Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oh Dear Royal Blood - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oh Dear Royal Blood

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Ah fuck it, I think Royal Blood are great.

If you had to rule out pillocks from music you like, you'd rule out half the industry.

People will be saying you can't like Bowie or Led Zep for all the underage sex next.
    Or Ted Nugent for being the scum of the earth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Nobody's saying you can't like them just because the singer had a David Brent moment, I don't think that's been suggested at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Nobody's saying you can't like them just because the singer had a David Brent moment, I don't think that's been suggested at all
    I know they didn't, I'm not concerned ;)  TBH even if they did, I'd make my own mind up.

I actually quite like Bowie and Led Zep as well.

I am also sometimes partial to anti-semite and all-round asshole Richard Wagner's stuff - I one day will dedicate a whole day to chaining "Der Ring Des Nibelungen" with libretto in hand.

I had to look up who Ted Nugent was though, sorry @Philly_Q ; if you're a fan :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I had bit of a listen and it was OK but not my thing, like Wet Leg with beards. Good luck to them and all that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:
    I had bit of a listen and it was OK but not my thing, like Wet Leg with beards. Good luck to them and all that.
    They were at Big Weekend as well, as brilliant as ever.

They should play that "Daisy" song live, though I did like the new one "Obvious".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Royal fud. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    I had to look up who Ted Nugent was though, sorry @Philly_Q ;; if you're a fan
    Really?  o

@darthed1981 I take it back about you being an honorary boomer....

No, I'm not a fan, although I do still like some of his older albums, I'm quite ashamed to say.  He used to come across as a politically-incorrect but essentially likeable loudmouth, unfortunately in recent years he's turned into a despicable right-wing bigot.  Barely a day goes by without him saying something vile.  He's a horrible man and I hate him.
    Philly_Q said:

@darthed1981 I take it back about you being an honorary boomer....

Oh fuck - there was me looking forward to the pension!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Good effort. Not quite Captain Sensible getting his old man out and pissing on the crowd but a half decent attempt at plastic rawwwk.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    There have been some killer two piece bands, this lot seem pretty bland though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've never really been one to give a toss about the person behind the mic tbh. If the music's good and the show's good that's what I'm there for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Tour & Album to pimp ;)

They're on Jools this week
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Jalapeno said:
    Tour & Album to pimp ;)

Do you think they'll get mad if the other bands don't clap?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Jalapeno said:
    Tour & Album to pimp ;)

Well they should certainly shout at the audience - and Jools H - for not appreciating rock music, because that's a given.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I'd forgotten all about them until this thread so, from their perspective, perhaps it had a positive outcome in increasing their exposure.
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Tour & Album to pimp ;)

Well they should certainly shout at the audience - and Jools H - for not appreciating rock music, because that's a given.
    Yeah but if he DID there wouldn't usually be some world music act on where you can go get another beer.

Must catch up with this series.  I remember for me the "golden episode" in the last one, with Bernard Butler & Jessie Buckley, Warmdusher, Poppy Ajudha and Confidence Man... been a bit obsessed with Confidence Man ever since (already a lifelong Bernard fan).
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Tour & Album to pimp ;)

Yeah but if he DID there wouldn't usually be some world music act on where you can go get another beer.

Must catch up with this series.  I remember for me the "golden episode" in the last one, with Bernard Butler & Jessie Buckley, Warmdusher, Poppy Ajudha and Confidence Man... been a bit obsessed with Confidence Man ever since (already a lifelong Bernard fan).
    I have that window of opportunity from before the show starts until after it's over.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    Jalapeno said:
    Tour & Album to pimp ;)

Yet another act that Jools will improve with some of his honkytonk piano? :D 
  • smfacersmfacer Frets: 23
    A good friend of mine summed it up quite succinctly on facebook...

"...talk about getting it all backwards, the crowd aren't there for you, boys. You're there for the crowd.

Maybe, Royal Blood, you've forgotten what it's like to have every single fan you can get on side to matter - not because they'll buy stuff and make you money, but because they will be the people who allow you to get on a stage and play the music you work hard on and give a shit about people hearing. Maybe right now you're more concerned about your next sync deal than your fans.

It's true that you're not going to get to the level of fame you've reached without some ability, sacrifice, and hard work, but you might want to check the size of your ego if you don't think that has been supplemented by 90 percent dumb luck and fortunate connections. I know bands that have never got anywhere that absolutely piss on your output from a great height.

You think you represent some lost ideal of authentic rock music? Then start caring about your fans, not the next fat cheque from Samsung, or featuring in the next Nissan Qashqai ad."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    They got their break from having the same management as the Artic Monkeys. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited June 2023

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    @smfacer ;For better or worse, most bands DO have to worry about the next fat cheque from Samsung or the Nissan Qashqai. The old fashioned record deal is no more.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339
    Sorry if somebody has already pointed this out, but have Royal Blood considered that the crowd were less enthusiastic because they are fucking awful?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    It's a bit silly isn't it? Most bands would chew their own legs off to play in front of a big crowd like that. Maybe he was just having a bad day, i don't know. Things like this always remind me of the Bill Hicks bit where he does his 'British rock star' voice ('Ahm fu' in sick of it,' etc.) 
    Pjon said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Tour & Album to pimp ;)

Yet another act that Jools will improve with some of his honkytonk piano? :D 
    Such a shame that Dr John is no longer with us, to add that stereo effect.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    As has already been suggested, a Radio 1 festival audience was unlikely to overlap much with the RB fan base. 

Given this situation, the correct response is best demonstrated by Slade at Reading, 1980. Booked as a last minute replacement when Ozzy cancelled, Slade came onstage to a hostile HR/HM audience and won them over by playing a blinder. Half way through the set, Nod had 'em singing along.
    Be seeing you.
    Funkfingers said:
    Given this situation, the correct response is best demonstrated by Slade at Reading, 1980. Booked as a last minute replacement when Ozzy cancelled, Slade came onstage to a hostile HR/HM audience and won them over by playing a blinder. Half way through the set, Nod had 'em singing along.
    Unfortunately that's the difference between a professional and a tart.  It doesn't matter how big you are (and RB aren't huge) you need to respect your audience and put on a good show.

It's hard to believe RB didn't start out playing in toilets to people who didn't give a toss, everyone else does, so it's odd they had forgotten that.

Slade were also a lot better than anyone ever gave them credit for, and actually RB have some tunes which could have won the kids over with a bit of charm.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    edited June 2023
    darthed1981 said:

Slade were also a lot better than anyone ever gave them credit for, and actually RB have some tunes which could have won the kids over with a bit of charm.

Indeed !  Slade Alive is IMHO the best Live ablum ever - better even than Live & Dangerous.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Funkfingers said:
    Unfortunately that's the difference between a professional and a tart.  It doesn't matter how big you are (and RB aren't huge) you need to respect your audience and put on a good show.

It's hard to believe RB didn't start out playing in toilets to people who didn't give a toss, everyone else does, so it's odd they had forgotten that.

Slade had a bit of a resurgence just after that, with a slightly harder rock sound and a couple of hit singles (We'll Bring the House Down and Lock Up Your Daughters - disappointingly correct spelling).  They played at Monsters of Rock in 1981 and went down really well, as far as I can remember (although it was raining most of the day and the field was a mudbath).