Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    There's 2 decent demos by Paul Drew of The Studio Rats - one's an overview from 8 days ago and first impressions and the other is a day old and he demonstrates the Tonex on a pedalboard with ODs, boosts etc..

Note: He's not using any of the company's amps on the second video as he's captured the profiles of his expensive amps, like his Matchless and he's made them available on IK Multimedia's sharing site.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    I bought Amplitube 5 MAX on a deal recently and it came with the basic version of Amplitube Tonex, which has 20 rigs in it - it’s really a player for free and chargeable sounds.

I haven’t really dug into the Tonenet side yet, but I had a look earlier and I liked that you can audition the sounds right from the website. It seems they have standard “dry” tracks that they run through each model when you click play, so that you can compare like for like. That’s a nice touch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    TGP has 2 separate threads on this pedal. Around 200 pages worth of comments so far. 

I guess we're not quite as excitable!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonP said:
    TGP has 2 separate threads on this pedal. Around 200 pages worth of comments so far. 

I guess we're not quite as excitable!
    I still have mine. It hasn't gone back yet.
    I decided I would give it another shot.
    After navigating IK Multimedia's horrendous registration process and software downloads, I have finally began to find some good sounds on ToneNet from other users.
    Similar story with every modeller it seems. Takes time to figure out how to get the best from them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So I'm starting to get somewhere with this now. I've purchased some third party captures/presets (Big Hairy Profiles / J Sadites) and they sound excellent.
    I'm accessing the software using my Mac and as its an older machine. I can't access the modeller section in the Tonex software as you need to be running Big Sur at a minimum.
    It's not really causing me an issue but it's something to be aware of.

There are some really great amp captures on the Tonenet community as well, inc the Paul Drew from the Studio Rats Matchless amp. I'm looking at a couple of other pedals to compliment the tonex pedal. I'm going to purchase a boost to go in the front end and a delay on the back end.

What I will say is the low end is very natural sounding on this unit. A lot of other modellers seem to over exaggerate the low end which makes a lot of the amp sims unusable in a live environment without judicious low and high cuts. Amps that have been captured well by the users don't require any drastic cuts to sound good and sit well in a mix.

After I registered the pedal I realised there was really no turning back with regards sending it back or possibly selling it on. I don't think IK multimedia make it very easy when transferring software licenses with hardware products. There are threads on TGP detailing this. 

I'm actually pleased I persevered with it now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    Just got mine this morning, thankfully on a day where I have a bit of time to use it. Morning slightly spoilt by the cat pissing on our recycling in the kitchen so didn't get to it for a while though. First thoughts - sounds great, some awesome sounds that are useable straightaway. Bit noisy but not bothered about that. Haven't got a clue re the Tonex software or Amplitude yet - I'm actually going to have to read the instructions with this one, although I have got the USB link to the Tonex app working, just haven't got a clue what to do with it yet. I think I'll just need a delay pedal to stick with it and I'm good. Haven't ventured onto Tonenet yet. All in all - sounds great, but the online/app side of things isn't quite as intuitive as I'd like, but that's fine, just me being impatient!
  • Just got mine yesterday and had an hour or so in the evening to play. Not got the software yet as waiting for a new laptop to arrive, but there are some good usable tones on the stock presets. I play metal and there is quite a few high gain presets to keep me going until I get software set up. Was quite easy to work as well with just a quick flick through the quick start guide.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Chris in the office has got one of these, the capturing amps if straight forward, but more importantly you can also capture other digital amp profiles, so UA demo products can be captured and then shared freely as no one "owns" the tone.
    Bring on the free tone captured libraries.

This is great for guitarists, but I think unlocking all this potential will speed up the race to the bottom for digital guitar gear. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 136
    I’ve had my pedal for about a week now and gigged it at the weekend in the FX loop of my HX Stomp into a Headrush 108. For me a definite improvement over the HX alone. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Interesting comparison between the three profiling capture devices - the null tests from 20mins onwards show a large difference.

Real Amp vs TONEX vs Kemper vs Quad Cortex Comparison - YouTube

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JotaJota Frets: 449
    I’ve had my pedal for about a week now and gigged it at the weekend in the FX loop of my HX Stomp into a Headrush 108. For me a definite improvement over the HX alone. 

What amps were you using on the Stomp and what are you using now?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    mrkb said:
    Interesting comparison between the three profiling capture devices - the null tests from 20mins onwards show a large difference.

On the null test I'd like to have heard him flip the real amp signal against itself just to show how little/much the software was creating differences. The TONEX was a clear winner very impressive.
    in the HX, the Matchless DC30 is my go to amp model and use one of the fs to switch between Ch1 and Ch2 on my main patch. In the Tonex I’m also using a Matchless Independence 35 as well as the Dumble from IK, Tone Junkies AC30. There is just so much choice though and I enjoy browsing Tone Net and hearing peoples captures
    Nikc said:
    mrkb said:

On the null test I'd like to have heard him flip the real amp signal against itself just to show how little/much the software was creating differences. The TONEX was a clear winner very impressive.
    Yes, this is pretty amazing
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    in the HX, the Matchless DC30 is my go to amp model and use one of the fs to switch between Ch1 and Ch2 on my main patch. In the Tonex I’m also using a Matchless Independence 35 as well as the Dumble from IK, Tone Junkies AC30. There is just so much choice though and I enjoy browsing Tone Net and hearing peoples captures
    @Bob_Gnarly ;
    Can you try out people’s captured tones on Tone Net with your guitar before you decide to download the tone?
    @duotone you can browse the tone net models like normal presets and download any you like
  • JotaJota Frets: 449

So you had two amp blocks on the same preset?
    @duotone you can browse the tone net models like normal presets and download any you like
    @Bob_Gnarly ;
    On Line6 Customtone you cannot hear what the tone sounds like until you actually download it. There are no previews/ways to listen to the tones.  
    https://line6.com/customtone/browse/helix/

Is that the same with Tone Net?
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    You can preview any tones by clicking on them within the TONEX app/plugin to have a play or listen to an audio clip by clicking the "play" button. You can even have a listen on their website as well: https://www.tone.net/tonex
    Thanks! @susbemol ;

edited March 2023
    duotone said:
    @Bob_Gnarly ;;
    On Line6 Customtone you cannot hear what the tone sounds like until you actually download it. There are no previews/ways to listen to the tones.  https://line6.com/customtone/browse/helix/

Is that the same with Tone Net?
    Apologies my response was not clear but simply put you can audition in app and online as susbemol says
    Jota said:

So you had two amp blocks on the same preset?
    Yup. Matchstick Ch1 & Ch2 set to switch on a single footswitch press. Can’t take credit for it. Think it’s a Jon Cordy preset
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1030
    edited March 2023
    Paul Drew from the Studio Rats has just released his 1st capture pack for Tonex. Only £10.

https://www.thestudiorats.net/downloads/
  • So after using the pedal for a few weeks the biggest tip I can give to any users is to set the Input Trim in the global menu to -10.

I was getting frustrated with the sound of the majority of the Tone models, mainly as a lot of them had far too much gain. I mainly use my PRS DGT SE which has low output pickups. This guitar seemed to be overloading the pedal, especially in the lower frequencies.

I actually asked a vendor of 3rd party tone model’s regarding this. They actually went away and did some play tests. They came back to me and confirmed for their tone models to sound accurate they recommend setting the input trim to -10.

I imagine that this is the case for the majority of tone models on ToneNet and all other 3rd party tone models.

It makes a huge difference and I really think that IK Multimedia should mention this in the manual.
  • So after using the pedal for a few weeks the biggest tip I can give to any users is to set the Input Trim in the global menu to -10.

I was getting frustrated with the sound of the majority of the Tone models, mainly as a lot of them had far too much gain. I mainly use my PRS DGT SE which has low output pickups. This guitar seemed to be overloading the pedal, especially in the lower frequencies.

I actually asked a vendor of 3rd party tone model’s regarding this. They actually went away and did some play tests. They came back to me and confirmed for their tone models to sound accurate they recommend setting the input trim to -10.

I imagine that this is the case for the majority of tone models on ToneNet and all other 3rd party tone models.

It makes a huge difference and I really think that IK Multimedia should mention this in the manual.
    Nice one, I'll give that a try. Cheers
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    I’m sure this has been answered but looking to pick one of these up as they’re so cheap and create a pedalboard rig. With no loop, how can I put effects after the amps and still either use headphones or go to a desk/FOH? 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    I don't think you can. I've ordered one and will integrate it in my pedalboard with delay after the Tonex but then into my Focusrite. My concern is that it will ad a bit of latency but we'll see.

Another option is to put it in the loop of a multi Fx such as the HX.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    @JohnCordy Here's a stupid question that maybe you can help me with. I've just received the Tonex pedal and when I connect it to the plug in on the PC I get both the sounds of the plug in and the pedal. I've searched everywhere but cannot find the solution for this.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1030
    edited April 2023
    fnpt said:
    @JohnCordy Here's a stupid question that maybe you can help me with. I've just received the Tonex pedal and when I connect it to the plug in on the PC I get both the sounds of the plug in and the pedal. I've searched everywhere but cannot find the solution for this.
    Make sure the pedal is in interface mode. Make sure the switches on the pedal are all off.