Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). So is there a better movie and story and a set of songs than - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

So is there a better movie and story and a set of songs than

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I saw the jungle book at the cinema when I was 4. To be honest, but the time we got a copy for my kids to watch I found it a little ... dull. It's OK, and it's a classic, but there are many Disney films that I'd rather watch. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Saturday Night Fever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Shit. I knew I'd missed one. I have remember!!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    May not fall under 'movie' but 'Hamilton' has my favourite collection of original songs outside of the typical music/genres I enjoy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    Jungle book is brilliant. I enjoyed re watching it 500 times this week with my 2 year old. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    Rocky Horror Picture Show

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTee said:
    May not fall under 'movie' but 'Hamilton' has my favourite collection of original songs outside of the typical music/genres I enjoy 
    I was thinking the same but with 'Rent' 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    MrTee said:
    Hamilton is brilliant. A masterpiece. For me, Satisfied is one of the all time great musical songs. It's quite unbelievable that such a groundbreaking musical was written by one man (Lin-Manuel Miranda) both music AND lyrics, and he also had the temerity to be the star of the show. That is talent!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    edited August 2023
    It is exceedingly good.

However i don't think the "woke" criticism of it is new, I remember discussing the problematic nature of Kipling in general at high school which would have been 20 years ago.
    You may have sat around in school/college circles discussing the imperialist implications of Kipling twenty years ago; I remember a similar scenario here in the US back around 2009 in which we talked about Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and the framing of native Africans as "the other" (buzz word back then). 

However, this nitpicking tendency to root out even the slightest trace of infamy in otherwise harmless and joyful children's films does seem relatively new and rather lamentable. Would any balanced human being seriously take offence at The Jungle Book?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Josie And The Pussycats. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    sev112 said:
    West Side Story

Yes, that was great. It was new kind of American musical, too - a step away from traditional productions like Oklahoma.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    edited August 2023
    I'll put in a bid for Calamity Jane. Doris Day had a lovely voice and there were some cracking songs like Deadwood Stage and Secret Love. Childhood Sunday afternoon/bank holiday viewing (this or The Great Escape) for me. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Timcito said:
    westford said:
    Jungle Book’s going to be in cinemas soon as part of the Disney 100th anniversary. 

Unfortunately, there has been some woke criticism of the film. over here in the US. Some characters have been deemed to be 'racially stereotypical' and 'hurtful.'

So it goes.
    Christ on a bike.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Evita.

Not the sort of thing I'd usually watch but it's a completely brilliant movie with superb music.
  • Timcito said:
    It is exceedingly good.

However i don't think the "woke" criticism of it is new, I remember discussing the problematic nature of Kipling in general at high school which would have been 20 years ago.
    You may have sat around in school/college circles discussing the imperialist implications of Kipling twenty years ago; I remember a similar scenario here in the US back around 2009 in which we talked about Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and the framing of native Africans as "the other" (buzz word back then). 

However, this nitpicking tendency to root out even the slightest trace of infamy in otherwise harmless and joyful children's films does seem relatively new and rather lamentable. Would any balanced human being seriously take offence at The Jungle Book?
    Clearly people have, but you like to come on here and complain about them for for some utterly bizarre reason. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Deadpool is better in all areas than jungle book!  Wham! Wham! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^ There is nothing offensive in The Jungle Book.  Some people go out of their way to find something that no ordinary person would see, and then wail about it to anyone who'd listen to prove their impeccable credentials.

If there's something in a film you don't like, don't watch it again.  But don't spoil everyone else's enjoyment of it.

Just because some people have taken offence doesn't make them right, does it?  Would you ban same-sex marriage because some people will 'take offence'?

It's this sort of thing that dilutes the benefits of having a social conscience and gives ammo to those who don't.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Timcito said:
    It is exceedingly good.

Clearly people have, but you like to come on here and complain about them for for some utterly bizarre reason. 
    The 'utterly bizarre reason' for bringing it up is that the film is in danger of being eliminated rather than receiving a new accolade, which one poster suggested.
  • Timcito said:
    Timcito said:
    It is exceedingly good.

The 'utterly bizarre reason' for bringing it up is that the film is in danger of being eliminated rather than receiving a new accolade, which one poster suggested.
    No, that’s not the reason and you know it. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    The matrix has gotta be up there.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Timcito said:
    For me, the award goes to Mary Poppins (the original, of course).
    I heard on Radio 4 yesterday https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fxbtvs that PL Travers (the writer of Mary Poppins) stipluated that the film should have no songs, plus a load of other caveats so the film was delayed by years of negotiations.

(Un)fortunately she fell on hard times and had to sell out to Disney and let him do what he wanted, albeit for a decent sum of money. The film was a huge success of course. It made Disney financially very secure and paid for Walt Disney World in Florida. PL Travers initially hated the film but grew to tolerate it.
    Timcito said:
    Timcito said:
    It is exceedingly good.

No, that’s not the reason and you know it. 
    Yes it is.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Offset said:
    ^^ There is nothing offensive in The Jungle Book.  Some people go out of their way to find something that no ordinary person would see, and then wail about it to anyone who'd listen to prove their impeccable credentials.

If there's something in a film you don't like, don't watch it again.  But don't spoil everyone else's enjoyment of it.

Just because some people have taken offence doesn't make them right, does it?  Would you ban same-sex marriage because some people will 'take offence'?

It's this sort of thing that dilutes the benefits of having a social conscience and gives ammo to those who don't.
    Fuck me you are good at drawing false parallels in order to win an argument.  Well done!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    I'm offended about Baloo wiping his arse on a tree. I mean, where's the hygiene? 

Also the monkey chap being king of the swingers. Pervert.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Purple rain?
    Cranky said:
    Offset said:

Fuck me you are good at drawing false parallels in order to win an argument.  Well done!
    I'll take that as a compliment.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I recently watched a documentary about blacking up and minstrelsy and there were many references to the inappropriate nature of the vulture scene in dumbo. “I’ve seen a horse fly… I’ve seen a house fly…” while I can see the point, I struggle to see how it would be hurtful to anyone. 

My own choice of perfectly crafted story to songs would be Sound of Music. So dated but I can sit and watch it every Christmas and enjoy every second. Most musicals make me cringe. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited August 2023
    Timcito said:
    For me, the award goes to Mary Poppins (the original, of course).
    I heard on Radio 4 yesterday https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fxbtvs that PL Travers (the writer of Mary Poppins) stipluated that the film should have no songs, plus a load of other caveats so the film was delayed by years of negotiations.

(Un)fortunately she fell on hard times and had to sell out to Disney and let him do what he wanted, albeit for a decent sum of money. The film was a huge success of course. It made Disney financially very secure and paid for Walt Disney World in Florida. PL Travers initially hated the film but grew to tolerate it.
    I’m neither for nor against Disney.  But the original book Mary Poppins isn’t that great and I had to skip over all the racist stuff when I read it to my kids.  The Disney version is purely pro-imagination and pro-children.  This is one of those cases where I’m not bothered at all by the fact that the original author hated the movie.

And that is why we want revise such works.  We want be able to read the books and watch the movies/tele with our kids — vulnerable young people who aren’t developmentally ready to process symbolism and innuendo that is racist, sexist, or whatever — without it having to be a “teaching moment” of some kind about how stupid and shitty people were about this or that.  It’s called moving on.
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited August 2023
    The wall.

Spinal tap.

I don't really like musicals as a general rule.