Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ed Sheeran in court again for alleged plagiarism - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ed Sheeran in court again for alleged plagiarism

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Offset said:
    Sheeran has said he'll exit the music business should he lose this case.  That might please some but not me, and I think it would be a disastrous outcome for songwriting.

He's a talented guy and just because I don't like his music doesn't mean I'd want to deprive others of it.
    He's also an individual songwriter who made his own luck and is at least largely responsible for the bulk of his own work - whatever you may think of his 'borrowing' - as opposed to the hundreds of records churned out by identikit interchangeable teams of songwriter/producers who are basically a factory. I'm actually quite open to mainstream pop music, I listen to daytime radio and (really!) own the whole Now That's What I Call Music series, but probably half of all the tracks on the last couple of dozen Now albums share at least one songwriter in common, and all - much more so than what our parents said about our music - do really sound very similar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    I hope the jury are fans or they'll hear he's said that and say guilty no matter what.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    Pjon said:
    Offset said:
    ICBM said:
    Offset said:
    ...and then of course there is the uncanny resemblance between 'Hotel California' and Jethro Tull's 'We Used To Know'... 
    That one is a coincidence. It's been raised so many times by people who know that the Eagles toured with Tull, but easily disproved... Don Felder wrote the chord progression (the demo was called 'Mexican Reggae', because that's what it sounded like originally), but wasn't in the Eagles at the time - it was a couple of years before he joined.

Personally I don't even think it sounds that similar, and I'm a fan of both bands and have both albums. It's not even a particularly unusual chord progression and was quite likely used before either of them.
    Fair points, but to my ear they resemble each other to a greater extent than some cases which have resulted in successful court cases.
    I remember Ian Anderson pontificating about this at a gig, some time in the 90s. (I could have sworn he was making a joke about the songs being identical if one was played backwards, but it was a long time ago and my brain is getting old! :D ) I can see the same chord progression but can't hear an uncanny resemblance. Maybe I'm too familiar with both songs, if that's possible, so I asked a friend who doesn't know We Used To Know to listen to it while I was typing this and he thinks it sounds similar but also to a Wishbone Ash song of the same era.

What I do note is that Anderson loves bitching about any of his peers who were more successful. I read an article recently, promoting his new album, where he claimed he used to be ready and stocked up for a nuclear war and even kept weapons at hand. He comes across as such an odd man, often really unlikeable.
    I watched a recent interview with him (Classic Album Review or whatever it’s called on YouTube) and he’s very much the grumpy gammon now. But based on the YouTube comments there’s a lot of cross over between Tull fans and being anti woke, Mail reading types (although I suspect they are mainly American). 
    Rock musicians were inherently a bit rebellious, a bit liberal and it’s always disappointing when so many of them turn into what their younger selves would have hated. 
    Apparently his voice is shot to ribbons now and Tull is basically him and whoever will put up with him. A law suit against The Eagles wouldn’t be a complete surprise, Anderson obviously feels aggrieved by modernity and that he is entitled to make things right for himself. 
    I recall a story about Anderson that popped up on one of the bass forums. My recollection of the details is a bit fuzzy but the gist is clear enough. He was touring America but for some reason I’ve now forgotten wanted to hire a double bass locally. So they advertised for people in the various cities on the tour willing to help out. One of the guys on the form heard about this and as a Tull fan offered him an instrument at what was a very modest charge…usd15 or something like that, just to cover his costs…and to his absolute astonishment Anderson, presumably a multi multi millionaire, haggled about the price.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I recall a story about Anderson that popped up on one of the bass forums. My recollection of the details is a bit fuzzy but the gist is clear enough. He was touring America but for some reason I’ve now forgotten wanted to hire a double bass locally. So they advertised for people in the various cities on the tour willing to help out. One of the guys on the form heard about this and as a Tull fan offered him an instrument at what was a very modest charge…usd15 or something like that, just to cover his costs…and to his absolute astonishment Anderson, presumably a multi multi millionaire, haggled about the price.
    I think what you're saying in a very tactful way is that he's a bit of a twat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Offset said:
    Sheeran has said he'll exit the music business should he lose this case.  That might please some but not me, and I think it would be a disastrous outcome for songwriting.

He's a talented guy and just because I don't like his music doesn't mean I'd want to deprive others of it.
    It will actively kill songwriting.

If this case is lost, it will not be commercially worth releasing original music any more (it barely is anyway for people who aren't Sheeran, TayTay or Katy Perry), some ass somewhere will have done something similar enough to take all your money.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    DB’s take, quite an interesting watch:

https://youtu.be/FcU0Rc5iXFg

Spot.Fucking.On.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Sheeran could be doing without this hassle if he based his pop music around diminished chords and super locrian melodies.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    beed84 said:
    Sheeran could be doing without this hassle if he based his pop music around diminished chords and super locrian melodies.
    You are Django Reinhardt and I claim my five pounds

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Not liable. Until next time?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited May 2023
    Vintage65 said:

It was quite obvious from this video I posted, and I would blame the producer for any misunderstanding.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    The Pulp thing above is very cool. It reminds me of the Austrian electro pop song, Codo, that is claimed to be the inspirtion for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer theme tune:

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited May 2023
    Thankfully for music generally, Sheeran's win was a good result. 
    Reserving my judgement on his tunes though  ;)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Good news, I think.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Like I say, he knows what to rip off and how

A good day for music, and a bad day for music ;)
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    I haven't read the thread, but he's threatened to retire if he loses so fingers crossed! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    joneve said:
    I haven't read the thread, but he's threatened to retire if he loses so fingers crossed! 
    Bit late - he won ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    oh FFS. haha. 

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    To have to take his guitar on a stand to court to show the judge the songs are different is a new one. I know he uses 4 chords and kinda recycles the progressions but he's a good artist and I can see why he sells a lot of records.

As a guitar teacher he's responsible for bring me a few new learners each year who want to play his style of music - capo'd steel string acoustic 4 open chord shape progression songs.
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    To have to take his guitar on a stand to court to show the judge the songs are different is a new one. I know he uses 4 chords and kinda recycles the progressions but he's a good artist and I can see why he sells a lot of records.

As a guitar teacher he's responsible for bring me a few new learners each year who want to play his style of music - capo'd steel string acoustic 4 open chord shape progression songs.

Yeah I love the guy, got lots of work through his popularity when I was teaching. Same with Noel Gallagher.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    I binge watched the 4 part series on Disney + last night. While heavily edited etc etc I can’t help liking the guy. His music doesn’t do much for me but, and here’s the but, it shows quite a lot about his process. Fuck em all, music is music and long May that continue. I am of the view that disgruntled folks are seriously looking to lawyers to maximise £. Sod them. Am I right in thinking that it’s Sherman 2, lawyers nil? What about other cases?
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075

There’s a bit more to what he does than that.