Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Why do all acoustics sound better with a capo? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Why do all acoustics sound better with a capo?

What's Hot
Every acoustic I've ever owned sounded miles better with a capo, no matter which fret. Is it just my perception? Maybe just my playing style. Maybe it's the tension. Maybe the fretwire resonates better than the nut. Is it just me?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited June 2023
    It's not just you, I've found the same. I usually tune down a semitone then capo on first fret. I don't really know why
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328
    We’re all different with different ways of perceiving the world, different preferences etc.  So my first instinct was to say it’s just you.  On the other hand there are variables you haven’t laid out, such as- what we’re all these acoustic guitars that you tried?
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I’ve never really thought about it although can see what you mean now it’s been mentioned. The closest I’ve gotten to this was liking the sound of my 12 string tunes down a full step and then capo’d at the 2nd fret. Primarily for easier playing but the was a definite sound difference. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Different? Yes. Better? No.

There are many people, including ones I respect a great deal, who say that a zero fret makes no difference to the sound, but I don't agree. I have always liked zero frets. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Mine sound worse capoed 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Mine sound worse capoed 
    I agree, it depends on the guitar.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited June 2023
    if it sounds "better"  (more zingy / defined?)  Id hazard a guess that its the nut  - IME, way back when -   my cheaper guitars did sound better capo'd  - now Ive "better" ones - with "better" nuts - there's really not a lot of difference.

Some "tunes" sound better capo'd  - especially quite high up -   7th and upwards

Be interesting to see how the ones with zero frets  fare 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 213
    bertie said:
    if it sounds "better"  (more zingy / defined?)  Id hazard a guess that its the nut  - IME, way back when -   my cheaper guitars did sound better capo'd  - now Ive "better" ones - with "better" nuts - there's really not a lot of difference.

Maybe Bertie has the answer - a better guitar?
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Mine definitely sounds different when capoed and I prefer the sound without one but does that make it intrinsically better?

I agree with @bertie that some tunes do sound better with a capo. 
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 124
    I always felt that my guitars sounded a little more harp like with a capo, if that makes any sense?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yes that’s a good analogy, for me at least. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    I've always felt acoustics sounded much worse with a capo. They certainly feel worse to play. It's less noticable on the cheaper ones I've played, but on "nice" ones the capo takes away a lot of the warmth, resonance, richness and fullness of the sound. For me. Everything becomes much more plinky-plonk.

Doesn't stop me using a capo to get an effect, or to put a piece into an appropriate key for my singing voice where straight chordal transposition doesn't cut it, but it always feels like an unwelcome compromise.
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 58
    Snags said:
    I've always felt acoustics sounded much worse with a capo. They certainly feel worse to play. It's less noticable on the cheaper ones I've played, but on "nice" ones the capo takes away a lot of the warmth, resonance, richness and fullness of the sound. For me. Everything becomes much more plinky-plonk.

Doesn't stop me using a capo to get an effect, or to put a piece into an appropriate key for my singing voice where straight chordal transposition doesn't cut it, but it always feels like an unwelcome compromise.
    I'd agree with most of this. If I'm playing a song where I don't want the open strings to ring as much I'll use a capo which in itself indicates that the guitar doesn't sound as resonant. I don't think they feel worse to play though, easier if anything as the stretches are shorter.
    I have never got the habit of using a capo. I have one, of course, but I doubt I've used it this year. About once in 12 months I put it on a guitar and play for a few minutes on (say) the 2nd fret, but it doesn't seem quite right so I try the 4th fret, and three or four other places, each one lasting for a shorter time until I take it off and chuck it in a drawer again until next year.

I like the low notes. I seldom go very far up the neck (rarely past the 7th fret) and don't use the plain strings much (most of my notes are on the EAD & D strings) with the B and high E only used for harmony and occasional decoration and I love playing my baritone. (Would you believe I'm an ex-bass player? How did you guess?) 

Now if there was a reverse capo, something you could clip on to the -3rd fret to take a standard guitar down to C# .... I'd be all over it like a rash.

• camfcamf Frets: 1175
    I use a capo quite a bit. I find it’s a real help when singing and playing as I can easily drop the key if I want to sing quieter. As my main focus is usually on singing, having more familiar chord shapes to play with a capo on makes things easier, for me at least. Tonally, I don’t really find it better or worse, just different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    With a capo in position, the next fret becomes a zero fret. Maybe that is the reason your guitar sounds better????
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 293
    a couple of things .. it alters the scale length so the frets are closer together changing the way root position chords feel slightly and it is the lowest action you are going to get at the nut end as the capoed fret does become a zero fret and that will also alter the way you play as fingering has to be more precise to avoid slight deviations in pitch. I find it odd when I see acoustic guitar instrumentalists using one on the first fret because surely it's just better to have the nut cut suitably to provide the action required 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    DavidRees said:

I find it odd when I see acoustic guitar instrumentalists using one on the first fret because surely it's just better to have the nut cut suitably to provide the action required 
    No, because it's not the same key, it's a semitone higher.

I find them very useful for changing the key of the song to fit a singer, or to use different inversions of chords when playing with another guitarist so it doesn't all sound too samey (or the opposite, I play without a capo when they're using one), and it does sound different - but not better or worse, and even if it was then the musical context is more important, so I wouldn't let the 'tone' dictate if I use one or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I'm not sure "all" acoustic guitars sound better when capo'd up. It would take a LOT of work to prove it

=) 

;) 
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 293
    edited June 2023
    ICBM said:
    DavidRees said:

I find it odd when I see acoustic guitar instrumentalists using one on the first fret because surely it's just better to have the nut cut suitably to provide the action required 
    No, because it's not the same key, it's a semitone higher.

I find them very useful for changing the key of the song to fit a singer, or to use different inversions of chords when playing with another guitarist so it doesn't all sound too samey (or the opposite, I play without a capo when they're using one), and it does sound different - but not better or worse, and even if it was then the musical context is more important, so I wouldn't let the 'tone' dictate if I use one or not.
    Hi ICBM, I understand the whole thing about adjusting the key to suit the vocal and use mine for that very purpose but still don't get why one would be used for instrumentals when surely the key doesn't really matter
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    Mellish said:
    I'm not sure "all" acoustic guitars sound better when capo'd up. It would take a LOT of work to prove it

OK. I'm up for the job. Send me all of your guitars and I will try them out one by one. 

No, no, don't thank me. Happy to help.

(If you would like an expert opinion on other things as well, please feel free to send me your favourite scotch, brandy, and gin. Also cheeses. And sports cars. Not to mention luxury yachts. All part of the service.) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited June 2023
    I'm only allowed one.... 

But I'll sell it to you if that helps your...experiment.

DavidRees said:
    Hi ICBM, I understand the whole thing about adjusting the key to suit the vocal and use mine for that very purpose but still don't get why one would be used for instrumentals when surely the key doesn't really matter
      just at the first fret, Id agree,  but some fingerings I just find impossible to do unless its capo'd  2 or above.  Also, as I mentioned previously,  some choons just sound different/better.   The Marcel Dadi - Dervish   for starters sound much much better capo'd at the 4th or even as high as 7th
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    BahHumbug said:
    We’re all different with different ways of perceiving the world, different preferences etc.  So my first instinct was to say it’s just you.  On the other hand there are variables you haven’t laid out, such as- what we’re all these acoustic guitars that you tried?
    My main one at the moment is a blue ridge BR163. A 000 solid rosewood Martin style guitar 
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    bertie said:

Maybe Bertie has the answer - a better guitar?
    The Blue ridge I have is pretty good. Solid rosewood 000 with a bone nut
    DavidRees said:

I really only play fingerstyle instrumentals and some tunes I thing sound better with a capo. 

And, no, I can’t just transpose it and play without a capo because I’m not a good enough player. Plus some of the tunes rely on open strings ringing or hammer-ons etc. which won’t work if you simply transpose. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    edited June 2023
    I use my mine to play Wonderwall…  B)
    drofluf said:
    DavidRees said:

I really only play fingerstyle instrumentals and some tunes I thing sound better with a capo. 

And, no, I can’t just transpose it and play without a capo because I’m not a good enough player. Plus some of the tunes rely on open strings ringing or hammer-ons etc. which won’t work if you simply transpose. 
    its not only that, but some choons - particularly rag style / claw  - rely on the chord shapes to keep the bass lines in rhythm  - they often just don't work using alternate shapes 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I usually put one on and think 'ooh that sounds nicer' , play for a bit, then when I take it off again I think 'actually that sounds better'.

I think it's just different, a change often sounds better, until you get used to it. 
    regardless of the physical playing aspects  -  its just some choons/pieces  sound better capo'd  some dont, and sound much better on "open" strings.   -

That pretty much sums it up TBH