Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited February 2023
    2 potential issues I see with this pedal:

i) You will need outboard effects. Something like an HXFX, HX stomp or TC plethora would do the trick.

ii) Since the TONEX has no loop you would need to put it in the loop of the multi fx unit. That could work pretty well, as you'd be able to send and receive midi to change patches  but programming might be a drag. Also, if you use the TONEX usb interface, then you would lose any post-fx. I guess you could just run all of the fx into the front, but I wish they had put a loop on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonP said:
    2 potential issues I see with this pedal:

i) You will need outboard effects. Something like an HXFX, HX stomp or TC plethora would do the trick.

ii) Since the TONEX has no loop you would need to put it in the loop of the multi fx unit. That could work pretty well, as you'd be able to send and receive midi to change patches  but programming might be a drag. Also, if you use the TONEX usb interface, then you would lose any post-fx. I guess you could just run all of the fx into the front, but I wish they had put a loop on it.
    ii) For me the no loop thing isn't a problem. You can just run all of your time based effects after the ToneX pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Definitely interested to hear your thoughts. I'm still using an Amplifire for modelling duties !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I cancelled my original Andertons order as the dispatch date kept slipping (Originally said Monday 20th, now says Friday 24th Feb).
    I've now ordered it from GuitarGuitar as they have it in stock. All being well I should have it on Wednesday.
    Do you know when they’re getting it in? I preordered last week - they suddenly had 9 in stock on the homepage today (first time) but that was down very quickly, I assume fulfilling preorders before mine…
  • I cancelled my original Andertons order as the dispatch date kept slipping (Originally said Monday 20th, now says Friday 24th Feb).
    I've now ordered it from GuitarGuitar as they have it in stock. All being well I should have it on Wednesday.
    Do you know when they’re getting it in? I preordered last week - they suddenly had 9 in stock on the homepage today (first time) but that was down very quickly, I assume fulfilling preorders before mine…
    When I placed my original order I was told mine would be in the 2nd batch which was originally due tomorrow. That has since slipped to Friday. Guitarguitar have them in stock now. 
    When I placed my original order I was told mine would be in the 2nd batch which was originally due tomorrow. That has since slipped to Friday. Guitarguitar have them in stock now. 
    Sorry mate, meant to say I was referring to guitarguitar all along. No stock showed apart from a very brief window this afternoon.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1030
    edited February 2023
    I cancelled my original Andertons order as the dispatch date kept slipping (Originally said Monday 20th, now says Friday 24th Feb).
    Sorry mate, meant to say I was referring to guitarguitar all along. No stock showed apart from a very brief window this afternoon.
    I ordered mine at 4:26pm and at that time the website said there was 9+ in stock.
    I ordered mine at 4:26pm and at that time the website said there was 9+ in stock.
    Yeah, exactly what I saw. I think we might be waiting slightly longer (although hoping the orders that came in are ours and currently being sorted)
    Yeah, exactly what I saw. I think we might be waiting slightly longer (although hoping the orders that came in are ours and currently being sorted)
    So I checked with Guitarguitar this morning via their live chat function. The person I spoke to confirmed that stock had been allocated to my order and it would be shipped today for delivery to me tomorrow. Happy days
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited February 2023
    A question for you chaps and excuse my ignorance - if someone had their favourite plug in sounds e.g. Scuffham stuff, could they profile and transfer those to the pedal for live use?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    allen said:
    I don't think it really needs a loop.

pedals (e.g. overdrive) --> tonex (including cab sim) --> time/mod pedals --> amplification (pa/frfr/headphones)

or as someone just said, put it in the loop of a multifx box and route it at will. 

A loop is to put time/mod effects after preamp but before power amplification. There isn't any power amplification in this afaik.

Also why the blackstar amped 1 needs a loop.

There are a couple of issues.

If you want to use the onboard reverb it means your delay and modulation has to go after the reverb which will sound weird. 

Also it means you won't be able to use your additional pedals if you want to use the headphone out.
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 214
    Kebabkid said:
    A question for you chaps and excuse my ignorance - if someone had their favourite plug in sounds e.g. Scuffham stuff, could they profile and transfer those to the pedal for live use?

According to the SOS review which I am quoting below, it's a YES!!

SOS Review said

The approach to capturing and reproducing your sound is underpinned by machine learning, and Tonex aims to capture the sound of any amp or cabinet, either miked or direct from the amplifier output, the latter option enabling the user to team their amp with different AmpliTube cabinet emulations, of course. For the capture process, you can run Tonex with a simple two‑in, two‑out audio interface, though the routing may be easier if your interface has four or more outputs; I used my PreSonus Studio 192 interface for the review tests. IK’s AXE I/O would be a good option too, and has the benefit of a dedicated Amp Out, while the company’s optional Tonex Capture box makes the task even easier: it connects to the output of your usual audio interface to act as a re‑amping box, so as to feed the test signals into the guitar amp at the right level and impedance, and its return stage is designed to be inserted between the amp and its speaker cabinet so as to capture the amplifier output (but not the speaker) at a suitable level for recording, without changing the way the amp and speaker interact. (Note that Tonex Capture isn’t a load box, so a speaker or dummy load still needs to be connected in this scenario.)

If you prefer to capture the whole amp/speaker chain, using your favourite cabinet mic and miking position, you can do that too. The process can also capture the sound of some types of effects pedal, though not all. For example, fuzz, distortion, overdrive and EQ can be captured as Tone Models, either individually or as part of a longer signal chain including the amp, but time‑variant effects such as echo, reverb, granular weirdness, expansion and modulation can’t be replicated. (Once in the software domain, of course, there are plenty of other plug‑ins you can turn to for that sort of thing.)

Click here for my Trading Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    Yes, profiling/capturing plugins is also possible. At least with the Kemper, this rarely sounds/reacts the same way as the original though.
    So I checked with Guitarguitar this morning via their live chat function. The person I spoke to confirmed that stock had been allocated to my order and it would be shipped today for delivery to me tomorrow. Happy days
    ah cool, nice one. I'm hopefully in the same boat then. 
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    susbemol said:
    Already did that when it first launched. It seemed ok but I preferred my Kemper.

It is possible they have better captures available now.
    Ok, just spent some more time with TONEX MAX (which should sound the same as the standalone pedal) and there seems to be so much more top quality stuff available now. I can't imagine anyone not being able to find some really useful tones for them.

It's a great age for the modern guitarist!
    You might want to check - I used the chat today as my order hadn’t been updated all day and was told I was 2nd in line for one of the next shipment due in the next 1-2 weeks (and I ordered on 16th). With a bit of luck you’ve got lucky and jumped the queue somehow, fingers crossed! Doesn’t make much difference to me as I wouldn’t get a chance to use it even if I had one until next week now.
    allen said:
    I don't think it really needs a loop.

pedals (e.g. overdrive) --> tonex (including cab sim) --> time/mod pedals --> amplification (pa/frfr/headphones)

or as someone just said, put it in the loop of a multifx box and route it at will. 

A loop is to put time/mod effects after preamp but before power amplification. There isn't any power amplification in this afaik.

Also why the blackstar amped 1 needs a loop.

There are a couple of issues.

If you want to use the onboard reverb it means your delay and modulation has to go after the reverb which will sound weird. 

Also it means you won't be able to use your additional pedals if you want to use the headphone out.
    ...or the inbuilt interface
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    PFAllen2 said:
    Kebabkid said:

According to the SOS review which I am quoting below, it's a YES!!

SOS Review said

The approach to capturing and reproducing your sound is underpinned by machine learning, and Tonex aims to capture the sound of any amp or cabinet, either miked or direct from the amplifier output, the latter option enabling the user to team their amp with different AmpliTube cabinet emulations, of course. For the capture process, you can run Tonex with a simple two‑in, two‑out audio interface, though the routing may be easier if your interface has four or more outputs; I used my PreSonus Studio 192 interface for the review tests. IK’s AXE I/O would be a good option too, and has the benefit of a dedicated Amp Out, while the company’s optional Tonex Capture box makes the task even easier: it connects to the output of your usual audio interface to act as a re‑amping box, so as to feed the test signals into the guitar amp at the right level and impedance, and its return stage is designed to be inserted between the amp and its speaker cabinet so as to capture the amplifier output (but not the speaker) at a suitable level for recording, without changing the way the amp and speaker interact. (Note that Tonex Capture isn’t a load box, so a speaker or dummy load still needs to be connected in this scenario.)

If you prefer to capture the whole amp/speaker chain, using your favourite cabinet mic and miking position, you can do that too. The process can also capture the sound of some types of effects pedal, though not all. For example, fuzz, distortion, overdrive and EQ can be captured as Tone Models, either individually or as part of a longer signal chain including the amp, but time‑variant effects such as echo, reverb, granular weirdness, expansion and modulation can’t be replicated. (Once in the software domain, of course, there are plenty of other plug‑ins you can turn to for that sort of thing.)

Thanks @PFAllen2 and @susbemol and good to know
  • IVibetronic said:
    I cancelled my original Andertons order as the dispatch date kept slipping (Originally said Monday 20th, now says Friday 24th Feb).
    You might want to check - I used the chat today as my order hadn’t been updated all day and was told I was 2nd in line for one of the next shipment due in the next 1-2 weeks (and I ordered on 16th). With a bit of luck you’ve got lucky and jumped the queue somehow, fingers crossed! Doesn’t make much difference to me as I wouldn’t get a chance to use it even if I had one until next week now.
     I’ve had confirmation via email that mine has shipped.
  • IVibetronic said:
     I’ve had confirmation via email that mine has shipped.
    Ha! That’s actually very funny. I never pre-order stuff but I thought just this once….but no, denied! Very interested to hear how you find it. 
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 48
    edited February 2023
    I'm super excited to get my hands on one of these! And I don't think there's a need to worry about not having an effects loop or about needing a cab less output. It’s wouldn't be possible to unless there are multiple captures (preamp, poweramp and cab/mic) so the loop could go between the preamp and power amp capture. Which I guess would be difficult to achieve and expensive processing wise?

Kemper doesn’t offer this (I don’t think) and with the QC most captures are end to end. Or just preamp that are intended for the user to go into a real amp and cab. 

Even with modellers (helix, fractal, etc) where you have the ability to place anything where you want, a lot of patches I’ve seen built have the time, mod, rev blocks after the cab. 

It’s much like the traditional recording process with an amp - drives and frontend effects, amp, cab then mic’d and recorded into daw/multi track. With post effects like comp, modulation, delay and reverb added via the daw or studio outboard.

And a cabless output would mean the capture would also need to be done in two steps 1) amp 2) Cab/mic so it could be split.

So if the captures are as good as everyone seems to be saying, particularly in feel and responsiveness then this going to be great, particularly at the price point.
  • I managed to get a spare half an hour earlier today. So I only managed to scroll through the first 10 or so banks of presets on the Tonex pedal.

Just going off the stock presets I’m not impressed at all. Most of them have either far too much gain, or far too much reverb. Plus I didn’t really find anything that I liked tone wise, even taking the reverb off. 

I don’t like the clunky switches, trying to hit 2 at the same time to go up/down banks is less than ideal. The UI is also clunky and not really intuitive to get around.

So after the initial excitement it’s been a bit of a let down for me.

I’m sending it back. Firstly because I realised I really don’t have the time or the patience to scroll through 1000’s of captures trying to find something I like. I had the same issue when I had a Kemper. Secondly I turned on my Bluguitar Amp1 rig for comparison (I run it into a Captor x reactive load then into my studio monitors) and it was instant happiness. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I managed to get a spare half an hour earlier today. So I only managed to scroll through the first 10 or so banks of presets on the Tonex pedal.

Just going off the stock presets I’m not impressed at all. Most of them have either far too much gain, or far too much reverb. Plus I didn’t really find anything that I liked tone wise, even taking the reverb off. 

I don’t like the clunky switches, trying to hit 2 at the same time to go up/down banks is less than ideal. The UI is also clunky and not really intuitive to get around.

I’m sending it back. Firstly because I realised I really don’t have the time or the patience to scroll through 1000’s of captures trying to find something I like. I had the same issue when I had a Kemper. Secondly I turned on my Bluguitar Amp1 rig for comparison (I run it into a Captor x reactive load then into my studio monitors) and it was instant happiness. 

Thanks. Disappointing but thanks for blazing the trail. What are you using now for modelling?
  • NelsonP said:
    I managed to get a spare half an hour earlier today. So I only managed to scroll through the first 10 or so banks of presets on the Tonex pedal.

Thanks. Disappointing but thanks for blazing the trail. What are you using now for modelling?
    Not using any modelling gear. I just have the Bluguitar amp1 rig as mentioned above.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader

In fairness I've never tried a multi FX where the stock patches aren't totally balls.

• Just going off the stock presets I’m not impressed at all. Most of them have either far too much gain, or far too much reverb. Plus I didn’t really find anything that I liked tone wise, even taking the reverb off. 

In fairness I've never tried a multi FX where the stock patches aren't totally balls.
    Yes I agree with the exception of the newer Fractal stock presets as they are excellent.
    On other modelers most of the stock presets are crap, but I can normally find a select few I can work with.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    One of these and one of the pedalboard amps (AMP1, Amped etc) would be a powerful.and portable thing. 

If I understand it right one could even profile something in Helix Native and put that in the Tonex? 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • I managed to get a spare half an hour earlier today. So I only managed to scroll through the first 10 or so banks of presets on the Tonex pedal.

That’s nowhere near an adequate time to give it a fair shake in my opinion. I don’t really like any of the IK captures but there is a ton of great stuff on ToneNet, you’ve just got to do a bit of digging. It’s pretty similar to the Kemper in that regard. 

The Studio Rats and Tone Junkie free captures are pretty decent to start with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited February 2023
    Zapple said:
    I'm super excited to get my hands on one of these! And I don't think there's a need to worry about not having an effects loop or about needing a cab less output. It’s wouldn't be possible to unless there are multiple captures (preamp, poweramp and cab/mic) so the loop could go between the preamp and power amp capture. Which I guess would be difficult to achieve and expensive processing wise?

Kemper doesn’t offer this (I don’t think) and with the QC most captures are end to end. Or just preamp that are intended for the user to go into a real amp and cab. 

Even with modellers (helix, fractal, etc) where you have the ability to place anything where you want, a lot of patches I’ve seen built have the time, mod, rev blocks after the cab. 

It’s much like the traditional recording process with an amp - drives and frontend effects, amp, cab then mic’d and recorded into daw/multi track. With post effects like comp, modulation, delay and reverb added via the daw or studio outboard.

And a cabless output would mean the capture would also need to be done in two steps 1) amp 2) Cab/mic so it could be split.
    For me the fx loop would be more to allow use of the built in headphone output and interface without additional gear after the pedal, I like to keep my setups simple and self contained! Helix doesn't have separate pre/power either but delay sounds so much better after the amp or cab blocks than going into the front end unless you're going for a specific noisy sound which is nice sometimes.

Everything I've heard from the Tonex is great so far so I will probably try one at some point. The difficulty for me is vetting the captures, how do you know if someone has captured something well and accurately. Also I've got the free Tonex software to try it but I'm finding it a fiddly process to load new captures into it via Tonenet.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 273
    edited February 2023
    I have nothing to add to this thread except I keep reading TONEX as TONEZ as in \w/ \w/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter