Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can Ed Sheeran really play? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can Ed Sheeran really play?

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 4394
Apparently Dutch guitar magazine Gitarist recently had a readers' poll for best acoustic guitarist in the world. 

In there among a number of obvious candidates such as for example Tommy Emmanuel, Molly Tuttle, James Taylor, John Williams, and Joe Robinson - no surprise to see any of those names in a list like this one - we have at #2 (after Tommy, before James Taylor) Ed Sheeran.

Now I have never heard Ed Shearan play. Well, to be honest I once saw his name pop up in my You-tube feed and clicked "not interested", but that's as close as I've come. The only thing I know about him, other than that he is a teen idol who grinds the serial numbers off great old riffs and makes them his own (nothing wrong with that, I do it myself - so did Mozart), is that that he plays  one of those overpriced and underwhelming Shearan-branded Lowdens which hit the shops a few years back, failed to sell, and never got re-ordered. I played one once. There was nothing wrong with it, it was a perfectly playable $1000 guitar with a $2300 price tag. 

Anyway, I thought Ed Sheeran was a singer who strummed a bit. Can he really play? Would you mention him in the same breath as Tommy E or Molly Tuttle?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    Not in my opinion. But he can write catchy song after catchy song which ultimately is the more difficult skill. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    I'm not sure I would have put him that high up the list, but he can certainly play.

I don't go out my way to watch him, but I did see a vid where he made good use of a looper pedal during a live gig, and I've seen a couple vids of him playing songs that he's (co-)written, but not released himself where he's certainly done more than a bit strumming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    He plays solo to tens of thousands of people using only an acoustic guitar and a looper, so yes he can certainly play.

I'm not really a fan and I probably wouldn't rate him as highly as no.2 in the world as a guitarist - whatever that means - but he is a very competent musician.

John Williams is a *much* better guitarist technically than any pop/rock/folk/country/or even jazz player though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    On the best acoustic guitarist in the world list I would put him at number $200 million. I don't think he would argue with that.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve had to play Tenerife Sea at weddings before now. G string is tuned down to E, so it’s:
    E A D E B E. Nice little finger-picking tune.

Not up there with the likes of Tommy Emmanuel, of course, but I think it’s also unfair to dismiss him as a singer who strums a bit and gets by.

https://youtu.be/4rg6puSP9ks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have never intentionally heard a song of his despite them sometimes being on a telly in my gym,fortunately I have my own mp3 and music supply. Even if he is decent I'd say that at his young age and relatively small amount of experience versus Taylor,Emmanuel etc,he cannot be anywhere near the top 5. This is called 'recency bias' or some such pseudo scientific term. 
    If,in twenty years,people are still playing his tunes and attending his gigs in droves,then he has a genuine claim to be among the very best.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sheeran is a talented musician but no, he is not a virtuoso guitar player.

Comparisons to Tommy E are utterly pointless. It's apples and oranges. Emmanuel is virtuoso player and raconteur but appeals to a 'niche' market. Sheeran is globally successful pop artist. Never the twain shall meet.

In terms of longevity, Sheeran has been successful for over a decade and his popularity shows no sign of abating, which is decent run by anyone's standards.

He has probably played to more people on a single tour than Tommy E has during his entire career.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He's great - he has absolute mastery of looping within songs that millions of people want to listen to, and does it on his own in front of 40,000 people. He's no Steve Vai but he's great at what he does

(also, humans seem to have an obsession with deciding what is "the best" in every category of person or item or art you can think of. It's utterly ridiculous)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I'd say he is a virtuoso of live looping performance, but not guitar playing although I think he is reasonably accomplished.

He's pretty unique in being able to entertain a stadium with a loop pedal.

He may not be for you but he's an extremely hard working and skilled musician and song writer who has paid his dues. (Playing hundreds of gigs per year when unsigned)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    He did two nights at Wembley on his todd so clearly up to something. Glad I wasn't in the audience tho
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    guitarjack66 said: Even if he is decent I'd say that at his young age and relatively small amount of experience versus Taylor,Emmanuel etc,he cannot be anywhere near the top 5. This is called 'recency bias' or some such pseudo scientific term. 
    If,in twenty years,people are still playing his tunes and attending his gigs in droves,then he has a genuine claim to be among the very best.
    This is just bizarre. Ed Sheeran is 32 years old and has been at the top of his game for nine years - whatever else you want to criticise him for this seems the least valid.

All that aside, I think having a full Wembley stadium hang on your every note for two hours on your own is at least as much of a skill as your average bit of YouTube guitar noodlewankery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ditchboy said:
    Not in my opinion. But he can write catchy song after catchy song which ultimately is the more difficult skill. 
    Is it? Having a whole team of writers, and a formula for writing music is one thing, being a Jason Becker level of guitarist is something else entirely. Maybe they're both difficult things to achieve. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Sheeran is a songwriter, people like Tommy Emmanuel are virtuosos ... different skill sets. Although Tommy can certainly write a tune as well. 
    I'm not impressed with the looper thing, it's not difficult and it's boring to watch someone build the parts, then it's boring to listen to the song being stuck on the same chord sequence cos it's looping. 

For me Sheeran is a wasted songwriter opportunity, instead of moving forward and creating new music now he has the time and the money to do so he seems content to rehash the same formula again and again. At least he was up to the point I started turning the radio off every time he came on. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    In terms of songwriting talent I once heard Ed Sheeran described as a Michelin starred chef who’s chosen to ply his trade at McDonald’s. It kind of hit the nail on the head for me. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    To quote Super Hans from Peep Show: "You can't trust people, Jeremy. People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited February 2023
    The clue is in the poll title -  "readers' poll for best acoustic guitarist in the world.
    If you substitute "best" for "most recognised" then he has a pretty strong claim to the rating in the contemporary music scene.
    Granted it's not exactly a crowded field these days... (Taylor Swift? Noel Gallagher? erm...?).

As a player - from what I've seen - he's average at best - but he's certainly no Doyle Dykes - and I would guess at home in his Suffolk mansion with 200 million in the bank he's really not that bothered what anybody says about his abilties. ;-)
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:

John Williams is a *much* better guitarist technically than any pop/rock/folk/country/or even jazz player though.
    Apart from, perhaps, John McLaughlin :smiley: 

• p90fool said:
    guitarjack66 said: Even if he is decent I'd say that at his young age and relatively small amount of experience versus Taylor,Emmanuel etc,he cannot be anywhere near the top 5. This is called 'recency bias' or some such pseudo scientific term. 
    This is just bizarre. Ed Sheeran is 32 years old and has been at the top of his game for nine years - whatever else you want to criticise him for this seems the least valid.

All that aside, I think having a full Wembley stadium hang on your every note for two hours on your own is at least as much of a skill as your average bit of YouTube guitar noodlewankery. 
    I often think the 'does it stand the test of time, will it be remembered in twenty years' approach is just bizarre when applied to what it essentially a disposable product like pop music. And I'm sure there were people composing their prog classics in 1974 who thought we would all be still humming them in 2023 and have been bitterly disappointed. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    can ed sheeran really play ?

does anyone really care ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • "The best" lists are shit anyway. Rember the "Claption is God" wankery.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited February 2023
    "Does it stand the test of time" is a bit subjective though.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    paradox.jpg 28.8K
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ditchboy said:
    Is it? Having a whole team of writers, and a formula for writing music is one thing, being a Jason Becker level of guitarist is something else entirely. Maybe they're both difficult things to achieve. 
    He got where he is writing mostly on his own - his first 2 records are mostly Ed-penned with help from whoever was producing, which is very normal. 

Pretty much the opposite of the standard Katy Perry/Beyonce thing where every album has about 15,000 songwriters. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    He's 32 today and has earned more money that I have earned or ever will earn ever. Indeed ever. Did I say ever? Did I say in 10, 20, 30 of my lifetimes? Well that too. 

I'm not a fan but he's got drive, ambition, and enough skills and talent to fill stadiums. What that says about his audience is another question. 

Good luck to him.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    CaseOfAce said:
    The clue is in the poll title -  "readers' poll for best acoustic guitarist in the world.
    If you substitute "best" for "most recognised" then he has a pretty strong claim to the rating in the contemporary music scene.
    Granted it's not exactly a crowded field these days... (Taylor Swift? Noel Gallagher? erm...?).

As a player - from what I've seen - he's average at best - but he's certainly no Doyle Dykes - and I would guess at home in his Suffolk mansion with 200 million in the bank he's really not that bothered what anybody says about his abilties. ;-)
    I think it was a few weeks ago on here that somebody posted the "Best" band/guitarist/bassist etc. from Sounds, NME or Melody Maker from the 70's. There was a huge correlation in the top 3 between the "best" band and its  members appearing in the various categories.

It would seem that little has changed in the intervening years and this polls are basically "tell us who your favourite guitarist is"
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 833
    I don't know anyone else who has had the same cultural impact as Ed - how many acoustic guitars have been sold in the last 5-10 years off the back of his career?  

Maybe one of those will become the next Tommy Emmanuel / James Taylor / Andy McKee.
    Ed is good at what he does. Granted, he's no Steven Seagal. Which, thankfully, is a relief to all of us.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GTCGTC Frets: 241
    Well - Mr. Ed is definitely more adept than his "doppelganger" Prince Harry.

To be frank, I'm more surprised that James Taylor is on the list.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    GTC said:

To be frank, I'm more surprised that James Taylor is on the list.
    James Taylor is a top drawer guitarist in anybody's language. Yes, he made his name in the 1960s and 70s as a maudlin  but popular singer-songwriter, and he was good at that, sure. He sold a ton of records. But in the many years since then he has honed his instrumental skills and these days is better known as an acoustic guitarist of virtuoso grade. Absolutely no surprise to see him on that, or any other list.

• Kilgore said:
    Sheeran is a talented musician but no, he is not a virtuoso guitar player.

Comparisons to Tommy E are utterly pointless. It's apples and oranges. Emmanuel is virtuoso player and raconteur but appeals to a 'niche' market. Sheeran is globally successful pop artist. Never the twain shall meet.

In terms of longevity, Sheeran has been successful for over a decade and his popularity shows no sign of abating, which is decent run by anyone's standards.

He has probably played to more people on a single tour than Tommy E has during his entire career.

As I said,let's wait 20 years and see if he still has the appeal. He will certainly be a better player whatever. The term 'best' or 'legendary' is bandied around far too readily in all walks of life yet is only deserving of the elite. Sheeran is not that after only a decade.