Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What are the 'must-try' list of low gain overdrives - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What are the 'must-try' list of low gain overdrives

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Tim/Timmy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    After a great deal of low to medium gain pedals I’ve had a V2 Timmy is fantastic.
    Also a MP Sweet Honey OD deluxe is very good but the Timmy has that 10% more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    Yorkie said:
    The Sweet Honey Overdrive circuit is a cool one. 
    Maybe, but it's annoying how people abbreviate it to SHO, thereby confusing it with the Zvex SHO boost. Something to consider anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    edited June 2023
    Tim, Timmy, Rat (or lil Rat) and Jetter GS 124. I've tried and really enjoyed others but was slightly underwhelmed by the KTR, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and Liquid Sunshine pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    I really like the Hudson Broadcast as a low gainer.  
  • Jazzy_JakeJazzy_Jake Frets: 108
    BJFE Baby Blue OD - genuinely one of the only ODs I have ever used that actually sounds very different from most others (to my ears anyway).

The One Control version is easily available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2142
    I've got probably three or four times as many drive Pedals as any other type.

My favourites of my current ones would be:

Vemuram Jan Ray
    Vemuram Shanks ODS-1
    1981 Drv
    Mesa V Twin V2 (some really great low gain sounds in it)
    Demon Pedals Shifuku Kondo(D Style amp-in-a-box)
    JRAD Archer (prefer the silver for Boost, gold for gainer stuff)
    Duellist V2

I love threads like this, my wish list grows exponentially after reading them.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I don't like ultra clean sounds so I have a Caline Pure Sky pedal permanently on .... this is a Timmy clone and cost about £26. I got it from someone on here and what a great buy it was. 
    Someone lent me an MXR Timmy and I tried both ... the MXR isn't any better in MHO 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Liquid Sunshine was my favourite by some margin. I've only had the original version though, Nd ice heard that the later ones aren't the same.

The Zoom Power Drive has a good reputation but felt a bit flat to me. I should probably sell mine claiming it's really upsetting to be moving it on but blah blah. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited June 2023
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the Keeley Red Dirt. Whatever setting it's on it just makes everything sound better. There are no stupid extremes that you are never going to use like you have on most pedals. Nothing worse than overdone effects. Less is often more. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Kingsley Page- daylight- the rest.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I tend to cycle back and forward between the Empress Distortion and the Hamstead Comet
  • thefezthefez Frets: 122
    Peacekeeper for sure. Fantastic job by Thorpy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Gassage said:
    One day I’ll try one - never heard a bad word 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Kermon Ridge, ridiculously good 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    edited June 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    I don't like ultra clean sounds so I have a Caline Pure Sky pedal permanently on .... this is a Timmy clone and cost about £26. I got it from someone on here and what a great buy it was. 
    Someone lent me an MXR Timmy and I tried both ... the MXR isn't any better in MHO 
    How do you have yours set @Danny1969 ? I’ve just got one, and not had much time with it, but I’ve got this constant ‘fizzyness’ at most settings going into my TMTR. I ‘think’ it’s better into a slightly pushed amp rather than a clean pedal platform, which is how I’m using my Twin, so maybe I’ll try and push it a bit more
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Danny1969 said:
    How do you have yours set @Danny1969 ? I’ve just got one, and not had much time with it, but I’ve got this constant ‘fizzyness’ at most settings going into my TMTR. I ‘think’ it’s better into a slightly pushed amp rather than a clean pedal platform, which is how I’m using my Twin, so maybe I’ll try and push it a bit more
    A lot of pedals are totally different in how they sound into different amps. I'm using mine into the clean channel of a Fender Hot Rod for gigs. I have the volume and tone on unity with the bypassed sound but the gain set enough to even out my ham fisted clean playing in terms of dynamics. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    sweepy said:
    Kermon Ridge, ridiculously good 
    Isn’t that a Clint Eastwood film?  
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1602
    Gassage said:
    This. Although the Minstrel V3 covers the Page territory too.

The Peacekeeper and the Tim were the best of the gazillion low-gainers I had before that. 

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    A lot of pedals are totally different in how they sound into different amps. I'm using mine into the clean channel of a Fender Hot Rod for gigs. I have the volume and tone on unity with the bypassed sound but the gain set enough to even out my ham fisted clean playing in terms of dynamics. 
    Cheers Danny, I’ll give that a try
  • selexisselexis Frets: 49
    I've also tried dozens of pedals over the years but I keep coming back to the Crowther Hot Cake. I owned several incarnations of that one and are currently playing a double Hot Cake. Kind of strange no one mentioned it yet.
    Others I tried and really like:

Electronic Audio Experiments - Halberd
    Barber - Ltd.
    Okko -  Twin Sonic (the old one, even though Mk2 is great as well)
    SS/BS - Mini (one of the best pedals ever made, I use it mainly with a little more gain)
    Analogman - King of tone
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1003
    edited June 2023
    When it comes to BB style pedals (my favourite) I currently possess, in order of my preference 

Prince of Tone (clean, clear, fabulous). 

Marshall BB reissue (just what you’d expect!). 

Browne Carbon (on some days, depending on my hormones or something, this is the best of the lot - really crisp). 

Mooer Blues Crabb (if the above didn’t exist I’d still be very happy with this!). 

I had the Jackson Golden what’sitsname - great sounds, super programmable etc but I was intimidated by all that and the PoT probably sounds better! Got shot. 

King of Tone. Obviously sounds fantastic but in terms of my use I get just as much, of the same quality, from the Prince. Sold to a mate for a very reasonable price!

I ought to try the Duck of Tone (esp. as I have great affection for MXR pedals), but I can’t convince myself there’s any point! 
  • GazAusGazAus Frets: 6
    Another vote for Crowther Hotcake, have had my for 15yrs + and worked with all my amps easily. 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    Yeah I meant to say Hotcake a few days ago. Great at low to mid gain and NOT just for Vox amps.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    They all sound pretty much the same after a while so just pick one in your budget that looks cool.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    GazAus said:
    Another vote for Crowther Hotcake, have had my for 15yrs + and worked with all my amps easily. 
    I loved mine but it was too bassy ......(which is why it sounds so good with a Vox )
  • MCluerMCluer Frets: 27
    You can’t go wrong with a Lightspeed. I also have a Decibelics Golden Royale which, to my ears sounds incredible. 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
    When it comes to BB style pedals (my favourite) I currently possess, in order of my preference 

I ought to try the Duck of Tone (esp. as I have great affection for MXR pedals), but I can’t convince myself there’s any point! 
    Exceptional for that in-between Strat ‘quack’ I assume?  =)
    Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    MCluer said:
    You can’t go wrong with a Lightspeed. I also have a Decibelics Golden Royale which, to my ears sounds incredible. 
    I have to agree about the Lightspeed. It seems to deliberately sacrifice being able to make all kinds of different sounds in favour of a “fonz” approach of just sounding ace.

I’ve fallen in to the trap of A/Bing it and thinking ‘oh it doesn’t have enough bottom’ or ‘that other one has a more pleasing gentle mid bump’ or some such but then 10 mins later I realise I’ve just been playing away with the Lightspeed and really enjoying it. Great pedal. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    But there’s actually one that is even more “fonz” (as in, just sounds amazing and I never mess around tweaking I just play” and that is Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive*

it’s definitely a very similar kind of thing (sound wise) to the Timmy but it is like the Lightspeed in that it just sounds right at all kinds of settings.

You know that thing where a drive pedal can sound a bit like a drive and a clean sound at once? This is the most opposite of that - which I know is an odd description but it’s just how it seems. 

* I don’t actually have the MPRBO I have the MP Supreme - the left side of it is apparently the Royal Blue but I can’t guarantee that it’s completely identical