Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oh Dear Royal Blood - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oh Dear Royal Blood

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I don't know much about Royal Blood, I've seen their name a lot over the last few years and heard a couple of tracks, but they seem to fall into that category of being sort of rock, but not rock enough for my tastes.  I've no strong opinions on this incident, but they do seem to play a lot of very mainstream festivals rather than rock ones, so perhaps they're almost courting indifference?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    edited May 2023
    Crikey, he's a musician having a bad day.

Obvious joke is too soon...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    bobacco said:
    Incredibly misguided to think that they’d have crossover appeal with the other acts. That said though, just grin and bear it and get through. Not like it’s a charity gig, so probably got a fair chunk of change for doing it. 

Whilst the general indifference of the crowd wouldn’t have been all that pleasant, you have to think that any of the pop acts performing at say, Download, would have had it worse and considerably more piss-bottlely. 
    there was a mosh pit on the footage, and accounts from being in the audience are everyone was enjoying and cheering. For whatever reason, he was trying to be edgy and failed in spectacular fashion.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    edited May 2023
    It's a bit bloody rich to be as utterly fucking bang average as Royal Blood and then complain that people are indifferent to your indifferent music.

Most of the Live Aid crowd weren't there to see Queen. I don't recall Freddie Mercury complaining on stage that they didn't like his ten-years-out-of-date music. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Interesting band from what I've heard, but the guy seems like a grade A knob. 
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 86
    bobacco said:
    Incredibly misguided to think that they’d have crossover appeal with the other acts. That said though, just grin and bear it and get through. Not like it’s a charity gig, so probably got a fair chunk of change for doing it. 

Whilst the general indifference of the crowd wouldn’t have been all that pleasant, you have to think that any of the pop acts performing at say, Download, would have had it worse and considerably more piss-bottlely. 
    Side note, but Big Weekend doesn't actually pay artists. Like Glastonbury you're expected to sink the costs in return for heavy R1 playlisting either side of the event and your full set on iPlayer, which IS actually worth taking the famous exposure dollars for once.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What a big baby. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited May 2023
    I could have understood the tantrum had people been booing or shuffling away in dozens but, from what I can see of the audience's reaction and participation in the following video of one song, over 30% of the audience in the main centre-stage cluster were bopping, clapping, waving their arms, and seemed to be moving to the music and participating in the event.  They were still very densely packed, so it wasn't as though they all wandered off to the toilet pending the next act.  I would say that the audience participation was quite respectible given that it was a mixed style event.

For what it's worth I found it boring and it's not the kind of music I would deliberately choose to listen to, but they are skilled at what they do - including whining.  I would probably have preferred to be watching the Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling event at Brockworth.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    euan said:
    Daphne and Celeste spring to mind.
    Daphne and Celeste were hardcore. How many other artists would have done their entire festival set with a crowd throwing bottles full of urine at them?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    BillDL said:
    I could have understood the tantrum had people been booing or shuffling away in dozens but, from what I can see of the audience's reaction and participation in the following video of one song, over 30% of the audience in the main centre-stage cluster were bopping, clapping, waving their arms, and seemed to be moving to the music and participating in the event.  They were still very densely packed, so it wasn't as though they all wandered off to the toilet pending the next act.  I would say that the audience participation was quite respectible given that it was a mixed style event.

For what it's worth I found it boring and it's not the kind of music I would deliberately choose to listen to, but they are skilled at what they do - including whining.  I would probably have preferred to be watching the Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling event at Brockworth.
    Watching that vid it's not like the whole audience are sat on their hands? It's a packed crowd and a large segment are clapping along. What's he expecting? Limp Bizkit style audience surfing on torn off festival fencing a la Woodstock '99?!!?

I quite enjoyed it though - it's different - and the sounds he's getting from a bass into that secret sauce rig (harmonizers, POGs etc) is different. 
    I had no idea they'd added a keyboard player these days - but the stage still looks depressingly empty visually.
    I'm not sure if they were they playing to track as well?
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited May 2023
    I like Royal Blood.  They're fantastic live and I found them refreshingly different when they first came out.  So the guy spat out his dummy... well 'rock stars' have done much worse at gigs.  Bit of a faff about nothing, but I'm a bit mystified as to why they were playing this sort of event in the first place.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Offset said:
    ...... I'm a bit mystified as to why they were playing this sort of event in the first place.
    Exactly
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    They’re a bit like a poppy low rent muse 
    To make a two piece interesting is really hard I can only think of the white stripes and 21Pilots who have got a real vibe going
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Sporky said:
    euan said:
    Daphne and Celeste were hardcore. How many other artists would have done their entire festival set with a crowd throwing bottles full of urine at them?
    And they did it twice of the weekend. Reading and Leeds
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    euan said:
    Sporky said:
    euan said:
    And they did it twice of the weekend. Reading and Leeds
    Double hardcore. 
    I actually sense a bit of a disagreement between band and manage.ment or label on this one, and the band acting out being part of the fallout (though doesn't he have a bit of a history of being an egotistical pillock anyhow?)

The event is huge publicity and it's fair to say, based on the first single, they aren't aiming nearly as poppy as their last album on the new one. 

Therefore the baked in audience won't come over, the label are probably insisting on some publicity work... or else...

The band could have done it very professionally, even left with an acknowledgement of them not going down too well, I'd have said "you might not have loved us, but we love you all, thanks for coming, <big smile, clap the crowd>..."

But, any publicity is good publicity... just shows how much the industry has changed and RB have been lucky to succeed the old fashioned way... you can't really imagine them getting there through youtube ("my last video didn't get many views... so fuck you all...") or tiktok ("look how wacky and self-deprecating I'm being for 30 seconds... yeeeeet! lit! Yeee! etc. etc.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 164
    bobacco said:

Side note, but Big Weekend doesn't actually pay artists. Like Glastonbury you're expected to sink the costs in return for heavy R1 playlisting either side of the event and your full set on iPlayer, which IS actually worth taking the famous exposure dollars for once.
    Thanks for the correction - makes sense, actually. Still. He acted like a right bell-sniff. 

• bobaccobobacco Frets: 164
    Sporky said:
    euan said:
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Quite seriously.. who headlined and why aren't they all over the front pages for playing a blinder? 

Royal Blood are on the way down after a pretty decent first record and mediocre returns since. And this is a great way to stave off that decline for a little while longer.  It's all anyone's talking about. If the new music is shit it won't help long term but it'll push more streams in the first week for sure. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    Offset said:
     but I'm a bit mystified as to why they were playing this sort of event in the first place.
    They are the most Radio 1 'rock' band in years. Their music gets used on every X factor montage and Match of the Day. 

Probably more suited to the festival than the Jonas brothers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    Quite seriously.. who headlined and why aren't they all over the front pages for playing a blinder? 

Royal Blood are on the way down after a pretty decent first record and mediocre returns since. And this is a great way to stave off that decline for a little while longer.  It's all anyone's talking about. If the new music is shit it won't help long term but it'll push more streams in the first week for sure. 
    Lewis Capaldi headlined. I'm not sure he needs more streams or the publicity. He seems to be doing quite well for himself.
    His debut album biggest seller of 2019 and 2020 in the UK. 
    Playing to massive crowds world wide.
    Don't believe me? Watch the netflix documentary. I had no idea about him apart that Somebody You Loved song. Turns out he's like a Scottish Ed Sheeran.  =)

We're all on here discussing Polyphia, Bonamassa and Paul Gilbert's signature guitar  =)
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    CaseOfAce said:

Lewis Capaldi headlined. I'm not sure he needs more streams or the publicity. He seems to be doing quite well for himself.
    His debut album biggest seller of 2019 and 2020 in the UK. 
    Playing to massive crowds world wide.
    Don't believe me? Watch the netflix documentary. I had no idea about him apart that Somebody You Loved song. Turns out he's like a Scottish Ed Sheeran.  =)

We're all on here discussing Polyphia, Bonamassa and Paul Gilbert's signature guitar  =)
    And The 1975 apparently. 

But we're not talking about either of them. (admitedlly half the internet is talking about 1975 as Taylor Swift is shagging the singer apparently), but RB haven't had this much publicity in years!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Everyone very naive on this forum
    LPManic said:
    Everyone very naive on this forum
    I'm sorry to hear that you think you're very naive.

Probably best that you don't speak for others though. 

;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    No it was The Kooks who did Naive, different band and different era 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I like his pedal board and the routing options. It's well planned.
    It was also quite savvy at their beginning to hide the board so "nobody" could figure out what he was doing. *

That added some mystery. But ultimately I cannot name a single song of theirs.

* took me (and no doubt other similarly afflicted bassists) an hour or 2 to work out how he was doing it. Then the Helix had a factory patch doing. I wonder if that annoyed him too.
    Ah fuck it, I think Royal Blood are great.

If you had to rule out pillocks from music you like, you'd rule out half the industry.

People will be saying you can't like Bowie or Led Zep for all the underage sex next.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    BlueStrat said:
    To make a two piece interesting is really hard I can only think of the white stripes and 21Pilots who have got a real vibe going
    They’re supporting Muse on their UK tour in June.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    BlueStrat said:
    They’re supporting Muse on their UK tour in June.

I'm seeing them in MK :)