Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). First album or single you bought. - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

First album or single you bought.

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    With The Beatles, with my Christmas money, Christmas 1963.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109

Arrested Development – 3 Years, 5 Months And 2 Days In The Life Of...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited April 2023
    Toms_Dad said:
    You are all way too cool. My first single was ( looks around to check no one is listening in) My coo ca choo by Alvin Stardust….there I’ve said it and feel much better…

No need to look around to see who heard you. I liked that at the time also. I think my 3rd single was Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting, with Gamblin' Man on the B side (1974)     I don't think I've heard the B side song for about 40 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    I think the first single I bought myself might have been Tarzan Boy by Baltimora!

Or it might have been Lean on Me by Red Box, which I still think is a good track.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    With my own money it was this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    First single with my own money, bought with my own hands was Chic - Le Freak. Not some birthday money that I gave my mum to buy Long Haired Lover from Liverpool - Little Jimmy Osmond -  when I was 5. 

I cringed a few months after when I got fully into the post punk/new wave/mod/ska era. I knew at the time I shouldn't have bought it, but it was catchy and I kept singing it. I got it on the way home from school as there was a record shop I'd pass by and on this day I wasn't with any schoolmates. I swear the assistant scoffed at my uncoolness as he put it in the bag. I don't think I've ever admitted it until now.

Actually it might have been YMCA?

Definitely the first album was Outlandos D'Amour - The Police.

One important bit of wisdom we should all give our kids when buying music nowadays (does that happen?) is to choose your first purchase wisely. In middle-age years a thread on a messageboard will appear where you will feel obliged to admit it

(I actually like and appreciate that Chic song now and all things Nile Rodgers. But at the time it was so uncool).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Singles (bought at same time:
    Kraftwerk - The Model
    XTC - Senses Working Overtime 

Album:
    Adam & the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier

Not too shabby…it got a LOT worse before it got (in my opinion) better!

I did have Shawaddywaddy and Shakin’ Stevens tapes given to me at Christmas before this, but these are my ‘with my own money’ ones.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 256
    Single(s) - a couple by Creedence Clearwater Revival bought for pennies at a jumble sale.   (Didn't know who/what I had, I just wanted something to try on my recently acquired record player).

Album - On the Level, Quo.  (Definitely knew what I wanted by then).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    Apart from some Disney singles as a young kid, I still have my first proper vinyl single, bought from Bayes Recordium in King's Lynn in 1978 aged 11: The Clash - Tommy Gun.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    First single was Chicory Tip's 'Son Of My Father'.
    First 'proper'* Album was 'Piledriver' by Status Quo.

* not MFP or  those old TOTPs compilation albums.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Pesky kids.
    First single bought with my own cash, 'Hello Goodbye' - Beatles (had quite a few other records given to me though).
    First bought album was a dead heat as I bought two with my birthday money. 'Stand Up'  by Jethro Tull & 'Led Zeppelin' (I) . 
    Still have the albums, younger sister approprated & trashed the single. Girls eh,  ;)
  • Apart from some Disney singles as a young kid, I still have my first proper vinyl single, bought from Bayes Recordium in King's Lynn in 1978 aged 11: The Clash - Tommy Gun.
    What a great Clash tune that is! Topper excels on the intro/ outro.

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1572
    edited April 2023
    First album I got as a present after specifically asking for was Prince Charming by Adam and the Ants. First one I actually went out and bought myself was (iirc) License To Ill by the Beastie Boys. 

First single was either Hole in my Shoe by Neil or Run to the Hills Live by Iron Maiden. Can’t remember which came first. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 291
    First album was either the Wombles or the Elvis ‘separate ways’ compilation…can’t remember which was first.

first single was Blondie ‘Denis’ from Western hart in commercial road for 67p…not sure why I remember that 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    First single: "Please Mr Postman" by The Carpenters. I was about 6, I'd been given an old Dansette style record player the year before and some singles, but this was the first one I'd chosen and bought myself. Still love The Carpenters

First album: The Best of Blondie or ChangesOneBowie, not 100% sure which one. Early 80s I think, when I was about 12. Both classic greatest hits compilations, zero filler.

I'm happy with those!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    First Album was Grease the musical soundtrack.  I think I was about 11.    I still have it

First single,  Jilted John by Jilted John - probably the same year.   No idea where that one ended up, but I can probably still sing it.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited April 2023
    First Album was Grease the musical soundtrack.  I think I was about 11.    I still have it
    I had the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, but not Grease.  I don't know why one but not the other - I think of them as a pair, even though they're totally different really.

First single,  Jilted John by Jilted John - probably the same year.   No idea where that one ended up, but I can probably still sing it.
    Yeah, I think I know all the words still.  I might need a brief refresher.  I can't remember if I've got the single, maybe my brother bought it.

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    Gordon is a moron.
  • First Single, Respectable by Mel and Kim

Album, Nevermind by Nirvana. 

I dont know which is more embarrassing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    First single was 'almost' Follow you Follow me by Genesis, but I eventually decided on Andrew Gold's Never let her slip away. I still think it's a beautiful song. It cost 64p! Love the Genesis song as well.

First album, there were two I really wanted, ELO Out of the Blue, and Queen News of the world. Both stellar albums that I still love! (best Queen album!). I got ELO first though, Queen second. The next 5 albums I bought were the first 5 Queen albums.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    edited April 2023
    Showing my (relative) youth here: Permission to Land by The Darkness.

No shame there, bloody good album. I don't think any of the music I liked as a teenager came as singles, so I don't think I've ever bought one, even digitally - Limewire was at its peak when I was in my teens!
    Tim
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited April 2023
    First single l asked for was Let’s Dance for some reason I got China Girl instead

i would have been 10 I think 

first album I remember asking for was a Monkees compilation, no idea why.  

First single I bought is much more hazy, not sure to be honest, probably some rock track. Same with albums I can’t remember the first one I bought. I do remember buying a lot of used records cheap and there being an abundance of second hand record shops

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    Single: American Pie
    Album: Schools Out
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Single : Ghost Town - The Specials
    Album - Kings of the Wild Frontier  - Adam and the Ants
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    The first album I bought with my own money was On Every Street by Dire Straits. And with the rest of the money I had I got myself a ticket for one of their gigs. I was 12. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• NickLNickL Frets: 141
    First and only single was the terrible Stock Aitken & Waterman-produced Band Aid 2. My mum sent me into Our Price and told me I had to buy it because it was for charity and I was the only one in the house with a working record player.

First album I remember buying (rather than being given or copying someone else's) was a Dire Straits best-of on cassette. First CD album was Derek and the Dominos Layla.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3493
    edited April 2023
    Toms_Dad said:
    You are all way too cool. My first single was ( looks around to check no one is listening in) My coo ca choo by Alvin Stardust….there I’ve said it and feel much better…

I'll take your Alvin Stardust and raise you a "Donald Where's Your Trousers?" by Andy Stewart (1989 reissue, not the original). As a first ever single it doesn't get much shitter than that!

Redeemed myself somewhat with my first ever album - "20 Golden Greats" by The Beach Boys (on cassette).
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    War of the Worlds or Black Sabbath greatest hits on cassette, honestly can't remember which.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"