Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). You can't play bass.... underrated bass players - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

You can't play bass.... underrated bass players

What's Hot
What say you?

Nick Beggs for me, hugely underrated IMO, maybe something to do with the era/genre he's most known for...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Kim Deal for me.  She freely admits to being a very basic level bass player so she consciously didn’t over play and the result were seriously cool bass lines which drove the pixies sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Adam Clayton. Keeps it simple a lot of the time because that's all the songs need.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Adam Clayton. Keeps it simple a lot of the time because that's all the songs need.
    Absolutely .... he is the driving force of that band. The sonic imprint of a band IS the bass and drums. People think all you have to do is play as tight as possible to the drummer and that's enough but it's actually the way the bass and drums play together in the own way with those small deviations that create something special. Something you can't create just by quantising the bass to the drums .... it's a human thing and Adam if fantastic at it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Danny1969 said:
    Absolutely .... he is the driving force of that band. The sonic imprint of a band IS the bass and drums. People think all you have to do is play as tight as possible to the drummer and that's enough but it's actually the way the bass and drums play together in the own way with those small deviations that create something special. Something you can't create just by quantising the bass to the drums .... it's a human thing and Adam if fantastic at it. 
    Completely agree. And frankly Edge is the also much more locked in with those two than in most bands. It's why so many people covering them sound awful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    What say you?

Nick Beggs for me, hugely underrated IMO, maybe something to do with the era/genre he's most known for...
    He's not underrated by bass players!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Adam Clayton. He’s not only essential to U2 and his bass parts are the perfect example of playing for the song, he’s actively put down by bass snobs. He has great timing, feel and tone.

John Taylor used to be as well, but is now more recognised as the brilliant bassist he is. Bernard Edwards rated him highly, what more do you need?

Nick Beggs too, but I think a bit more recognised as good. Fun fact - I used to own his MXR chorus pedal, quite likely used on Too Shy :). A friend has it now…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 560
    John Taylor? Because Duran Duran were portrayed as pretty boys rather than musicians. Maybe the same goes for Martin Kemp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Chris Squire - only prog fans and bass players know him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited January 2023
    prowla said:
    Consistently in the top-5s of "best bassist" lists though. Also prog is rubbish :P 

(and surely the only bassists non-musos know are McCartney and Flea)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    What say you?

Underrated?????? I think not!

Nick is massively rated. He won Classic rock society's best bassist for (at least!) 4 years in a row. Has played on many acclaimed albums with many acclaimed artists. Is one of the Prog icons of bass playing. Take a look at this Farcebook video (if it works). Nick being a nutcase as usual!

https://www.facebook.com/nickbeggsofficial/videos/560891637763808
  • Horace Panter 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Danny Thompson (and the inimitable "Victoria").
    Be seeing you.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    DonnyMac said:
    Horace Panter 
    I was just about to mention him.
    Saw a recent Specials concert on TV (following Terry Hall's death) and my jaw dropped. I had no idea UK ska was so demanding bass wise (I'll add the guy out of Madness as well).
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I was listening to some ZZ Top on the way in to work this morning and it struck that Dusty Hill had a thunderous bottom end (fnarr). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Geezer Butler.  An absolutely ferocious playing style, with a sense of timing and harmony which was essential to the sound of Black Sabbath.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    Under-rated is a difficult term, but almost unrated- I'd mention Pat Badger of Extreme. Keeping up with Nuno in terms of all those unison riffs is no easy feat but there are a few great basslines amongst all the riffs. 

Cupid's Dead comes to mind, also tragic comic- Which is a wonderfully simple major triad riff over 4 chords but works brilliantly
  • John Deacon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    DonnyMac said:
    Horace Panter 
    and can I add Mark Bedford of Madness.

Guy Pratt of Pink Floyd
  • Love a bit of Billy Talbot from Crazy Horse , loose , laid back and lovely tone
  • Kebabkid said:
    Guy Pratt of Pink Floyd
    breakstuff said on 'the perfect pop song' thread:
    MrTee said:
    Whatever it is, it's probably on Madonna's 'immaculate collection '
    Yep, that would be Like a Prayer.
    ;)
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited January 2023
    Peter Hook
    I don't how good he is technically, but he was a huge innovator.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    If you like relentless quavers, (not the crispy snack made first by Smith's and now by Walkers, but the 8th note variety) then I recommend Dee Dee Ramone, who could easily play his way out of a plastic bag. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    Eric A from Janes Addiction. Played some really memorable bass parts and never overplayed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Jimmy Bain. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I’m a big fan of Horace. He was the only consistent figure in every line up of The Specials, his occasional blogs on Facebook are well worth a read and he likes our James Oliver. Horace was in General Public who were pretty successful in the USA in the 80s although never really took off here. A General Public album sleeve makes an appearance in Weird Science. He did some gigs with Hollie Cook whom I’m a bit of a fan boy for including her appearance on Later, never been able to find that on YouTube. 

Redlester said:
    Jimmy Bain. 
    Watching the Dio documentary and reading between the lines Jimmy was a big part of Ronnie’s career and co-wrote a lot with him as well as delivering all those basslines. He seems to be a semi forgotten figure but appears on the credits to some mahoosive rock tracks. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Steve Hanley
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192

JJ Burnel
    Norman Watt-Roy

Two of the greatest.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    prowla said:
    Consistently in the top-5s of "best bassist" lists though. Also prog is rubbish :P 

(and surely the only bassists non-musos know are McCartney and Flea)
    Charles Mingus
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Does anyone talk about Andy Rourke? He was pretty nimble

I saw Blur do a warm-up for their Glastonbury comeback at Rough Trade East and I was really impressed with Alex James. He was basically improvising the whole time, and not once did he look down at his hands. Very busy but always appropriate