Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). So is there a better movie and story and a set of songs than - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

So is there a better movie and story and a set of songs than

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Jungle Book - So if you've not seen it you can't comment - If you've seen it I'm sure you'll agree - The whole story, the songs, the whole meaning - Phil Harris with Bare Necessities, Louis Prima and the king of the swingers/I wanna be like you - Then the ending when Baloo warns Mowgli not to go near women as they are trouble - The 4 vultures based on 4 lads from Liverpool - Perfect in so many ways
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• westwest Frets: 974
    It was the first cinema film i was taken to , although as it was released in 67 i must have caught it a couple of years later at the danilo cinema brierley hill ... its perfection i always have a copy about me ... trust in meeeeeeeeeeeeee ..... !

Also had one of those round wooden jigsaws of king louis and the gang in the jungle when i was a nipper in the 60s .... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cabaret
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    west said:
    It was the first cinema film i was taken to , although as it was released in 67 i must have caught it a couple of years later at the danilo cinema brierley hill ... its perfection i always have a copy about me ... trust in meeeeeeeeeeeeee ..... !

Also had one of those round wooden jigsaws of king louis and the gang in the jungle when i was a nipper in the 60s .... 

Ditto - first movie I saw - My dad always loved the story line + Phil Harris and of course Louis Prima - The day it was released on DVD for the first time, I purchased it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Nope. Nothing beats the Jungle Book in my eyes. As you say, it’s perfection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Oliver! It might have suffered from over exposure but Lionel Bart's music and lyrics are a clever and wonderfully tuneful rendition of the Dickens novel.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721
    What about Oliver. Charles Dickens and Lionel Bart had a great partnership.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    edited August 2023
    For me, the award goes to Mary Poppins (the original, of course).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Jungle Book - So if you've not seen it you can't comment - If you've seen it I'm sure you'll agree - The whole story, the songs, the whole meaning - Phil Harris with Bare Necessities, Louis Prima and the king of the swingers/I wanna be like you - Then the ending when Baloo warns Mowgli not to go near women as they are trouble - The 4 vultures based on 4 lads from Liverpool - Perfect in so many ways
    Yep.  Mum & Dad took me to the flicks to see it.  I adore everything about it.  We have it on DVD somewhere - my daughter was raised on it (and many other animated Disney films).

Happy times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    West Side Story

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    It was the first video my 3yo daughter sat all the way through. My ex-wife (divorced) did not like it when she was not there for the firsts. It used to piss her off.

So I thank Mowgli, Baloo and the gang for that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    Bare Necessities was played on Steve Lamacq's show tonight ! I listened to it in the car driving home and thought it was a pretty awesome piece of music.
  • westwest Frets: 974
    edited August 2023

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

Grease by Original Soundtrack Digital Download 1998 for sale online   eBay

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Little Shop of Horrors 1986-Frank Oz - El Holocausto de Pablo Alekssander
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    tFB Trader
    What I like about it is the simple stories of life that it tells us - You don't notice and appreciate it as an 8 year old on your first visit - The 2 key songs are just awesome anyway 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    edited August 2023
    I agree but there's always The Rutles.

"Sven Klang's Quintet" is pretty good if you can find it.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 514
    Jungle Book’s going to be in cinemas soon as part of the Disney 100th anniversary. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Top Hat 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    westford said:
    Jungle Book’s going to be in cinemas soon as part of the Disney 100th anniversary. 

Unfortunately, there has been some woke criticism of the film. over here in the US. Some characters have been deemed to be 'racially stereotypical' and 'hurtful.'

So it goes.
  • Brother Bear is better than Jungle Book
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    There are better movies than The Jungle Book, but I don't think there's a better set of original songs.

The 2016 Jungle Book is actually a better film - but ironically, the one place it really falls down is that I Wanna Be Like You really doesn't work in it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 169
    Wwwwwwweeeeeeeeeellllllllll...........OoooooooobieDooooooooo.!!!

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited August 2023
    Timcito said:
    For me, the award goes to Mary Poppins (the original, of course).
    Feed the birds!

Timcito said:
    westford said:

Unfortunately, there has been some woke criticism of the film. over here in the US. Some characters have been deemed to be 'racially stereotypical' and 'hurtful.'

So it goes.
    I’m not familiar with any “woke” criticism, but . . . I mean, it’s based on Kipling, who’s kinda the face of turn-of-the-century racist imperialist culture.  

Good stories, though, if it wasn’t for the baggage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    And could you find a better mate than Baloo - And a night out with King Louie would be a blast
  • Possibly the first soundtrack I ever owned. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which was coincidentally also scored by the Sherman Brothers.

Honourable mention for Almost Famous, which is an absolutely magnificent love letter to that particular rock era of the early 70s.  Apart from the period-perfect soundtrack, the original songs for the fictional band Stillwater are absolutely spot on.  I suppose it helped to have Nancy Wilson and Peter Frampton composing them.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Annie!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603

Timcito said:
    westford said:

So it goes.

Certainly Disney did things that were dodgy even by the standards of the time. However, interesting that King Louie in Jungle Book, which tends to be seen as the problem, was Uncle Walt's attempt to be non racist as he knew that his original casting of Louie Armstrong as an ape could be received badly. Not a Kipling issue as RK knew orangutans didn't live in India, this was a character created for the film. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • It is exceedingly good.

However i don't think the "woke" criticism of it is new, I remember discussing the problematic nature of Kipling in general at high school which would have been 20 years ago.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter