Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). You can't play bass.... underrated bass players - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

You can't play bass.... underrated bass players

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BorkBork Frets: 231
    edited July 2023
    ICBM said:
    Adam Clayton. He’s not only essential to U2 and his bass parts are the perfect example of playing for the song, he’s actively put down by bass snobs. He has great timing, feel and tone.

John Taylor used to be as well, but is now more recognised as the brilliant bassist he is. Bernard Edwards rated him highly, what more do you need?

Nick Beggs too, but I think a bit more recognised as good. Fun fact - I used to own his MXR chorus pedal, quite likely used on Too Shy . A friend has it now…
    Adam Clayton's parts in the earlier U2 stuff like New Years Day are absolutely the glue that holds everything else together.  They're almost keyboard like in that sense. I dunno if he wrote the lines or whether The Edge told him what to play but it works, no question.  

I dunno about John Taylor.  He had a massive confidence crisis while recording Notorious which Bernard coached him through but his bass parts have been parodied since because he uses pretty much the same lines on a number of songs. 

Nick Beggs is a self possessed man.  Unquestionably talented and totally in His Zone doing His Thing.  But largely over looked because of precisely that.   Over the years he seems to have deployed an American career development strategy in a culture which finds such strident non conformity a little threatening.  Therefore, he's probably in the wrong country but I absolutely enjoyed watching him on Bands Reunited with the reforming of Kajagoogoo. 

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Gonna throw my hat in the ring here:  

Herbie Flowers. 

Living UK bass legend - upright, tuba and electric. Can read bass clef like the back of his hand. Never ending source of hilarious anecdotes once you push past the Lou Reed thing.  Has been on so many classic british albums and played with pretty much everyone of note in the seventies and eighties.   Should be far more wealthier than he actually is.  Also helped set up BIMM.  

Shoot me down.

Also honourable mention to the recently deceased Mo Foster - was touring with Phil Collins before Phil took the leap overseas.  Was also with Jeff Beck and countless others in the mid 70's and early 80's.  Also played fretless bass on the Bergerac theme.  Such a lovely lovely gentleman in real life as well.  

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    jdgm said:
    Ron Wood on the 1st 2 Jeff Beck LPs.

;)
    And on Maggie May.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Possibly not that well known around here, but a recent addition to my fave bassists is Jon Poole. I'm a big fan of the prog band Lifesigns and his playing for them is superb. One of the things I like about prog - very prominent bass playing. 

If anyone can be bothered, you can hear his great bass playing right from the start of this demo of their last album.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited July 2023
    Mick Karn.  Loved his fretless sound.

Jimmy Dewar.  Great bassist as well as having a stellar voice.

RIP both :-(

* EDIT - Duck Dunn.  RIP all three.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    munckee said:
    Kim Deal for me.  She freely admits to being a very basic level bass player so she consciously didn’t over play and the result were seriously cool bass lines which drove the pixies sound. 
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ox22j
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    Andy Rourke 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    Gaye Advert

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    DonnyMac said:
    Yolanda Charles, Session player and past member of Paul Weller's band. I think she's playing with Squeeze currently.  
    Not to mention being in Hans Zimmer's film orchestra with Guthrie!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    From when I played bass (badly) in the 80's - Les Pattinson and Andy Rourke.

More recently, maybe Steve Garrington.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Michael League. 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
    Chris Glen for his work with SAHB in tandem with Ted McKenna on drums, underpinned the whole enterprise magnificently. 
    Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right