Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). "Couch" acoustic - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

"Couch" acoustic

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Dave_Mc said:
    Is anyone else having trouble seeing the pics apart from Bertie?
    I'm just on my laptop and the pics are showing up fine.

Really nice boat and guitar :D 
    Same and same.

I sort of like the idea of living a narrowboat, just not on the water. Is humidity an issue with guitars on boats?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    still cant see bugger all,  (I can see the collings and the blueridge ??!?)   same thing happened the other day someone posted and I couldnt see anything

what hosting is it ?  perhaps its a user / access issue ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I see them, but, funnily enough, I don't see a lot of berties pics. Friday humour thread etc.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    It’s meant to Kilgore said:
    Never mind the guitar. Nice looking boat. How long? Number of berths? More pics. 

It’s meant to be 6 berth but we only use it as two with the actual bedroom the only bed we use. It’s 58 ft long. Here’s a pic looking back towards the bathroom/toilet

And here’s the kitchen area

Is anyone else having trouble seeing the pics apart from Bertie?
    Lovely.  My parents had a narrowboat back in the 70's. We spent a lot of time on most of the navigable( at the time) waterways of England and Wales. The interiors are a lot more swanky these days! They used to look like cheap caravans. 

The last time I was on the water was nearly twenty years ago with the Mrs on the Oxford canal.  :)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited December 2022
    That snooty Kirsty Allsopp would have a few things to say about the bathroom being right next to the kitchen 

I can see the bottles of booze in the rack.  You're obviously well prepared.  I realise that depth perception from photos is misleading, but that looks like a tight squeeze for a fat lump like me to get through the gap into the kitchen area.  Looking at the photos I see something that hadn't even crossed my mind, and that is the way you have to restrain the bottom of the curtains because of the way the boat slopes inwards towards the top.  I would love to spend some time on a narrowboat, but I'm sure I would make some novice idiotic mistakes at the locks and people would either laugh their heads off or curse me.

@bertie ; Where does this hatch lead to, or should I say what is its purpose and what's on the other side?

hatch.jpg 39.5K
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks @stickyfiddle ; I was imagining a narrow "deck" of sorts (wide enough to walk along) on the other side rather than just a ledge.  The waiters in the beer garden of the mooring inn can bring your drink and food and hand it in through the hatch.
    I see them, but, funnily enough, I don't see a lot of berties pics. Friday humour thread etc.
    every cloud  ;) 

=)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    edited December 2022
    The hatch is good for feeding ducks! It’s nice having it open on a sunny day too. Bit cold atm! We’re currently on the Lancashire canal as that’s where we bought it. Moving down to the Trent and Mersey around Derbyshire area next year we think. The only prob is you have to get a professional to steer you across the ribble or have it winched and moved there by road.

Sorry for derailing the thread!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    The hatch is good for feeding ducks! It’s nice having it open on a sunny day too. Bit cold atm! We’re currently on the Lancashire canal as that’s where we bought it. Moving down to the Trent and Mersey around Derbyshire area next year we think. The only prob is you have to get a professional to steer you across the ribble or have it winched and moved there by road.

Personally I find it very interesting, even as a complete landlubber! Lovely pics, too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDL said:
    That snooty Kirsty Allsopp would have a few things to say about the bathroom being right next to the kitchen 

I can see the bottles of booze in the rack.  You're obviously well prepared.  I realise that depth perception from photos is misleading, but that looks like a tight squeeze for a fat lump like me to get through the gap into the kitchen area.  Looking at the photos I see something that hadn't even crossed my mind, and that is the way you have to restrain the bottom of the curtains because of the way the boat slopes inwards towards the top.  I would love to spend some time on a narrowboat, but I'm sure I would make some novice idiotic mistakes at the locks and people would either laugh their heads off or curse me.

@bertie ;; Where does this hatch lead to, or should I say what is its purpose and what's on the other side?

Unfortunately that's just the way a woman is created!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    whats with the asking me where the fucking hatch leads to ?

Im trying to fucking sleep here
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited December 2022
    Sorry if I kept you awake asking daft questions bertie  ...... whoops, I may have done it again ..... it's 03:25.  I sometimes forget that most people are not nocturnal like me.  Are you asleep right now?
  • bertie said:

Its for unruly guests while on the water.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    bertie said:

It’s for unruly guests while on the water.
    Needs a gangplank then :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    To err is human, too Arrr is pirate?  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203

I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon planning a hypothetical narrowboat trip from Lancashire to as close as I can get to my house, including working out how to cross the Ribble. It's very quiet in work!

I lived on a houseboat on the Thames at Richmond for a while, a long time ago. It was a converted barge, so not particularly narrow. My grandmother said that the sea was in our family's blood - my grandfather had been in the Merchant Navy. No other seafarers in our family, other than maybe some 17th century wreckers. I've never been tempted to sea since then. :D 
  • The talk about narrowboats is sending me into a daydream about travelling the British Isles in one. It also reminded me of that strangely hypnotic tv series following actors Timothy West and his wife Prunella Scales on their narrowboat around Europe and the UK. 
    Back to the dreary world of guitars!
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 598
    edited December 2022
    I have a Faith Nomad Mini Saturn as my easy, couch guitar. I got it in a sale a few years ago from PMT for £250 (new) and I love it. It does/did have a boxy sound but either I'm getting tuned in to it or the sound is developing (or both!).

It is comfortable for most things I play occasionally I do wish there were an extra 2 frets where it meets the body but that's only occasionally.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    GS mini, I find the fingerboard a touch too cramped though. Brilliant for just picking up for a quick play. 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    edited December 2022

I have a catchily named Martin 000X1SAE.  It's a sapele top and HPL back and sides.  I love it.  The neck and body size are perfect.  I prefer the sound of my HD-28, but I actually play the 000X1SAE more to be honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Soupman said:
    @Tannin that Cole Clark looks fabulous. I'm not usually a fan of any sort of bling but the mother of pearl inlays on that are very nicely done. The binding is tasteful & the wood used on the sides compliments the top very nicely.  In short, it's a corker! 
    PS ogling it again I just noticed the fancy tuning buttons.
    It is a fabulous guitar, @Soupman. Lots of bling - more than I usually care for - but It seems well-suited to this one and I have grown used to it. 

Cole Clark are known for their plugged-in sound and quality as an amplified stage guitar, and also known for using a lot of CNC in their build process. Their handful of one-off instruments (like this one) show evidence of a lot of care and attention to detail. It is by no means a loud guitar and when you first pick it up (especially if you have just put down something else) the first thing you notice is how trebly it is. Then you notice the feel. Finally you realise that - rather like a good Tele on the bridge pickup - it might be super trebly but you can hear every note on every string and they are all in balance.

It's three years old now and very gradually opening up and getting louder and richer. 

The tuners are simply a fancy model of Grover. They work just fine but look a little naff (in my opinion) and the gold plating  is wearing off.