Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Right I’ve bought the Plexi pack from Amalgam and it’s like night and day now. These are really really good captures. They sound great through a power amp and cab setup. 

It’s a shame as he doesn’t have any high gain amps on there. I’ve tried free samples from other providers but again they’re really poor yet charging money for them 
    He has the Mesa MkV.
    That must be an early pack as it’s only amp and cabs captured together 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Has anyone tried the Studio Rats capture packs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Has anyone tried the Studio Rats capture packs?
    Yes I got the first pack. Paul’s Matchless captures are nice. But the Amalgam captures are just on a different level. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m waiting for Pete Thorn to release a pack. He has hinted at it so hopefully it will land soon.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited June 2023
    I bought the Amalgam plexi and it’s awesome. 

I bought a pack from Big Hairy profiles and I was disappointed. Thought his would be great. 

My favourite so far is from XOG Music: https://www.xogmusic.net/. I bought his Bogner XTC Blue captures and they are outstanding. 

I used to go to presets4all for my QC but his prices are now silly. £95 for the 4 channels of the Bluguitar Iridium. 

There’s a few sellers now charging £45 a pack. I’m not paying that and it seems to be the general consensus online that £10-20 maximum is what people will are willing to spend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    Has anyone tried the Studio Rats capture packs?
    I bought it. The Marshall capture was a bit disappointing, much better available elsewhere. The matchless ones are good. 
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    @champ222 have a look at Tannoy Gold 5. Really good. A pair will set you under £400. 

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • champ222champ222 Frets: 31
    fnpt said:
    @champ222 have a look at Tannoy Gold 5. Really good. A pair will set you under £400. 

Thanks, i was looking at those the other day actually 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3390
    Just received one that I got second hand - only had a few minutes to plug it in and try to figure out how it all works, seems ok if a little bit confusing with the IK software initially. As mentioned by others in this thread i'm not overly impressed with the stock sounds, but i've downloaded the TSR matchless and the Dream65 captures which are top of the list on the ToneX library and they do sound good. See how we go!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited June 2023
    I’ve just purchased the IK Axe IO as my external M-audio soundcard doesn’t have enough ins and outs to be able to capture 

Could do with an upgrade anyway and if I can’t get good results then I’ll just send it back to Amazon

I’ll also have to use either my sons PC or my wife’s MacBook as he has a high end graphics card and her MacBook has an M1 chip. These are the things that increase the speed at the final capture analysis stage. Takes hrs on a slow older system like mine 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    Had one for a little over a week now but with limited time to play with it. It’s impressive and I’ve been trying to integrate it with my HX Stomp which seems to be a good match. As a newbie, my initial thoughts are:

a) There’s not a lot of output level headroom when it’s connected to the Stomp (yes, I’ve watched the YouTube videos,) and it might struggle at a gig.This might be more of an HX Stomp issue!

b) The pedal needs to be better integrated with the Tonex software -
    i) there needs to be an editor for the pedal built in to the software. It’s a pain having to load a tone model in the librarian and then edit it on the pedal.

ii) the pedal needs to work as an interface between your pc and monitoring/speaker system. Using an external sound card like a Focusrite to carry the signal to the pedal and any external fx makes things fiddly and changes the end results.

iii) the pedal can capture amps and stomp boxes but you can’t combine them in the pedal or in software after they’ve been captured. It would be great to combine a Tonex model with a capture of your own favourite drive pedal.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 107
    Right I’ve bought the Plexi pack from Amalgam and it’s like night and day now. These are really really good captures. They sound great through a power amp and cab setup. 

It’s a shame as he doesn’t have any high gain amps on there. I’ve tried free samples from other providers but again they’re really poor yet charging money for them 
    He has the Mesa MkV.
    I believe there'll be a DI set of captures of a Mesa Mark IIc+ coming out this week.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    PSA: Amalgam Captures are doing a promo: 3 for 2, 5 for 3 and 10 for 5.

I've got he Plexi, JT45, Blackface, V Super and Vox TB30 captures for the price of 3 (€45). Between 15 to 18 different tonal captures each, which is a lot. So far, I'm really enjoying the V Super and the Vox.
    ____
  • fnpt said:

I've got he Plexi, JT45, Blackface, V Super and Vox TB30 captures for the price of 3 (€45). Between 15 to 18 different tonal captures each, which is a lot. So far, I'm really enjoying the V Super and the Vox.
    You should check out the new Marshall Superbass captures they put up recently. They are amazing.
    fnpt said:

You should check out the new Marshall Superbass captures they put up recently. They are amazing.

That's exactly the Plexi model I got. Sounds good, but haven't had the time to explore it yet. The V Super, however, is the best Fender type capture I've tried. It's great. Tune your Tele to open G and it's instant Stones.
    ____
  • XOG, Amalgam and Matt fig are my favourite captures at the moment. Absolutely outstanding captures. 

New Vintage Audio I’ve been disappointed. Bought the AFD100 DI capture pack and they are some of the worst I’ve heard, absolute crap. 

It’s the same as with the QC that there are so many people charging for crap captures. 

I’ve captured my own Cornford MK50 last week and it’s unbelievable how good the ToneX captured it. The QC couldn’t get anywhere near it when I owned one 
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 107
    Mickeyji said:
    Right I’ve bought the Plexi pack from Amalgam and it’s like night and day now. These are really really good captures. They sound great through a power amp and cab setup. 

He has the Mesa MkV.
    I believe there'll be a DI set of captures of a Mesa Mark IIc+ coming out this week.
    Apparently it's the Essentials capture set of the Mk IIc+ that's being released, not the DI. Sorry about that.
    Is it possible to use the Boss GT1000 Core to control the Tonex via midi?

The idea is to change banks in the GT and simultaneously call out the corresponding capture in the Tonex, the question is that the Tonex captures are not in the same order as the presets in the GT. Is this possible or do I have to change the captures in the Tonex to follow the same order as the GT?
    ____
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    fnpt said:
    Is it possible to use the Boss GT1000 Core to control the Tonex via midi?

The idea is to change banks in the GT and simultaneously call out the corresponding capture in the Tonex, the question is that the Tonex captures are not in the same order as the presets in the GT. Is this possible or do I have to change the captures in the Tonex to follow the same order as the GT?
    On the GT-1000 you can send a a midi PC value on a patch change. You decide what value is sent to the Tonex, so it really shouldn't matter what order they are in. For example, GT-1000 patch 1 might send PC #3 and GT-1000 patch 2 might send PC#48. It's entirely configurable. The GT-1000 is actually a really good midi controller and can send via traditional 5-pin DIN or over USB.

It's all in the GT-1000 parameter guide on the Boss web site.

• fnpt said:

That's exactly the Plexi model I got. Sounds good, but haven't had the time to explore it yet. The V Super, however, is the best Fender type capture I've tried. It's great. Tune your Tele to open G and it's instant Stones.
    I downloaded the V Super the other night - not usually my type of amp by a long stretch. I spent a good hour with just this capture and had the most fun I’ve had on guitar in a while.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3162
    edited September 2023
    had mine 3 days... its going back it sounds tiny fizzy and weak and thats thro monitors/cab/FRFR.  Not impressed
  • had mine 3 days... its going back it sounds tiny fizzy and weak and thats thro monitors/cab/FRFR.  Not impressed
    Did you alter the input trim in the global settings?
  • had mine 3 days... its going back it sounds tiny fizzy and weak and thats thro monitors/cab/FRFR.  Not impressed
    I did but just didnt like the sound even then
    I did but just didnt like the sound even then
    If you were judging it on the factory captures on the device then I can totally understand your first impressions of it. The factory captures really don’t sound good. I thought the same as you. Then I started exploring ToneNet and found some really great captures from other users. Then I found Amalagam Audio captures and they were in a different league.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Plus 1 for Amalgam. Try a few of their free samples.
    I bet you connected via USB, opened up the software on your computer and then played, thinking it's really fizzy and shit sounding.  You are playing an amp (your Tonex Pedal) through an amp (in the software) resulting in a mess.  You need to bypass the pedal by pressing the active preset footswitch again.

This is all over the interwebs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sorbz62 said:
    had mine 3 days... its going back it sounds tiny fizzy and weak and thats thro monitors/cab/FRFR.  Not impressed
    I bet you connected via USB, opened up the software on your computer and then played, thinking it's really fizzy and shit sounding.  You are playing an amp (your Tonex Pedal) through an amp (in the software) resulting in a mess.  You need to bypass the pedal by pressing the active preset footswitch again.

This is all over the interwebs.
    sadly no i wasnt...but thanks
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter