Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Noel G Album - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Noel G Album

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    edited June 2023
    I too am giving this a shot after the TPS interview.

Been thinking about Oasis as well and realising more now just how good they were for the first two albums at least. I was early teens during the Mid 90s and clearly remember you had to make a choice: Oasis or Blur.Not allowed both.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 47
    This Later…. track is excellent - also cool that he shares the backing singers with Gaz Coombes
    https://youtu.be/avxoL6gCaWs

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    I think the album is ok. There is clearly obviously great craft in the songs but they just leave me bit cold. 

Compare his songwriting and singing to his big mate Weller - no comparison with the passion of the songs and the strength of Weller's voice. 

Enjoying all the Noel interviews though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    LPManic said:
    I think the album is ok. There is clearly obviously great craft in the songs but they just leave me bit cold. 

Compare his songwriting and singing to his big mate Weller - no comparison with the passion of the songs and the strength of Weller's voice. 

Compare what Noel to what Weller?

Are you saying the new Noel G album isn't as good as peak Weller (the best Jam songs, IMHO some of his best solo songs) or the stuff he has been padding his albums out with for the last decade?

I mean I like "From the Floorboards Up" as much as the next guy, and taste is obviously a matter of opinion, but I'd put Noels output for the last decade way over Weller's.

Now BOTH at their peak, that's quite another thing, but if we assume Noel's peak is the first two Oasis albums, and Weller's the best Jam stuff - I'd personally pick Noel as I grew up in the late 90s - but the world would be a poorer place without either.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    darthed1981 said:
    I think the reason is exactly the same as for the other bands (Suede did the same thing) - nobody around had the sense to say "fuck no, save that for the next album - that's a fucking single!".
    Sci-Fi Lullabies ftw!

Easiest wis click of all time! :)
    Not heard this in years, I think the loft is calling me (I did rip it somewhere) 

I saw Suede in Cambridge a couple of months back, brilliant, new album is a stonker, and they are an incredibly tight live band these days.

Brett did famous B-side "My Insatiable One" for the hardcore fans at the front (the insatiable ones are a hardcore fan group on Facebook I'm happy to be a member of - though I was up in the seats) and my wife told me off for singing along to the falsetto bits.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    darthed1981 said:
    I think the reason is exactly the same as for the other bands (Suede did the same thing) - nobody around had the sense to say "fuck no, save that for the next album - that's a fucking single!".
    Sci-Fi Lullabies ftw!

Easiest wis click of all time! :)
    Not heard this in years, I think the loft is calling me (I did rip it somewhere) 

I saw Suede in Cambridge a couple of months back, brilliant, new album is a stonker, and they are an incredibly tight live band these days.

Brett did famous B-side "My Insatiable One" for the hardcore fans at the front (the insatiable ones are a hardcore fan group on Facebook I'm happy to be a member of - though I was up in the seats) and my wife told me off for singing along to the falsetto bits.
    Now THAT is a tuuuuuune.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    While not an Oasis fan , I always liked Columbia. Basic as feck but like it.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 954
    LPManic said:

Compare what Noel to what Weller?

Are you saying the new Noel G album isn't as good as peak Weller (the best Jam songs, IMHO some of his best solo songs) or the stuff he has been padding his albums out with for the last decade?

I mean I like "From the Floorboards Up" as much as the next guy, and taste is obviously a matter of opinion, but I'd put Noels output for the last decade way over Weller's.

Now BOTH at their peak, that's quite another thing, but if we assume Noel's peak is the first two Oasis albums, and Weller's the best Jam stuff - I'd personally pick Noel as I grew up in the late 90s - but the world would be a poorer place without either.
    I am big fan of the Jam, but you are right, his output in the last few years has been pretty dismal. I am not why he has to pick on Robert Smith , maybe he is jealous? You don't have to b a Goth to appreciate the Cure !
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ALRALR Frets: 75
    Re. Weller: don’t like to be negative but as a casual fan of his 90s output I thought I’d have a listen to his album Fat Pop when it came out. It was utter dirge, especially the title track which was totally embarrassing to listen to. I didn’t find a moment in the whole album that made me want to give it a second listen. I’d be very interested to hear from anyone who did like it and could tell me what I was missing!
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3162
    Weller was a genius...Noel has never been one
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Weller was a genius...Noel has never been one
    Weller was/is not a genius. He’s a songwriter. 

Noel was/is not a genius. He’s a songwriter. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Rock & Roll Star, Live Forever, Cigarettes & Alcohol (especially live), Columbia, Don't Look Back in Anger, Some Might Say, Champagne Supernova, The Masterplan, Step Out, Acquiesce, 

Just those alone put him in the absolute top tier of 90s songwriters. I find it hilarious that people are still trying to argue otherwise after all this time
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    @stickyfiddle You forgot Bonehead’s Bank Holiday
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    LPManic said:
    @stickyfiddle You forgot Bonehead’s Bank Holiday
    Honestly I could've added another 6+ B-sides. Talk Tonight, Stay Young, Headshrinker, As Long As They've Got Cigarettes in Hell sprung immediately to mind.

also Let There Be Love from Don't Believe the Truth
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires