Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Treble booster vs Boost with 3-knob EQ - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Treble booster vs Boost with 3-knob EQ

What's Hot
YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding
So, I've been learning a bit about pedals and their circuits, to the point where I have now built some kind of fuzz/distortion thing on a breadboard. And believe it or not, I can get usable distortion from it. So I'm now thinking about trying my hand at a different type of circuit. I don't have a proper booster, so I was thinking about building one, and the first thing that comes to mind is a treble booster (got a Marshall, and a Vox AC15C1 on the way, and I'm guessing both would love it). However, the circuit doesn't look very challenging; I was keener to make something like a boost with a 3-knob active EQ. 

Is there anything special about a classic treble booster design that could not be replicated with a boost with a 3-knob active EQ?

Thanks,
Jon
Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited April 2023
    Yes it's very different and very worthwhile despite its simplicity.

It's basically a 1 transistor fuzz more than a traditional boost and despite the name, boosting the treble is the tiniest part of its sound. I love them
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It’s a fantastic circuit. I would recommend a germanium build 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yeah germanium all the way for me too. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    Silicon treble boosters can sound great. I had a Pigdog Treble Twin which is 2 x treble boosters in one box, 1 side germanium and the other silicon. I preferred the silicon side.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I should add I have a cheap Naga Viper Clone for sale at the moment. It's great but cuts more than i need and works better for gainier sounds for me compared to germanium which I tended to enjoy the fatness and woolyness more. 

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Wow, some great suggestions here. 
    Germanium: just the diodes, or does the transistor also have to be Ge?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

edited April 2023
    all about the transistor - no diodes - only diodes you might find in one is for polarity protection. 

soma1975 said:
    all about the transistor - no diodes - only diodes you might find in one is for polarity protection. 
    Oh. Doesn’t the circuit do any clipping? 

• Yorkie said:
    soma1975 said:
    It’s a boost pedal, no diodes except for polarity protection in more modern layouts. If you go for Germanium I would say somewhere around 100hfe but it will probably sound good on lower HFE. Just remember if you get PNP Germs to change the cap polarity, or you can use a battery. Alternatively you can use NPN germs. 

It’s a very simple circuit. You could build on vero. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited April 2023
    Here is a silicon NPN layout for a breadboard. It’s a slightly different layout and is supposed to be similar to the Brian May one 

http://beavisaudio.com/beavisboard/projects/bbp_BMTrebleBoost.pdf

• soma1975 said:
    I should add I have a cheap Naga Viper Clone for sale at the moment. It's great but cuts more than i need and works better for gainier sounds for me compared to germanium which I tended to enjoy the fatness and woolyness more. 
    Does that have a gain control ? 

• Yorkie said:
    soma1975 said:
    If you do breadboard and want to try and see what it sounds like with clipping you could put diodes after the cap on the output to ground. Not sure how it will sound, maybe try Red LEDs

edited April 2023
    soma1975 said:
    Does that have a gain control ? 
    yep

In the thread here - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/245913 ;

Thanks, @Cookiemonster

Any good places to source Ge transistors? I think all the eBay ones are very low gain? 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I wouldn't get too hung up on germanium.
    My favourite TB is the Thundertomate silicon one.
    Sassafras said:

My experience is they are both great sounding but not the same sounding. 

SI ones seem to cut more and suit heavier styles and GE ones seem a bit fatter and smoother. 

In my head I tend to think - SI = Sabbath or Brian May and GE = Cream 'Woman Tone'. 

But that's probably just the way I play them. 

soma1975 said:
    Sassafras said:

My experience is they are both great sounding but not the same sounding. 

SI ones seem to cut more and suit heavier styles and GE ones seem a bit fatter and smoother. 

In my head I tend to think - SI = Sabbath or Brian May and GE = Cream 'Woman Tone'. 

But that's probably just the way I play them. 
    That's why I like the Thundertomate one, it's the most versatile TB I've owned. It's got loads of dip switches inside for endless combinations.
    ooh nice

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    Yorkie said:
    Thanks, @Cookiemonster

Any good places to source Ge transistors? I think all the eBay ones are very low gain? 
    Build a silicon so you can try the circuit and then on eBay you can look for the Russian germs. They often are available from the Ukraine. If you type in HFE Germanium Transistor into eBay you will see some listed that way. Often they are more expensive though and watch the pin outs. 

I would definitely say try the silicon first though, you will probably have most of that parts and you might find that circuit isn’t for you, but if you do like it, I would then suggest building the germ. 

Also add a switch for the input cap, then put a 4.7nf one side and something like a 100nf the other. 

edited April 2023
    Brian May I think had a germanium TB first and then a silicon after that. The first one was lost and so I’ve read, his dad built him a replacement but that was silicon 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    edited April 2023
    I have a Magnetic Effects Electron Enhancer that I took a bit of time getting to understand. It's Ge, super flexible, super tweakable and generally super everything. And it works amazingly well with my tweedyluxe. 
    Yorkie said:
    Thanks, @Cookiemonster

Build a silicon so you can try the circuit and then on eBay you can look for the Russian germs. They often are available from the Ukraine. If you type in HFE Germanium Transistor into eBay you will see some listed that way. Often they are more expensive though and watch the pin outs. 

I would definitely say try the silicon first though, you will probably have most of that parts and you might find that circuit isn’t for you, but if you do like it, I would then suggest building the germ. 

Also add a switch for the input cap, then put a 4.7nf one side and something like a 100nf the other. 
    Sounds like a plan. 

• Yorkie said:
    Yorkie said:
    Thanks, @Cookiemonster

Sounds like a plan. 
    You can get these solderable breadboards on Amazon that means you can make your layout more permanent

• EPLZON Plated Mini PCB Solder-able Breadboard for Electronics Projects Compatible with Arduino Soldering Projects 2.0"x1.5" mixed color(pack of 12pcs) https://amzn.eu/d/4FakmZo

Yorkie said:
    Yorkie said:
    Thanks, @Cookiemonster

Sounds like a plan. 
    You can get these solderable breadboards on Amazon that means you can make your layout more permanent
    Yup, I've got a few of those lying around from the last time I built something for my local primary school. Although I didn't think they were that expensive? Mine were more like 12 for £4 on eBay. Although they bend easily, so might be low quality. 

• Brian May I think had a germanium TB first and the. A silicon after that. The first one was lost and so I’ve read, his dad built him a replacement but that was silicon 
    Yeah his original range master was germanium but after that he's been silicon all the way 
  • VeggieSharkVeggieShark Frets: 24
    edited April 2023
    My one germanium TB doubles up as a fraction radio at times. None of my silicon ones do that..  

And to the OP...AC15C1 will love a TB on the normal channel.  The Marshall...depends on what Marshall...the modern ones hate TB's even rolling the presence and treble controls very low they're still shrill n ice picky. The older darker non master volume ones though...
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

A slightly different take....  I couldn't make the Treble Booster thing work for me the way I liked but I am chuffed to bits with my Drybell Unit67 pedal, which is a booster, upper mid-rangemaster, eq and compressor pedal in one. It's fab.

The Pete Thorn demo is excellent

https://youtu.be/P8pgByNOWo8

Stacking a TB through an overdrive tends to smooth out any spikiness they can have through some amps.