Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Noel G Album - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Noel G Album

What's Hot

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    Strat54 said:
    Mange to play most of the album on the way to work, like Easy now (I think), not many Guitar Solo's on this album, can't remember if there are any on his last album ??
    Having watched that TPS video intro he still struggles to pick a chord without staring down at his right hand like he's just been handed Burt Weedon's Play In A Day book.
    Thats his technique. Hes a decent guitarist whether people like it or not. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Thats his technique. Hes a decent guitarist whether people like it or not. 
    I'm not 100% that Oasis would have worked with a classical guitarist playing on their records in any case.

Guitarists often remind me of 16th century politics... "You played a full barre chord and not an inversion... BURN HIM!!!"
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    It’s growing on me. I’d only listen to bits when I’ve walked to the shop etc but now I’ve had it on a few times while working I’m getting into it.

Really looking forward to the TPS episode too, I don’t care if he looks at his guitar. I would if I owned that 355!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Strat54 said:
    Mange to play most of the album on the way to work, like Easy now (I think), not many Guitar Solo's on this album, can't remember if there are any on his last album ??
    Having watched that TPS video intro he still struggles to pick a chord without staring down at his right hand like he's just been handed Burt Weedon's Play In A Day book.

Granted it’s not an Asus2 like in the video, but look! He can play without looking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think we now need to be asking ourselves...

"Would Noel Gallagher have more respect in the industry if he'd bought Greeny..."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    edited June 2023
    I enjoy the irony that Noel will now have 11 No.1 albums in a row but really as the new album shows both THFB and Oasis were really singles bands.
    LPManic said:
    I enjoy the irony that Noel will now have 11 No.1 albums in a row but really as the new album shows both THFB and Oasis were really singles bands.
    Been a long while since I've seen a post I've disagreed with quite as much!

Especially as Oasis have album tracks and even B sides you hear as often as many of their singles... and quite right to as they are much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Definitely a different vibe to it, bit mellower, more melodic than WBTM. Hear more of his Burt Bacharach influence on this one. 
    There She Blows wouldn’t sound out of place on Rubber Soul. Get There In The End is brilliant. 
    Seeing him in Saffron Walden in august, hope he’s bringing a string and brass section! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    If you can make good sounding records you're a good guitarist. It's not really a skill that translates to Instagram 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819

Strat54 said:

Granted it’s not an Asus2 like in the video, but look! He can play without looking!

He's got a bit of the trump hands. 
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 954
    Oh Fuck ! That Pedal Show ! 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    Strat54 said:
    It’s a lot easier to play your songs with a band in front of a large, paying audience of fans, I expect, than in front of two people - who you know happen to be more technically proficient AND more knowledgeable about guitars and guitar playing than you - and a camera.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 445
    Am liking this album a lot after a couple of listen throughs. There are a couple of standout tracks to me but it is all solid stuff. I'd go with this over the new FF album. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Strat54 said:
    It’s a lot easier to play your songs with a band in front of a large, paying audience of fans, I expect, than in front of two people - who you know happen to be more technically proficient AND more knowledgeable about guitars and guitar playing than you - and a camera.

Yeah after a certain number it becomes one crowd and then it's much easier
    Right back to NG, what's your favourite song?, mine has to be the masterplan
    “Ken sent me.”
    I really like There She Blows off the new album 

Very solid choice.

I'd have to say, as obvious as it is, either DLBIA, Live Forever, Slide Away or Champagne Supernova, all just fantastic examples of melodic, life-affirming songwriting, brilliantly put down on record.

Now if we are looking at deeper cuts, Masterplan, Talk Tonight and Acquiesce are brilliant, and highlights of B-sides album "The Masterplan"... you also have "Stay Young"... "Round Are Way"...there are brilliant Oasis B-sides throughout the catalogue (I still have all their CD singles under my desk :) )

TBH, I consider DM and WTS? to be masterpieces, and Be Here Now has brilliant songs (albeit hideously over-produced cos of all the cocaine, Noel is hilarious when talking about it). 

As a "coming down" album, SOTSOG has some weak efforts ("I Can See a Liar") but also has forgotten classics like "Roll it Over" and "Gas Panic!"

Then you get to Oasis Mk2... who, weren't as good, and had too many songs Noel didn't write, and none were ever as good as Noel's stuff!

I remember first hearing randomly "Hindu Times" on the radio without introduction and thinking "Well that's Oasis, can't be anything else" and I still love that song, it swaggers along brilliantly... then you have "Stop Crying Your Heart Out", "Little By Little", "She Is Love" and "Better Man" (one of the first signs that with a bit of help from his team Liam would be able to kick out bangers) - and that's "Heathen Chemistry"

"Don't Believe The Truth" is probably my least favourite Oasis album, but it still has "Importance of Being Idle" and "Let There Be Love" on it.  The Last One "Dig Out Your Soul" is overall a fair bit better, but "Shock of the Lightning" and "Falling Down" stand out.

Noel's solo career was decent right off the block, and he was lucky he didn't have the disaster of "Beady Eye" hanging over his head like Liam did (they had a few OK songs, I know).

I would say his new one is the strongest of his solo records, and the first one the weakest.  Even the first one isn't bad though, "AKA What a Life?" is brilliant.

Fun fact.  For practical reasons I got shot of most of my 1500-2000 CDs shortly after moving to my current house as needed to make room for amongst other things, my son.  I'd always coveted the idea of a small vinyl collection and Noel's third solo album and Liam's first were what tipped me over the edge into starting one ... Oasis have always been a bad influence on me.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    I listened...the vocal melody reminded me of something...then I found this:
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/noel-gallagher-addresses-ricky-martin-comparisons-2164212

Is Noel trolling?
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/noel-gallagher-addresses-ricky-martin-comparisons-2164212

Is Noel trolling?

Noel doesn't mind a bit of "borrowing".

He once carved on the inside of one of his treasured Smith's 45s "Talent creates, genius steals..."

Is Noel trolling?

He once carved on the inside of one of his treasured Smith's 45s "Talent creates, genius steals..."
    I like the 'doubling-down on the same tune six years later' angle ;)

Is Noel trolling?

Actually, listening again, it's probably really a lift from The Beatles' 'If I Needed Someone'.

Is Noel trolling?

If you mean "Council Skies" borrowing from "Ballad of the Mighty I" - then yes ;)

Everyone does it though, it's just only Noel who gets called on it.

The number of bands whose whole career is based on tuning to drop D and then playing the D string like 0000005000000300005000003 etc etc - boring as fuck - but people love it!

Is Noel trolling?

If you mean "Council Skies" borrowing from "Ballad of the Mighty I" - then yes ;)
    I don't have much knowledge of Noel and HFB...I was a bit meh but, like many here, I've re-evaluated a bit based solely on the TPS episode...his 'stock' has definitely risen as a consequence.

Above, what I meant was he gets criticism as per the NME article in 2017...then, a couple of albums later, he thinks 'fk it, now I'll purposefully reference that track and see what happens' ;)
    digitalkettle said:
    Above, what I meant was he gets criticism as per the NME article in 2017...then, a couple of albums later, he thinks 'fk it, now I'll purposefully reference that track and see what happens' ;)
    Oh I'm sure he does that yes!

A lot of the time I think he just does what he does, knowing that even when the critics dislike it, he can still get thousands of people singing along to it.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    Most of DM is up there, but Live Forever tops the pile - typically great melody but, as was not always the case, a great, life-affirming lyric that meant something.

other faves:
    Talk Tonight, Acquiesce, Headshrinker, It’s Good To Be Free

I’m not the first to mention it - NG even mentioned it in the TGP episode - but how many great Oasis songs were seemingly tossed away as B-sides?  I always wondered if this was a nod to The Smiths and The Jam (two other bands whose B-sides often stood head-to-head with their A-sides.)

edited June 2023
    RocknRollDave said:
    I’m not the first to mention it - NG even mentioned it in the TGP episode - but how many great Oasis songs were seemingly tossed away as B-sides?  I always wondered if this was a nod to The Smiths and The Jam (two other bands whose B-sides often stood head-to-head with their A-sides.)
    I think the reason is exactly the same as for the other bands (Suede did the same thing) - nobody around had the sense to say "fuck no, save that for the next album - that's a fucking single!".

I think this is also behind a lot of between album singles, (that you could only get in the past by going and buying the single in HMV or Virgin, or by waiting for a best of) like "Flying" by Cast or "Marblehead Johnson" by the Bluetones... they recorded them in B-sides sessions and someone DID say "don't piss that one away..."

Edit: or pertinently... "Whatever" by Oasis!
    darthed1981 said:
    I think the reason is exactly the same as for the other bands (Suede did the same thing) - nobody around had the sense to say "fuck no, save that for the next album - that's a fucking single!".
    Sci-Fi Lullabies ftw!
    darthed1981 said:
    Sci-Fi Lullabies ftw!

Easiest wis click of all time! :)
    darthed1981 said:
    Sci-Fi Lullabies ftw!

Easiest wis click of all time! :)
    Not heard this in years, I think the loft is calling me (I did rip it somewhere) 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Apart from all the early stuff I'm very fond of Who Built The Moon's Black and White Sunshine. I listened to the album for about 3 months straight so I have a soft spot for all of it. This new one is worming it's way with me too.. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"