Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Why do all acoustics sound better with a capo? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Why do all acoustics sound better with a capo?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    crunchman said:
    bertie said:
    ICBM said:
    guitarjack66 said:

I find barres a heck of a lot easier on electrics. I am guessing this is why a fair few players begin with electrics rather than acoustics? It does seem more practical if you are a youngster or have some restrictions physically. I started on acoustic because I felt that if I could get to grips with an acoustic then I could play any conventional guitar. In hindsight I think I was correct but I can see why many impatient youngsters and people in general would not. I think a capo is a good way of bridging that 'an acoustic is too hard' gap.
    Agreed.
    I struggle with "E" barre chords even on electrics,  my index finger just doesn't "work" right, never had  - so I 99% of the time use a thumb over "F"  barre,   which makes playing status quo stuff "challenging"
    My fingers are too short to do the thumb over thing.  It's really frustrating at times.  I'd love to be able to put an F# bass in a D chord.
    Mine too,but it makes no odds if you understand the caged system and use partial chords. It also aids string targeting,which I think is a very handy skill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    crunchman said:
    My fingers are too short to do the thumb over thing.  It's really frustrating at times.  I'd love to be able to put an F# bass in a D chord.
    mine are far from large, and me fingers are shorter than my "hand",  I can only stretch 3 frets - from the 1st on anything but the top E string, and even that is a struggle to get to the 5th

my index finger isnt "fleshy"  enough to always successfully press E B and E for a barre, so got used to using the F shape with thumb since I started.  I probably have bad "positioning"  which helps  =) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    edited June 2023
    crunchman said:
    I always struggled with throwing a thumb over the top...so had to go for a voicing of 2-x-0-2-3-2 (with fingers 1-x-0-2-4-3)

That quickly became a voicing without the top major third which is a nice moveable shape, for example...
    E/G# voicing of 4-x-2-4-5-x (with fingers 2-x-1-3-4-x)

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Probably as they’re easier to play  as the action is lower 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    Back in the 70s I remember seeing Richie Havens on Old Grey Whistle Test, using his long prehensile thumb over the bass strings. I was very impressed.
    Never been able to manage it myself.  :#

When starting out I reckoned if I could play the full barre chord it didn't matter which strings I clouted with the pick!
    Found as a consequence barre E & A shapes are not a bother.
    Only more recently found that chord inversions and power chords are useful, especially when fingerpicking.

• JMS96JMS96 Frets: 99
    We’re four pages in and I think there’s been a bit of drift on this subject. But to go back to the OP point - I play mostly fingerpicking and on both my Martin and Gibson acoustics (and others I have played) I prefer the sound of the guitar with a capo on (irrespective of the utility of the capo which is another point). Not so much if I am strumming them, and I don’t get this on electrics.