Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Noel G Album - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Noel G Album

What's Hot
guitartangoguitartango Frets: 954
edited June 2023 in Music
Or whatever you want to call it. Not a bad album with a nice remix by the king of Goth Mr Smith. 
Throw in Mind Games and a Live version of Live Forever on the second disc

Needs a second listen but not bad Mr G
“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    The BBC 2 thing today is worth a listen. The cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart is a bit meh but the version of Council Skies is arranged and produced perfectly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 954
    LPManic said:
    The BBC 2 thing today is worth a listen. The cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart is a bit meh but the version of Council Skies is arranged and produced perfectly.
    I have to catch that later on
    “Ken sent me.”
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Some of the best stuff Noel has written in years so far.

Although apparently recorded a couple of years ago "Dead to the World" feels like his classic divorce song, but there are no flies on "Easy Now" or "Pretty Boy" either.

Waiting for a triple-vinyl thingy off his website, which will no doubt be late, but that's what streaming is for of course...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Now on my second listen, enjoying it so far, hoping that the Chemical Essex boys will be just as good 
    “Ken sent me.”
    Sum of Noel G fans on the forum, three of us...

To be fair the album is officially out today, listening to it on Spotify now.
    It's very good - @guitartango ; perhaps change thread title to "New Noel G Album" or similar - I'm sure more than three of us want to talk about it :)
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I’ve not had a listen yet but I’ve been listing to tracks he’s released before today. I like The Reflex mix of Council Skies.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I was never an Oasis fan, although I did buy a copy of their biggest album from a charity shop. I always thought that Liam was a total knob, but I like Noel, he amuses me whenever he is giving opinions on stuff. 

Not heard his band at all but maybe I'll try and find somewhere I can hear it.
  • ALRALR Frets: 75
    Hopefully the LP will be coming to me today, and I also really hope that today will finally be the day the TPS interview with Noel is released!
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I haven’t listened yet. Will have a go in the next couple of days 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Have listened! Good record - easily his best solo, I think? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Who's playing scissors on this one?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Have listened! Good record - easily his best solo, I think? 

Yeah my first reaction was his best solo record.  I'd put his solo stuff above the last two Oasis albums as well.

Ironically as anthemic Oasis-style rock goes, only Noel and Liam seem to be in the contest to make it!!
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    I think it is his best solo album. But I’m not a massive Noel fan. I did think his first two were pretty boring. Last one was worth a listen though.

He really has managed his career incredibly well though. I would really love to know what he learned from his time with the Inspirals. He must have learned a shit load - probably about what not to do. But every decision he makes seems to be the right one.
    It's very good - @guitartango ; perhaps change thread title to "New Noel G Album" or similar - I'm sure more than three of us want to talk about it :)
    Done and yes I am enjoying the new album, some really good tracks on it 
    “Ken sent me.”
    Jut noticed the deluxe edition also on Spotify - good cover of Mind Games.

Will have to have the album on in the car tomorrow - if I can get Android Auto to work properly.
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 47
    ‘Open the Door, See What You Find’ is a great track 

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Got my deluxe triple vinyl!!

A lot of the remixes remind me, fondly, of the sort you used to get on CD singles in the 90s!

Nostalgia... isn't what it used to be :)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    Loved the first HFBs album, will give this a listen in the morning…
    Mange to play most of the album on the way to work, like Easy now (I think), not many Guitar Solo's on this album, can't remember if there are any on his last album ??
    “Ken sent me.”
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    Kirk Hammett.

Paid a fortune for a pair that were once owned by Alexander McQueen.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    Charlotte Courbe. Shes also percussion and BVs.

If youve ever actually played with french herb scissors, they make an awesome swoosh sound thats been on loads of records over the years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Kirk Hammett.

Paid a fortune for a pair that were once owned by Alexander McQueen.

Kirk's scissor playing was only any good on the first few albums.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited June 2023
    I read that William Whiteley & Sons are releasing some relic Kirk Hammet signature scissors, aged by Tom Murphy, for the collectors who don't actually cut paper or play then in a band but prefer to keep them in a drawer.

https://www.whiteley.co.uk/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    I gave this a go this morning on the way into work. It's good but hasn't blown me away like "Dead To The World" did when it came out. I'll obviously give it a few listens but at the moment I prefer "Who Built The Moon?".
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ALRALR Frets: 75
    I've given it 3.3 listens. I like it so far, but as I said to my mate of 25 years and fellow Noel-watcher (and former bandmate), it will take dozens of listens and months of debate before we know what we think about it.

I'm enjoying the sound, even though I liked Who Built The Moon I'm appreciating the new direction, reminds me a little bit of something like Scott Walker. I still think he's one of the best melodicists, the lyrics do seem a little more meaningful than usual.
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
    Mange to play most of the album on the way to work, like Easy now (I think), not many Guitar Solo's on this album, can't remember if there are any on his last album ??

I think Noel finds solos a bit boring these days.  There were a few on "Chasing Yesterday" but mostly played by someone else, as was the solo on "Black Star Dancing".

There is tremendous fun in a classic Noel solo, but you know I think that! :lol:
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    As with all of Noel's work I like a few songs here and there, I'm more looking forward to the new Blur album though.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    Having watched that TPS video intro he still struggles to pick a chord without staring down at his right hand like he's just been handed Burt Weedon's Play In A Day book.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    Strat54 said:
    Having watched that TPS video intro he still struggles to pick a chord without staring down at his right hand like he's just been handed Burt Weedon's Play In A Day book.
    Where's he supposed to look, into Dan's eyes? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter