Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). You can't play bass.... underrated bass players - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

You can't play bass.... underrated bass players

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192

One more from me

The exquisite George Murray

Putting the M in the fabled D.A.M rhythm trio.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    prowla said:
    Chris Squire - only prog fans and bass players know him.
    Consistently in the top-5s of "best bassist" lists though. Also prog is rubbish :P 

(and surely the only bassists non-musos know are McCartney and Flea)
    and Sting.

Basically anyone who is the lead singer or walks on stage with a sock on his cock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    John Deacon
    Not remotely underrated. Just not well known by the public.

He's awesome.
    Gassage said:

JJ Burnel
    Norman Watt-Roy

Two of the greatest.

This is another post showing what a minefield the word 'underrated' is.

Bass players know of these amazing players. Quite a few guitarists do. And not many of the non-playing public.
    Are they underrated if bassists know how good they are but the public has never heard of them?

It wouldn't surprise me if some Beatles fans, particularly younger ones, would be surprised to discover that PM not only played bass as well as sings, but is a damn fine bassist.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    James Jamerson, bassist on most of the Motown hits of the 1960s and early 1970s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Litterick said:
    James Jamerson, bassist on most of the Motown hits of the 1960s and early 1970s.

Underrated?

In its special issue "The 100 Greatest Bass Players" in 2017, Bass Player magazine ranked Jamerson number one and the most influential bass guitarist. In 2020, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Jamerson number one in its list of the 50 greatest bassists of all time.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gassage said:

JJ Burnel
    Norman Watt-Roy

Two of the greatest.
    But not underrated. These lists of "underrated" players always end up as just lists of people's favourite players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John Deacon

He's awesome.
    The same public who rave about Freddie and Brian? Hence ‘underrated’.

John Deacon

He's awesome.
    The same public who rave about Freddie and Brian? Hence ‘underrated’.
    Is unknown by the public the same as being underrated?

Is a heart surgeon, rated the best by his peers actually underrated because the public couldn't name him?

I don't think those things are the same at all. Otherwise the worst player on earth who happens to be well known by non-musos would be 'rated'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pete Trewavas.  Mostly unknown - largely unpronounceable.  Massively talented.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Ciarán Brennan
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    fretmeister said:

Otherwise the worst player on earth who happens to be well known by non-musos would be 'rated'.
    That’s Sid Vicious.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    edited January 2023
    Adam “MCA” Yauch, without a doubt.

Amazing lines, but seldom spoken about as a bassist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Squarepusher.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Gerry McAvoy.

Good enough for Rory for who knows how many years. 
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 119
    Litterick said:
    This. I mean he's pretty widely known, but a lot of people don't realise how essential his bass parts were to the Motown sound. 
    My trading feedback thread
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 967
    edited January 2023
    Leroy Hodges.

One of three Hodges brothers in the Hi Records house band in Memphis, he played on most of the classic Ann Peebles and Al Green cuts plus hundreds of tracks by Otis Clay, OV Wright, Syl Johnson, Willie Mitchell, Little Milton, Jimmy McCracklin, Otis Rush, Rufus Thomas, Robert Cray, Sheryl Crow, Sam Moore, Paul Rodgers...

Wonderful soulful player, nearer the simplicity of Dunn than the overt cleverness of Jamerson. 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    edited January 2023
    Post-nose job (ie solo) Sting irritates me on virtually every level but listening to his wonderfully subtle bass line on ‘Brand New Day’ reminds me he’s a great musician…
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    Ron Wood on the 1st 2 Jeff Beck LPs.

;)
    Leisceoir said:
    Litterick said:
    This. I mean he's pretty widely known, but a lot of people don't realise how essential his bass parts were to the Motown sound. 
    Bass players do - he literally comes within the top 3 of every single poll and has done for decades. Jaco being one of the others, and then the flavour of the week in the other slot, if it's not Geddy Lee / Claypool / Wooten / Sheehan etc.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited January 2023
    jdgm said:
    Ron Wood on the 1st 2 Jeff Beck LPs.

He's not underrated as a bass player though. In fact, he's renowned as someone who can turn his hands to most guitar-like stringed instruments – including pedal steel – and play them to a very high standard. Wood played bass quite a lot early on in his career.

An example of an underrated bass player might be Noel Redding. Nowadays he is often seen as the chippy weak link in the Jimi Hendrix Experience and most fans of Jimi tend to favour Billy Cox but I think the criticism is way overdone. Hendrix was very driven and if he hadn't rated Redding, he wouldn't have kept him in the band for three albums and endless touring over three years. By 1969, Hendrix had been broadening his horizons and experimenting with other musicians but, as far as I know, Redding leaving the band was his own decision and not something Hendrix asked for. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited January 2023
    Another couple-

The incredible Erdal Kizilcay and the amazing Armand Sabel-Lecco

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited January 2023
    Another huge vote for Sting here.

I saw him live on Friday. I'm not a massive fan by any means, but it was phenomenal. Utterly fabulous groove throughout while singing for 90+ minutes. Another one of those bassists who doesn't do anything flashy but everything he writes is just perfect for the song - if you change anything it completely changes the vibe. 

(and seriously - who here has mastered singing while playing bass? It's brutally hard!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Steve Queralt and Ben Shepherd 
  • Another one that was a big influence on me and again probably appreciated by bass players rather than the wider musical community is Bruce Thomas of the Attractions. Terrific player.
  • tina weymouth (talking heads)
     paul webb (talk talk)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• Yolanda Charles, Session player and past member of Paul Weller's band. I think she's playing with Squeeze currently.  
  • At least outside the boundaries of hardcore punk scene

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    At least outside the boundaries of hardcore punk scene

I never knew Gazza played bass. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DonnyMac said:
    Yolanda Charles, Session player and past member of Paul Weller's band. I think she's playing with Squeeze currently.  
    I suspect keen bassists will know of Yolanda but certainly not a well known name. If anyone doesn't know who she is go watch her interview with Andertons and have your jaw drop as she goes through her CV. 
    I think just playing in her own project now and teaching, stopped being a side person. I did go to the short workshop she did at the Guitar Show a few years ago which was enlightening. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break.