Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What are the 'must-try' list of low gain overdrives - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What are the 'must-try' list of low gain overdrives

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Over the weekend I picked up a Magnetic Effects Sandare and its really very good. Recommended. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    I really like my old Timmy, but those are kind of unobtanium. 

On my little 'travel light' gigging board, I oscillate between a Mooer Blues Mood and a Mooer Black Secret (turbo mode, gain low). Neither is my favourite, but definitely 'good enough'. 

I have a few Lovepedals. Those can be great, especially the white Zen. That might be the present #1. 

Would like to try: Peacemaker, Barber Gain Changer, Ss/Bs mini, Xotic AC, Greer LS, Lovepedal Eternity. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Greatape said:
    I really like my old Timmy, but those are kind of unobtanium. 

On my little 'travel light' gigging board, I oscillate between a Mooer Blues Mood and a Mooer Black Secret (turbo mode, gain low). Neither is my favourite, but definitely 'good enough'. 

I have a few Lovepedals. Those can be great, especially the white Zen. That might be the present #1. 

Would like to try: Peacemaker, Barber Gain Changer, Ss/Bs mini, Xotic AC, Greer LS, Lovepedal Eternity. 

If you want to try the Xotic AC then I can confirm (having had both side by side) that the Mooer Flex Boost is a successful clone
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    No love for the Xotic EP Boost ?  I love it !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    same - after a Crybaby it's my longest owned pedal -  but I don't think you'd call it an overdrive 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    TimmyO said:
    Jalapeno said:
    same - after a Crybaby it's my longest owned pedal -  but I don't think you'd call it an overdrive 
    Gotcha !

Usually use it to to boost one of Zendrive, Mooer Black Secret (Rat Clone), or TRex Moller - which are my overdrives of choice.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    Unpopular answer ... any of them. They all sound the sodding same as they are all trying to emulate one of three old pedals. The only difference is exactly where to stick the knobs to get that sound.

Sorry ... I'm so sick of OD pedals. Seems like 400 come out every week and they are all "clones" of a screamer or klon or ... another one I've forgotten.

That said, can get more fun if you stack 'em.

Oh shit, I've turned into Rocker ... ignore me and carry on as you were :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 111
    The Keeley Super Phat Mod (wanky Boss BD-2) is filling this role on my board at the moment. Best pedal I’ve met for stacking and cleaning up on the guitar’s volume.

My Tele’s pickups are about the same volume, but drive a cranked amp very differently, with the bridge pushing into overdrive much earlier than the neck. My MXR Timmy put the same gain-knob layer of dirt on both, but the SPM acts just like the amp - the bridge pick-up breaks up before the neck.

It also cleans up so well that I can dial it in with medium gain then just use the guitar volume knob to back off for low gain. Although I really need to clean up my scratchy volume pot!

There is a hint of crackle in the decay, but it’s entirely possible to live with it, unlike the Hot Cake where it was more prominent and a real deal breaker. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    KoT has a good range but imho is better at high (cranked) amp volumes. No idea why. But the one that really impressed me was the Peacemaker
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I need to try the Hotcake again now I’m gigging once more. 

It was my favourite OD for years last I was playing with others.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Timmy, Lightspeed, Barber LTD, 1981 Inventions DRV
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Go get a Kermon Ridge, you’ll soon be selling a few pedals  ;)
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    sweepy said:
    You've spellinged it wrong!

One too many footswitches and at least two too many knobs for me!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Indeed I did I blame lack of glasses , but I have tried most pedals out there and it’s stellar. What amp and main guitars are you using ? makes a massive difference to what you want 
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 54
    Is the reason people love low-gain ODs so much that they allow you to overdrive the input stage while simultaneously adding a bit (but not too much) of clipping character? I never quite got the appeal until I realized how much I like a boost and how different it is than just turning up the amp. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    sweepy said:
    Pedals that do it all remind me off Mrs Doyle in Father Ted…..She gets a tea making machine for Christmas and she’s crestfallen….

https://i.imgur.com/CcHqYOR.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

jmf1928 said:
    Is the reason people love low-gain ODs so much that they allow you to overdrive the input stage while simultaneously adding a bit (but not too much) of clipping character? I never quite got the appeal until I realized how much I like a boost and how different it is than just turning up the amp. 
    I think it’s just that when you stomp you want a bit more “rarrgh” - and a low gain ticks that box but also still allows you some degree of dynamics rather than just becoming ‘power chords or bust’ 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    sweepy said:
    Indeed I did I blame lack of glasses , but I have tried most pedals out there and it’s stellar. What amp and main guitars are you using ? makes a massive difference to what you want 
    I don't want to sully this thread with a rig rundown ;)

I'm pretty much a believer in the following gain structure:
    • any guitar with a volume control
    • -> something to kick the tone, e.g. treble booster [Drybell Unit67]
    • -> overdrive pedal (optional depending on the amp gain) [Greer Lightspeed]
    • -> something to shape and lift for solos in the loop [Strymon Deco]
    • -> single-channel crunchy amp [Marshall SV20H or Dr Z Z-Wreck Jr]
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited June 2023
    Pedals I have owned that are well worth demoing 

Browne Protein or Browne Carbon (Bluebreaker)

Pedals I really want to try 

The Dane by Thorpy 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    King Tone Duellist V2 and Wampler Tumnus

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Is a low gain overdrive much different from a high gain overdrive with the gain turned down ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited June 2023
    Should have never started reading this thread!

Has any compared barbershop to Dane or peacekeeper?

I understand the Dane is based of the peacekeeper?

interested in how it stacks with boost going into it (like the Dane) or driving other od.

I guess it’s best to buy both and try them 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    I’m prob repeating a few that’s been mentioned but ones I’ve owned.

King tone duellist
    Vemuram jan ray
    thorpy dane
    mad prof royal blue
    Lightspeed ——- my favourite——-
    ryra klone
    browne protein 
    gladio sc

I’ve currently got the protein up for sale as gets no use.  I’m happy with my ryra klone into the lightspeed.  Lightspeed is fantastic and feels the best dynamically to play.  Gladio sc had a nice feel also.  
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    MXR Duke Of Tone has to be worth a shout.
  • Jazzy_JakeJazzy_Jake Frets: 108
    Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but the JHS Double Barrel is amazingly versatile and offers a huge spectrum of low gain overdrive sounds if you are willing to tweak some knobs.

It is a Morning Glory (Bluesbreaker based) on one side, and then a Moonshine on the other side (Tubescreamer based), which itself has a gain structure switch and a clean blend knob. You can stack them and swap the order with a switch.
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 57
    Barbershop is one of my favourite pedals

Heed the Cookiemonster.
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 57
    • Fairfield Barbershop is ace.
    • Tortenmann TA-100 often over-looked.

Both these do low gain very well. The TA-100 - with the boost switch - can do very gainy too. But it's a transistory-sort of ear-piercing / 'hairy' gain - almost fuzz. Run it at 18v in the boost mode with the gain and vol up and it'll kick the cr*p out of the front end of the amp. But run it low-gain and it's charismatic and vintage-y, but doesn't colour your tone too much. Massively under-appreciated gain pedal IMHO.
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 985
    I’ve been through tons over the years and oddly the one that I’ve settled on as being the sound I was chasing all along in the strymon deco (tape saturation side). 

I also have the kernom ridge which is brilliant at all sorts of low gain drives. 
  • selexisselexis Frets: 49
    Mr_Claw said:
    • Fairfield Barbershop is ace.
    • Tortenmann TA-100 often over-looked.

Both these do low gain very well. The TA-100 - with the boost switch - can do very gainy too. But it's a transistory-sort of ear-piercing / 'hairy' gain - almost fuzz. Run it at 18v in the boost mode with the gain and vol up and it'll kick the cr*p out of the front end of the amp. But run it low-gain and it's charismatic and vintage-y, but doesn't colour your tone too much. Massively under-appreciated gain pedal IMHO.
    Almost forgot about the TA-100, I used the original Telenordia pedal for years. Such a great pedal!