Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). India Moon Landing... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

India Moon Landing...

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    ^^ This was the reason for the sour taste in my mouth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    Leisceoir said:
    Is anyone going to say "well done" or is this thread for snide comments only?

They went from being one of the poorest nations on the planet at independance to the fifth largest economy and a space power in 75 years.

The Chandrayaan-3 mission cost $75 million - a fraction of comparable missions. ISRO has an annual budget 1/25 the size of NASAs.

What they're going to find out about water ice at the moon's south pole will benefit all of us in years to come.

Well done India.

I started the thread on the premise of humour, which is found in varying quantities among individuals.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    To balti go where no nann has gone before.
    16reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Leisceoir said:

What they're going to find out about water ice at the moon's south pole will benefit all of us in years to come.

Benefit ALL of us, did you say?  You sure about that?    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    There are some stark realities that cannot be avoided ... I always come back to this article when I need to assess what India is like in the grand scheme of things.

I'll say no more and allow folks to form their own conclusions.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/mambais-sewer-divers-make-your-job-look-like-the-greatest-profession-in-the-world/news-story/5410f843aac8a29feb6365796cece96f
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steersteer Frets: 1043
    edited August 2023
    Leisceoir said:

I am wondering how exactly this is going to benefit me and my family. How is the presence or not of water on the moon going to affect my life exactly? 

India probably don't need the congratulations of a bunch of guitarists because the self congratulation of the Indian people shown on the news last night is enough I think. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Leisceoir said:

They went from being one of the poorest nations on the planet at independance to the fifth largest economy and a space power in 75 years.

Well done India.

Actually, they went from being the richest nation on Earth before the British invasion and brutal conquest to the poorest nation on Earth after it. And some people here want to blame India for that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    I am all for some more conspiracy theory type threads. The Flat Earth thread, with siraxeman, was a forum high point for me. Hilarious stuff.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Tannin said:
    Leisceoir said:

Well done India.

Actually, they went from being the richest nation on Earth before the British invasion and brutal conquest to the poorest nation on Earth after it. And some people here want to blame India for that.

No one is blaming India for that , you are being disingenuous. People are highlighting the fact that the level of inequality in the country is ridiculous and widening year on year . I’m sure a huge proportion of the country couldn’t give two fucks about finding water on the moon unless it replaces the stagnant stuff they have to bathe in
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    steer said:
    Leisceoir said:

I am wondering how exactly this is going to benefit me and my family. How is the presence or not of water on the moon going to affect my life exactly? 

India probably don't need the congratulations of a bunch of guitarists because the self congratulation of the Indian people shown on the news last night is enough I think. 

They'll be able to sell us bottled mineral Moon water at an exorbitant price.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Tannin said:
    Leisceoir said:

Well done India.

No one is blaming India for that , you are being disingenuous. People are highlighting the fact that the level of inequality in the country is ridiculous and widening year on year . I’m sure a huge proportion of the country couldn’t give two fucks about finding water on the moon unless it replaces the stagnant stuff they have to bathe in
    Not disingenuous, honest.

Note that the social discord and chaos of India today owes a very great deal to its dreadful history. Would India be a better place to live today if it hadn't been invaded and had its economy destroyed by outsiders? Well almost certainly, yes. Would it be a model of peace and prosperity? Almost certainly no. But it would much closer. It is grossly unkind to blame a nation for its ills when so much of its original natural wealth was extorted by force and shipped to England.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    I don't think we in the UK have any right to criticise how India runs it's affairs, given how we have treated them in the past, and given how we shit on our own poor in society.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Tannin said:
    Tannin said:
    Leisceoir said:

Well done India.

Note that the social discord and chaos of India today owes a very great deal to its dreadful history. Would India be a better place to live today if it hadn't been invaded and had its economy destroyed by outsiders? Well almost certainly, yes. Would it be a model of peace and prosperity? Almost certainly no. But it would much closer. It is grossly unkind to blame a nation for its ills when so much of its original natural wealth was extorted by force and shipped to England.
    We were a horrible bunch of empire builders and asset strippers, I won't disagree with you there but the sheer wealth and opulence at the top of Indian society alongside the abject poverty and lack of social movement further down is truly depressing (not even getting into the caste system). Looking at those Oxfam numbers, the Indian economy is producing 70 new millionaires every day !  Thats concentrated at the very top where the opportunities are - thats not on us, thats on India
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    Leisceoir said:

The Chandrayaan-3 mission cost $75 million - a fraction of comparable missions. ISRO has an annual budget 1/25 the size of NASAs.

Well done India.

I think the best way to judge a society is how they treat the poorest and most unfortunate and on that basis India unfortunately don't get a tip off the hat from me for sending up a U$75 million rocket when so many people are starving

You can't argue with the facts - https://www.oxfam.org/en/india-extreme-inequality-numbers#:~:text=While India is one of,through crony capitalism and inheritance.

Same for NASA? 

The ISS has cost a bob or two.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Tannin said:
    Tannin said:
    Leisceoir said:

Well done India.

Would al Jinnah agree with you?  Would the treatment of Muslims by the Hindus be better today?
    edited August 2023

We were a horrible bunch of empire builders and asset strippers, I won't disagree with you there but the sheer wealth and opulence at the top of Indian society alongside the abject poverty and lack of social movement further down is truly depressing (not even getting into the caste system). Looking at those Oxfam numbers, the Indian economy is producing 70 new millionaires every day !  Thats concentrated at the very top where the opportunities are - thats not on us, thats on India
    I agree with you, bar two points. First, you are ignoring the inevitable effect of conquest and asset stripping - social dysfunction. This is writ large all over most of the former colonies. Complaining about India's sins in this context is rather like bringing a child up in a violent, dysfunctional home and then blaming him for doing poorly at school. (I should add that the British colonies were, in general, the least worst treated, but this is a fairly fine distinction.)

Second, this thread (not you in particular, the tread more generally, especially the first page of it ) is very keen to sneer at India in a rather nasty way. That is unkind and unfair. Or as John (8:7) put it, he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone. 

PS: yes, their caste system is an abomination!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Tannin said:

I agree with you, bar two points. First, you are ignoring the inevitable effect of conquest and asset stripping - social dysfunction. This is writ large all over most of the former colonies. Complaining about India's sins in this context is rather like bringing a child up in a violent, dysfunctional home and then blaming him for doing poorly at school. (I should add that the British colonies were, in general, the least worst treated, but this is a fairly fine distinction.)

Second, this thread (not you in particular, the tread more generally, especially the first page of it ) is very keen to sneer at India in a rather nasty way. That is unkind and unfair. Or as John (8:7) put it, he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone. 

PS: yes, their caste system is an abomination!
    I guess I'll agree to disagree to a certain extent @Tannin but you make some good points as always
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022

That's on capitalism and human greed more than anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    I spent six months in India in the 90's. Apart from the obvious joys of the place, such as the lovely people, wonderful food and natural beauty, the main thing that stood out was the glaring inequality.

It wasn't a gap year and I stayed in some pretty horrendous places along my way to save money and extend my trip. At times I felt I could imagine how a homeless person in the UK summer might feel conditions wise.

I rarely met anyone who seemed particularly unhappy despite their circumstances and I think that is a cultural thing. Doesn't mean it's right though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Is it for a new Scammers Call Centre.... Good morning this is Microshaft calling from the Moon, your computer is infected with a virus, press 1 to speak to Captain Kork , Press 2 for Accounts 
    “Ken sent me.”
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    DrCornelius said:

People are highlighting the fact that the level of inequality in the country is ridiculous and widening year on year .
    India or the UK? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited August 2023
    I am actually very pleased for the Indian people.  I wonder if they ever seriously considered the real possibility that one day somebody of Indian descent would be the Prime Minister of The United Kingdom and that they would be able to place their country's flag on the moon.  Hope is one thing.  Fulfillment is another.  I just hope that fighting doesn't break out over whether to build a Sikh or Hindu temple or a Mosque at the landing site.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:
    DrCornelius said:

People are highlighting the fact that the level of inequality in the country is ridiculous and widening year on year .
    India or the UK? 
    Fair point but not comparable in reality 
  • BillDL said:
    I am actually very pleased for the Indian people.  I wonder if they ever seriously considered the real possibility that one day somebody of Indian descent would be the Prime Minister of The United Kingdom and that they would be able to place their country's flag on the moon.  
    If you make up nearly a quarter of the planet's human population, probability-wise these types of things will start to happen.  
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    Is it for a new Scammers Call Centre.... Good morning this is Microshaft calling from the Moon, your computer is infected with a virus, press 1 to speak to Captain Kork , Press 2 for Accounts 

I'm dreadfully sorry, there doesn't appear to be a prick button available.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Well, there’s plenty of bitterness and xenophobia with a sprinkling of religious bigotry in this thread.  Nice one chaps, keep it up.

Well done to the Indian Space Research Organisation.  It’s an absolutely stupendous achievement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Cols said:
    Well, there’s plenty of bitterness and xenophobia with a sprinkling of religious bigotry in this thread.  Nice one chaps, keep it up.

Well done to the Indian Space Research Organisation.  It’s an absolutely stupendous achievement.
    Wis on both counts.

Frankly, economically, Britain should be looking for opportunities in the next superpower, not being racist about them, as I doubt overall they remember British rule terribly fondly.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Jfingers said:
    Is it for a new Scammers Call Centre.... Good morning this is Microshaft calling from the Moon, your computer is infected with a virus, press 1 to speak to Captain Kork , Press 2 for Accounts 

I'm dreadfully sorry, there doesn't appear to be a prick button available.
    Is that aimed at me ?
    “Ken sent me.”
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Cols said:
    Not really.  People have only stated facts.  It's then down to you how you position India's undoubtedly impressive technical achievement against the backdrop of those facts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter