Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stripping an Epi LP is not for the faint-hearted! Headstock going to get the chop too... - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stripping an Epi LP is not for the faint-hearted! Headstock going to get the chop too...

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited June 2023
    I was going to suggest just putting a light satin matt effect on it. I copied a guy on another forum or somewhere that did it on an epiphone lp with a sander and scotchbrite pads and stuff. Makes gloopy lacquer look much more classy.

Too late, but it's looking good now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Makes you wonder why Epiphone bothers veneering the back.
    It will vary depending on the individual pieces of wood. Some will be fine like this, others will be badly mismatched or with knots or other flaws, so on a production line they just cover them all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    That's a good result - congrats @lovestrat74 - all that work was worthwhile!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    @lovestrat74  show us the front too ?

I must admit I couldn’t initially fathom why on Earth you were doing this, but that really does look good at the end - well done
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    That looks amazing. Solid effort
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    sev112 said:

I must admit I couldn’t initially fathom why on Earth you were doing this, but that really does look good at the end - well done
    All I've done on the top is to dull down the finish. Not sure what to expect on the top. If I knew it would be like the back then I'd definitely strip it. 

For now I just want to put it back together and play it. I haven't done the headstock yet either  :open_mouth: 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Top work! Looks great.
    Not sure if the Bigsby stays, but looks pretty good :D ...

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Looks great as is @lovestrat74. I am a Bigsby fan needless to say

How did you dull the top? I have a D'Angelico semi hollow that is perfect other than being a shade too shiny
    roberty said:

How did you dull the top? I have a D'Angelico semi hollow that is perfect other than being a shade too shiny
    0000 grade steel wool
    roberty said:

0000 grade steel wool
    Cool ta. I will put that on the long list
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    RickLucas said:
    Sounds like good stuff!

INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY

Paramose Range of Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride, DCM) Paint Removers In accordance with European Regulations 455/2009/EC. This product containing Dichloromethane is ILLEGAL TO USE OUTSIDE THE WORKSHOP. We are NOT under any circumstances selling this product for general consumer use. IT IS AN OFFENCE TO SUPPLY THIS PRODUCT TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. Tradesmen / Professionals are still able to purchase this product providing it is used in a suitable Industrial/Workshop Environment.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    roberty said:
    RickLucas said:
    Sounds like good stuff!

INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY

Paramose Range of Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride, DCM) Paint Removers In accordance with European Regulations 455/2009/EC. This product containing Dichloromethane is ILLEGAL TO USE OUTSIDE THE WORKSHOP. We are NOT under any circumstances selling this product for general consumer use. IT IS AN OFFENCE TO SUPPLY THIS PRODUCT TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. Tradesmen / Professionals are still able to purchase this product providing it is used in a suitable Industrial/Workshop Environment.

It is, its brilliant stuff... but yes, its *nasty*. It takes 50 year old paint off cars very quickly. So I'm told, natch... ;-) So I'd imagine it would strip guitar paint off pretty swiftly too...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    sev112 said:

I thought the same thing, why not buy a guitar kit, build and finish it as you wish. But congratulations on your result. Now go and play it and enjoy your handiwork......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    sev112 said:

I thought the same thing, why not buy a guitar kit, build and finish it as you wish. But congratulations on your result. Now go and play it and enjoy your handiwork......
    I wasn't looking for this guitar - or another project! It came to me by the way of a trade for an acoustic that I was not playing.

I thought it played great for a "cheap" guitar so I took up the offer. Sometimes guitars find you ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    That looks great and well worth your effort.  Here's to the next one  :)

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    roberty said:

0000 grade steel wool
    Looks great, if you want a bit of shine back but still dulled compared to the plasticky poly look try t cut then car polish, that’s what I did to that red 335. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Not sure if the Bigsby stays, but looks pretty good :D ...

Looking great. Did you match the shed door stain too  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    munckee said:
    roberty said:

0000 grade steel wool
    Looks great, if you want a bit of shine back but still dulled compared to the plasticky poly look try t cut then car polish, that’s what I did to that red 335. 
    Do you have photos? I would like to maybe dull this one a little

Did you take the electronics out or just work around it?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    edited June 2023
    @roberty here are a couple, bearing in mind though this was a £100 harley benton so I had no concerns if I ruined the finish.  There is a Nathan Sink video on youtube about the process with scourers, t cut and then polish which I broadly followed.

https://i.imgur.com/YbzJThh.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/sSpTa7o.jpg

\I don't have a before photo but it was really shiny and plasticky looking.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    Thank you @munckee and sorry @lovestrat74 for the thread hijack 

That looks great too
    I was only going to restring it...

But the faux gold had to go...
    Then the pathetic maple veneer...

Now left with 300 piece top... not sure if I can pull this one off. Think I quite like it though. Few coats of oil and some nice rich wax and it "might" look okay :lol:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ooh look at that. Whatcha gonna do?
    roberty said:
    I am getting used to it. Nice and shonky! Going to oil it up and wax it to bring out all the imperfections!
    roberty said:
    I am getting used to it. Nice and shonky! Going to oil it up and wax it to bring out all the imperfections!
    Ah gotcha. That'll be cool, loads of character 
  • If all else fails, Blacktop!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    If all else fails, Blacktop!
    Yeah was thinking that or oxblood, but I'll give it a couple of coats of oil first to see how it comes out.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Oxblood, always oxblood. ;)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Oxblood will go great with the color of the sides and back    Nice work - real labour of love this one.