it again though.
    I might if I happened to see it on telly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    rhinofeet said:
    Purple rain?
    Yes, Purple Rain a decent film with a great soundtrack. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    David Brent - Life on the Road ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    sev112 said:
    David Brent - Life on the Road ;)
    Oh hell yes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    The Aristocats?
    There's some great swinging tunes in that.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    Timcito said:
    Timcito said:
    It is exceedingly good.

However i don't think the "woke" criticism of it is new, I remember discussing the problematic nature of Kipling in general at high school which would have been 20 years ago.
    You may have sat around in school/college circles discussing the imperialist implications of Kipling twenty years ago; I remember a similar scenario here in the US back around 2009 in which we talked about Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and the framing of native Africans as "the other" (buzz word back then). 

However, this nitpicking tendency to root out even the slightest trace of infamy in otherwise harmless and joyful children's films does seem relatively new and rather lamentable. Would any balanced human being seriously take offence at The Jungle Book?
    Clearly people have, but you like to come on here and complain about them for for some utterly bizarre reason. 
    The 'utterly bizarre reason' for bringing it up is that the film is in danger of being eliminated rather than receiving a new accolade, which one poster suggested.
    No, that’s not the reason and you know it. 
    It was the reason. I have absolutely no idea what other nefarious motives you think prompted the remark. Please enlighten me because for some utterly bizarre reason you seem to have your boxers all in a bunch about this.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Oh no, a film is “in danger.”  @Timcito the mission is yours, should you choose to accept it.

Anyone mention The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted?  Or most stuff that Bret McKenzie is a part of?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    You guys get that the apes in The Jungle Book are typically-coded old-timey black folk stereotypes right? 

It's not an inherently racist story, but the presentation could be improved massively and to pretend otherwise is a little shortsighted.

I will certainly never accept a blanket argument of "some people think it's ok so why don't you just shut up and let them enjoy it" because that's how you end up with a holocaust. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    equalsql said:
    The Aristocats?
    There's some great swinging tunes in that.
    And some racist Chinese stereotypes! YAY! 
    ^^^ keep going, Sticky.  I’m learning a lot about you.
    Cranky said:
    ^^^ keep going, Sticky.  I’m learning a lot about you.
    I don't know if that's good or bad..! :D 

But anyway, I don't care about the films - my preferred approach for anything not completely abhorrent would be to put a disclaimer on the front that these things were made 50+ years ago and that some themes or depictions may not sit right in a modern context. But not ban shit outright - that's what the fascists want...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Cols said:
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which was coincidentally also scored by the Sherman Brothers.

Honourable mention for Almost Famous, which is an absolutely magnificent love letter to that particular rock era of the early 70s.  Apart from the period-perfect soundtrack, the original songs for the fictional band Stillwater are absolutely spot on.  I suppose it helped to have Nancy Wilson and Peter Frampton composing them.

Yes.

The Sherman Brothers don't get anything like the recognition they should. That's one hell of a catalogue of songs.

And Almost Famous is a great shout. The Stillwater songs are really solid.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Sporky said:
    Josie And The Pussycats. 

Actually really good. A bit of a who's who of late 90s American alternative music in the songwriting credits- Adam Duritz (Counting Crows), Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne), Kay Hanley (Letters to Cleo) (who also sings on all the songs), Jason Faulkner (Jellyfish), Jane Wiedlin (GoGos)...

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    And as I recall, they all actually learned to play the instruments do they'd look at least halfway convincing. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Sporky said:
    Josie And The Pussycats. 

Actually really good. A bit of a who's who of late 90s American alternative music in the songwriting credits- Adam Duritz (Counting Crows), Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne), Kay Hanley (Letters to Cleo) (who also sings on all the songs), Jason Faulkner (Jellyfish), Jane Wiedlin (GoGos)...
    Jellyfish were my favourite band of the '90s.  Bellybutton and Spilt Milk were both stonking albums but sadly that was the sum of their original output and the band split way too early.

To pursue my Jellyfish itch I bought a couple of Jason Faulkner's subsequent solo efforts.  Disappointingly, there were really poor and I probably only played them a few times before giving up.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Is the prominent use of English accents among villains in American entertainment a racial stereotype?  I think we should be told!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited August 2023
    I haven’t read all the thread but surely it must’ve been said already - The Blues Brothers.
    Back on topic, has anyone said That Thing You Do yet? 

Not the best music film and most of the songs are average, but man that title track is spectacular.

Not the best music film and most of the songs are average, but man that title track is spectacular.

It's an absolute banger. Another Adam Schlesinger jam. He had several original songs in films around the millennium.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

And as such, is perfectly illustrative of most ‘third tier’ bands of the 60s - one standout, classic song that everyone still knows today, and two or three albums worth of not-terrible but totally forgettable, and forgotten, also-rans… before their record contract expired and they went back to playing summer camps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Back to the Future had a cracking sound track
    As did Ghostbusters and Beverly Hills cop.
    In fact a lot of 80s films had good sound tracks.
    Maybe not the absolute best but very enjoyable.
    For me however it's got to be either Blues Brother or the Commitments 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    west said:
    It was the first cinema film i was taken to , although as it was released in 67 i must have caught it a couple of years later at the danilo cinema brierley hill ... its perfection i always have a copy about me ... trust in meeeeeeeeeeeeee ..... !

It was the first cinema film for me too.  I've always thought I saw it in 1969, I'd have only been three and a half when it was released in 1967 and I feel like I was a bit older than that, so maybe there was a re-release.  It was a double bill with Disney's version of The Prince and the Pauper, at a cinema in Swansea - either the Castle or the Carlton, I really don't know.

As for it being the best film with the best songs or whatever... I don't have strong feelings on that, but I certainly remember all the songs.  We had this unofficial(?) soundtrack album with Geoff Love and his Orchestra and the Mike Sammes Singers.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    That is equally the worst and the most brilliant album cover ever! 
    I can’t believe it took me this long to think of it, but Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a fantastic combination of story and song.