Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). First album or single you bought. - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

First album or single you bought.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• gordijigordiji Frets: 714
    70's compilation album bought from the local sweetshop with pocket money. I'd be 9 or 10 and bought it for Radar Love but there's a few bangers on there too like this flight tonight/ nazareth or schools out/ cooper. In fact there's more good songs on it than bad which is perhaps a reflection of the era.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Single: American Pie
    Album: Schools Out
    Great minds (almost) think alike:

Single - Vincent
    Album - Killer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    edited April 2023
    Single: Patches - Clarence Carter

Album:

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    First single, voice of the beehive, don't call me baby
    First album, Micheal Jackson, bad.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    Single: Promises - Buzzcocks
    Album: New Boots And Panties - Ian Dury And The Blockheads
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Bought for me album: Damned, Damned, Damned. 

I lie. 

It was either the muppet show or (slightly cooler?) Not the 9 o’clock news, Hedgehog sandwich. First I bought with my own money was All mod cons, The Jam.

Single: bought for me was Squeeze, Cool for cats and Michael Jackson, Shake your body down to the ground, same birthday as presents. First I bought for myself was Runaway boys by The stray cats.

I play at my dining room table.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    viz said:
    You can hear me in the crowd on that.  Theoretically.
  • Oh blimey

"Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" by Middle of the Road
    "Tales from Topographic Oceans" by Yes (on the recommendation of the bloke I bought my first amp from)

I'll get me coat...
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    With my record token or WH Smith voucher grasped in my little hand, I may have been ‘encouraged’ towards these choices by my Dad….

First single was this:

First album I bought was this:

I never listened to side three though… 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    With the Beatles - a couple of weeks after it was released.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Jfingers said:
    Single: Promises - Buzzcocks
    Album: New Boots And Panties - Ian Dury And The Blockheads
    Close.

Single: Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
    Album: Another Music In A Different Kitchen 
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • pruddprudd Frets: 593
    First album I bought was "Liege and Lief". Fairport Convention, in 1970, still one of my favourite albums.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    First one was a present for my mother - Queen's Hot Space. It had just been released.

First single I bought for me was Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love. That might have had something to do with the single cover and the video though!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited May 2023
    oh dear.............................
    first album
    as a 9yr old in '73  (was actually a xmas present)

first album I bought with my own pennies

first single  - two at the same time

48 Crash          - Suzi Q
    I love you love  - Gary Paedo 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • NothingOnTheTeleNothingOnTheTele Frets: 312
    edited May 2023
    I know this isn't quite what OP was asking, but anyway...

I never bought many records and have always used Spotify. The handful of CDs I'd accumulated were chucked out some time ago. However I've now come around to the benefits of physical media and have bought a hifi system with a CD player.

The first CD I've bought (and the only CD I now own) is All Through The City (With Wilko 1974-1977) by Dr Feelgood. It's a collection of the four albums they made before Wilko Johnson left the band, plus a fair bit of previously unreleased material including 13 studio recordings. What a fantastic start to my collection.

And it comes with a DVD! The Old Grey Whistle test, a couple of other broadcasts, a couple of live gigs, and a band interview. Awesome.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
     voice of the beehive,  
    ooh Ive met them 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    First single - When you're young and in love by the Flying Pickets
    First album - Hunting High & Low by A-ha
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 276
    edited May 2023
    Single: Down The Dustpipe - Status Quo
    LP: Fog On The Tyne - Lindisfarne
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited May 2023
    I bought master of puppets from someone in school who used to rip CDs for a quid. But my first proper purchase was the best of black Sabbath at age 17 in 2003. I listened to nothing else that year.