Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stripping an Epi LP is not for the faint-hearted! Headstock going to get the chop too... - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stripping an Epi LP is not for the faint-hearted! Headstock going to get the chop too...

What's Hot
So I thought I'd strip the "paint" off my newly acquired LP and boy did they lay it on thick!!

Last night I thought I'd got the neck done but wasn't until this morning that I realised the darker mahogany was not the bare wood... So I persevered a little more and finally got to the bottom - so to speak!

This was all done by hand sanding as there isn't any other way to do the neck - right?

For the back of the body I think the heat gun is coming out! Unless anyone suggests a better way?? This is going to be a slog!

I am going to reshape the headstock too... Thinking something more classic like this - nicked off a @corvus thread...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    What are you wanting to achieve with the neck? A different profile (U to D or C) or just to have a different finish to the paint and lacquer that were there?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    For the headstock, it would be less work to reinstate the "missing" corners for (more or less) the classic Gibson shape.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Be careful with the veneer on the back, it’s probably very thin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Be careful with the veneer on the back, it’s probably very thin.
    I had that problem with a cheap acoustic I sanded the varnish off. The nice-looking top layer of the laminate sides was about an atom thick and ended up looking a mess even though I was trying to be really careful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Have you not got a tv? : )
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Whistler said:
    What are you wanting to achieve with the neck? A different profile (U to D or C) or just to have a different finish to the paint and lacquer that were there?
     The profile is a the perfect C for me, I just want to oil/wax it as I prefer the feel.
    Be careful with the veneer on the back, it’s probably very thin.
    I didn't think of that. So do you reckon the back of the body is veneer?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at the endgrain of the body James, praps with a strong light - chances are you'll see multi pieces there, with the back being veneered.
    Corvus said:
    Have a look at the endgrain of the body James, praps with a strong light - chances are you'll see multi pieces there, with the back being veneered.
    Cheers Bill I'll take a look :+1:
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    I'm sure Bill and thermionic are correct. Heat will lift the veneer the only way to strip is sanding unfortunately
    I'm sure Bill and thermionic are correct. Heat will lift the veneer the only way to strip is sanding unfortunately
    At least the back is flat :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    What's your goal for the finish?

I wouldn't bother trying to get it back to wood on this.   Either go down to the sealer coat, or do a solid overspray on the existing finish.
    WezV said:
    What's your goal for the finish?

I wouldn't bother trying to get it back to wood on this.   Either go down to the sealer coat, or do a solid overspray on the existing finish.

Yeah I think taking the top coat off and giving is a solid overspray might be the way forward. I was going to strip it right back and oil it, but I think it'll be touch and go with the veneer. Although I am not bothered about the veneer if it turns out that there's only a few pieces underneath. It is under 8lbs if that is anything to go by.

The top is a glossy gloopy gold top, so maybe again, just take off the top coat and overspray it. I hate poly!

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    I had a 1960 Tribute Epi LP for a few years - they veneer the backs as well as the tops. This was incidentally a premium model in comparison to the standard LPs of the time. I don’t think I have the photo any more but I once identified the edges of the blocks by looking at the end grain, marked them with small pieces of tape, took a photo, and drew straight lines (digitally) joining them. The body on mine was five pieces I think but the seams were at quite an angle to the main axis of the guitar (not along the length of the neck at all).

The recent 1959 Epi LP and its Bonamassa variants are notable in that they have a two-piece body with a centre seam.
    Stripped the back edge last night and it is a nice even 3 piece body so I think I am going to lift the veneer and hope for the best..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Brave man! 
    Brave man! 
    Got the package in the post today. Thanks @SteveRobinson :+1:
    No going back now  :o

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Eek! Actually, looking at the wood you've exposed so far makes you wonder why they bothered with the veneer in the first place - I hope the rest of it is equally pleasant-looking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Eek! Actually, looking at the wood you've exposed so far makes you wonder why they bothered with the veneer in the first place - I hope the rest of it is equally pleasant-looking.
    Think I lucked out a bit @DartmoorHedgehog - you can see one of the seams on the left but the other one is pretty much invisible. 

The back came off nice and easy with a heat gun but the sides... Bloody hell they are hard work! The top coat of paint is fine it's just the stuff underneath (sealer??). Taking it a bit at a time, but I am super impatient to get it done and put back together!

I could feel it was a good one - these '56 Epis are well received online - nice and light and should be even lighter when I am done :D

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That looks really good. The problem I had with the acoustic I stripped is that the sides were ply and only the thin top layer was nice-looking wood. So by the time I'd sanded the finish off it was exposing the tatty layer of the ply.  That LP actually looks really nice - presumably not all the wood they use looks like that or they could save themselves some money by leaving off the veneer.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

Brave! But the right decision. You may now have to deepen the cover plate routs slightly, but you can probably do it by scraping with a chisel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:

Brave! But the right decision. You may now have to deepen the cover plate routs slightly, but you can probably do it by scraping with a chisel.
    Yeah was thinking that..  the veneer was thicker than I thought. But the cover plates are pretty flimsy so might get away with it.
    If in doubt...  get the rolling pin out!

Man that was a slog. I do not recommend doing this to anyone. That bottom coat, whatever it is, is a total pig to get off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited June 2023
    When I saw your last post I thought, 'I wish you good luck with that top horn'. A real git to sand!
    Not looking too shabby...

0reaction image LOL 20reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    Not too shabby at all
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Wow, not too shabby at all!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Makes you wonder why Epiphone bothers veneering the back. The idea is to hide the glue lines between the body sections BUT, then, the edge of the veneer shows around the perimeter of the body. The Korina Explorer and recent SGs are especially prone to this.

If the back of the OP's guitar were refinished in a translucent dark brown, the glue lines would be near-as-damn-it invisible.
    Be seeing you.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    I wonder if the veneer speeds up finishing as well as hiding seems reduces sanding time grain filling etc 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter