Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). WezV - Offset DC Jnr build - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

WezV - Offset DC Jnr build

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Black certainly highlights the ally Scratchplate
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    I like the black. Nice with a nickel pickup cover and black reflector knobs to reinforce the black and silver theme.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Black is nice.

(Recessed) TOM and string-thru would let you play with putting the ferrules in a line sympathetic to the body curve (as if you didn't know that). 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Doghair black :) 

White grain fill and trans black. Apparently it's not so simple in practice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
     I did consider doghair.  Although I have a black cat with flecks of white hair, so it will be a cathair finish ;)

Sporky said:
    Black is nice.

(Recessed) TOM and string-thru would let you play with putting the ferrules in a line sympathetic to the body curve (as if you didn't know that). 
    I've drilled for an adjustable wraparound now.
    How open grained is the idigbo? Would it work for a grain filled finish?
    Yeah, it might work
    If I go for a Cat hair finish it does rule out seeing what it looks like as a korina guitar first.   

I will do a solid black sealer coat prior to the white grainfiller.

If it doesn't work, or the grain just doesn't look good i can still go with a more solid black
    I've sprayed a coat of solid black directly on the wood.   It's definitely going to be some sort of black now
    It needs another coat of black, but the first has sunk in nicely.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Looks great...Id be slarring Tru Oil on that!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It's thinned nitro at the moment, so I will carry on with lacquer.

I have a couple of white filler options to try
    Also, I've just worked out this is my 75th build over the last 21 years!!!   

That's not including the partscasters or refurbs I have done along the way.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Wow Wez! That's impressive. Special engraving on the truss cover perhaps? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That's not a bad idea
    Cat hair 

A lot easier than the Internet makes out.  2 coats of balck nitro direct to wood, then I used the white from a wood repair kit... this is already a thin paste.   I rubbed it in and then cleaned it up with isopropyl.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Oh my! Ive just had a moment, thats fabulous!

That looks great Wez. Same on the back of the neck? 
    Yeah, I did it all over.   Obviously the maple stripe has no grain to fill which creates a fun look on the neck shaft
    Nice  =)
    Ooh tasty, like an inverse TV Yellow in black and white!
    Damn!! That looks great
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    That’s looking real sharp
    edited August 2023
    davros said:
    Ooh tasty, like an inverse TV Yellow in black and white!
    Very similar.   

It's originally a 60's Epiphone colour called Silver Fox, but more commonly referred to as Doghair these days, since Collings brought it back.   Those old epiphones often look very green these days... I think I will keep the tint light on mine

The technique is called Ceruse

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    there are a few small imperfections in the finish.  Nothing fatal, but I thought I would show the fix as there are no 2nd attempts with a finish like this... you can add more filler fi needed, but can't easily take it away

I did 2 rounds of sanding on this from 120-320g mirka goldflex, wetting the  grain and letting it dry before each session. it was as smooth as anything, but the filler still showed some tiny flaws

sounds like a hack fix, but everyone need a black sharpie in their tool kit.  Here I used a fine liner to touch up some of the flaws that had been revealed by the filler.

Before

after

before

after

Before

after

before

after

edited August 2023

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Looking great, will be even better with the clear coats on. Can see it with a big chromey pickup in the bridge (covered PAF or big filtertron) 
    edited August 2023
    I was thinking of sticking with the open humbucker.... or possibly getting it a raw nickel cover... or a metal ring
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    That looks ace.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Fab !   Raw nickel cover would go well with the engraved ali plate - especially as it ages.   Marvellous looking guitar Wez.