Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). First album or single you bought. - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

First album or single you bought.

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4052
I was going through some of my old albums the other day talking to my son, and I showed him the first one I bought. Still remember it all, it was for my 10th birthday in 1972, felling quite happy about till my son pointed out that was half a century ago! 
Separate Ways and Hits from his Movies by Elvis. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Beatles For Sale.

I bought it when I was 12 in '79.To this day, I think it's got some underrated tracks on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited April 2023
    The first album I bought myself was ABBA: The Album in early 1978.
    I can't remember my first single, it might have been Ma Baker by Boney M.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Deep Purple - Black Night (with Speed King on the B side).  Bought around 1973 at the age of 11 three years after its release.
    Status Quo - On The Level album when it came out in 1975.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Nothing credible:

Malcolm McLaren - Double Dutch (bought with a voucher from Startright or Clarks shoes). The b side was She's Looking Like a Hobo which had the first turntable scratching I'd ever heard.

Chart Hits 83 bought with Xmas money. It's got Aftica and Men at Work's Down Under on it iirc. 

My first proper album was Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger I think. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited April 2023
    With my own pocket money, Clout - Substitute and Marshall, Hain - Dancing In The City, on the same day in 1978.

I already had ABBA's Waterloo and ABBA albums, and Deep Purple's 24 Carat Purple and Burn, but those were birthday/Christmas presents. I must have bought Status Quo's 12 Gold Bars around the same time too, I think that was the first album with my own money.

I still love all these, by the way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    First single - Standing In The Road by Blackfoot Sue.

First album - Santana Abraxas. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    My first purchase was two albums: Van Morrison - Astra Weeks and Focus - Moving Waves. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 47
    First album was Every Picture Tells a Story - Rod Stewart 
    First single was Call Me Number One  - Tremeloes

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Aside from obvious kids stuff when I was really small I think it was Definitely Maybe
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    First single, any only bit of I have ever owned: Do the Bartman. Yeah, oh dear.

First album: The Raw and the Cooked by the Fine Young Cannibals (on cassette) . Better. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476

Supertramp – Dreamer
    Cream – Disraeli Gears
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    With my own money: Blues From Laurel Canyon, John Mayall.

But before that - I had an uncle who owned a couple of small independent record shops and he gave me iirc two albums prior to that and also taped stuff for me (reel to reel).  The albums he gave me were Out of Our Heads and Aftermath (both by the Rolling Stones).  I think part of the reason I got these was that they weren't selling, a bit too niche for his customers - his bread and butter was chart pop singles and country albums.  He taped collections of hit singles from the charts but also a couple of compilation albums, This Is Soul (an Atlantic soul sampler) and a collection of Beach Boys hits.  It's amazing to think that decades later the Stones, 60s Soul and (to a lesser extent) The Beach Boys would still feature high on a list of music that was important to me.  John Mayall didn't stand the test of time so well.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    My mate's dad sold ex jukebox singles and I bought They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Haa! by Napoleon XIV. Probably my favourite B side ever (it's the A side played backwards). First current chart one was probably Lucky Number by Lena Lovich. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    My first vinyl album was Sound Affects second hand from a library some time mid eighties.  Had several various albums on tape, I remember buying Green by REM on tape that might be my first.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    First single - this is going to be embarrassing - Barry Blue - Dancing' on a Saturday night

First album - Think one of those 'Top of the pops' - skimpy clad girl on the cover - all songs are covers bad as well - Something like 10 tracks for a quid from Woolworths - I was about 12

First proper album and I think it was Queen - Sheer heart attack
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    'With my own money' is a phrase you only really hear when talking about music. Nobody remembers the first socks they bought with their own money, or sandwich.

Me? Adam And The Ants - Stand And Deliver on 7".
    Album I think was Queen - Greatest Hits. I only had cassettes and my first few albums would have been copies.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    Michael Jackson's Bad (tape) and Wild Boys by Duran Duran 7"
  • First proper purchases of my own:

Single: Inspiral Carpets: Dragging Me Down and Prodigy: Everybody in the Place (bought both together)

Album: Primal Scream: Screamadelica, and Teenage Fanclub: Bandwagonesque, bought together. 

Still love them all. 

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Real answer:
    Single: Oh Carolina - Shaggy.
    Album: D:Ream - Dream on

Cool answer:
    Single: Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis
    Album: Morning Glory - Oasis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    edited April 2023
    Kings of the wild frontier Adam & the Ants
    War - U2
    If you want blood - ACDC (given to me)
    All about the same time 

Single - Rock this town Stray cats 

https://i.imgur.com/JG7TyIE.jpg
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Nearly all of you have more cred than me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    My mate's dad sold ex jukebox singles and I bought They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Haa! by Napoleon XIV. Probably my favourite B side ever (it's the A side played backwards). First current chart one was probably Lucky Number by Lena Lovich. 
    I decided to share the joy, this kept me amused for hours. The record label did indeed look like that.

https://youtu.be/4gbvcEkuFFI
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 36
    The Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom from the local Woolies, I remember my sister getting me Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants but the first record I went and bought was the soundtrack to film Dance Craze. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    What's the Story? (Morning Glory)...

The second was the first Spice Girls album, but let's not discuss that...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    There was a bloke on the market who sold ex juke box records ... these had no normal centre hole, just a massive one  but that didn't matter as you could use one centre for all of them. 

Torch by Soft Cell was the first record I ever brought, still love the song today. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Single: 99 Red Balloons.

Album: Brothers in Arms.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• thingthing Frets: 469
    Single: I Feel Fine: Beatles

LP Sound track to 2001: Space Odyssey
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    First single was absolutely nothing I can claim as cool. It was Orville’s Song (I wish I could fly) when I was 5. 

Think my first album was a bit better- Michael Jackson’s Bad when I was 10/11. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Beatles, Revolver & Jethro Tull - Aqualung, both in 71 or 72. I still have that copy of Aqualung.  I have never bought a single.

• Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 166
    You are all way too cool. My first single was ( looks around to check no one is listening in) My coo ca choo by Alvin Stardust….there I’ve said it and feel much better…